- Volume 13 Issue 9
Recently corpus linguistic analyses enable researchers to examine meanings and structural features of data, that is not detected intuitively. While the potential of corpus linguistic techniques has been established and demonstrated for non-literary data, corpus stylistic analyses have been rarely performed in terms of the analysis of literature. Specifically this paper explores keywords and their role in text analysis, which is primary part of corpus linguistic analyses. This paper focuses on the application of techniques from corpus linguistics and the interpretation of results. This paper addresses the question of what is to be gained from keyword analysis by scrutinizing keywords in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.
Supported by : 상명대학교
- T. Tabata, Investigating Stylistic Variation in Dickens through Correspondence Analysis of Word-Class Distribution. In T. Saito, J. Nakamura, and S. Yamazaki (eds.). English corpus linguistics in Japan. Rodopi, Amsterdam and New York, pp.165-182, 2002.
- M. Stubbs, "Conrad in the computer: Examples of quantitative stylistic methods," Language and Literature, Vol.1, No.5, pp.5-24, 2005.
- M. H. Short, "Discourse Analysis and the Analysis of Drama," Applied Linguistics, Vol.2, No.2, pp.180-202, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1093/applin/2.2.180
- M. A. K. Halliday, Linguistic function and literary style: An inquiry into the language of William Golding's The Inheritors, In Literary style: A symposium. London & New York, Oxford University Press, pp.330-365. 1971.
- J. Sinclair, Corpus, concordance, collocation. Oxford University Press, 1991.
- R. Jakobson, Closing Statement: Linguistics and Poetics. In T.A. SEBEOK (ed.), Style in Language. Cambridge, MA: MIT 31971, pp.350-377, 1958.
- J. F. Burrows, Computation into criticism: A study of Jane Austen's novels and an experiment in method. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1987.
- T. Tabata, "Dickens Narrative Style: A Statistical Approach to Chronological Variation," RISSH, Vol.30, pp.165-182, 1994.
- M. Mahlberg, "Clusters, key clusters and local textual functions in Dickens," Corpora, Vol.2, No.1, pp.1-31, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3366/cor.2007.2.1.1
- J. Culpeper, "Keyness: Words, parts-of-speech and semantic categories in the character-talk of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet," International Journal of Corpus Linguistics, Vol.14, No.1, pp.29-59, 2009 https://doi.org/10.1075/ijcl.14.1.03cul
- N. E. Enkvist, M., Gregory, and J. Spencer, Linguistics and Style: on Defining Style: An Essay in Applied Liguistics. Oxford University Press, 1964.
- M. Scott, WordSmith Tools version 5, Liverpool: Lexical Analysis Software, 2008.
- M. Phillips, "Lexical structure of text. No.12", English language research, 1989.
- B. Fischer-Starcke, Corpus linguistics in literary analysis: Jane Austen and her contemporaries. Continuum, 2010.
- M. Scott, "PC analysis of key words - and key key words," System, Vol.25, No.2, pp.233-245, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0346-251X(97)00011-0
- P. Baker, "Querying Keywords Questions of Difference, Frequency, and Sense in Keywords Analysis," Journal of English Linguistics, Vol.32, No.4, pp.346-359, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/0075424204269894
- M. A. Oliver and R. Platt, "Embracing a new creed: lexical patterning and the encoding of ideology," College Literature, Vol.33, No.2, pp.154-170, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1353/lit.2006.0022
- M. Scott and C. Tribble, Textual patterns: Key words and corpus analysis in language education. John Benjamins Publishing, 2006.
- J. Culpeper, Computers, language and characterisation: an analysis of six characters in Romeo and Juliet, pp.11-30, 2002. http://eprints.lancs.ac.uk/id/eprint/31705.
- T. B. Sardinha, and L. Barbara, Corpus linguistics. The Handbook of Business Discourse. p.105, 2009.
- P. Rayson, Matrix: A statistical method and software tool for linguistic analysis through corpus comparison. Diss. 2003.
- 한혜원, 박경은, "전자책 콘텐츠의 체험성과 독서경험", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제11권, 제12호, pp.171-181, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.12.171
- D. Hanauer, "Attention and Literary Education," Language Awareness, Vol.8, pp.15-26, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/09658419908667114
- P. Rayson, "From key words to key semantic domains," International Journal of Corpus Linguistics, Vol.13, No.4, pp.519-549, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1075/ijcl.13.4.06ray