- Volume 36 Issue 3
Cicuta virosa L. (Apiaceae) is a perennial emergent plant designated as an endangered species in South Korea. According to the former records, only four natural habitats remain in South Korea. A former study suggested that three of four populations (Pyeongchang: PC, Hoengseong: HS, Gunsan: GS) would be classified as different ecotypes based on their different morphological characteristics and life cycle under different environmental conditions. To evaluate this suggestion, we estimated genetic diversity in each population and distance among three populations by random amplification of polymorphic DNA. Seven random primers generated a total of 61 different banding positions, 36 (59%) of them were polymorphic. Nei's gene diversity and the Shannon diversity index increased in the order of PC < HS < GS, which is the same order of population size. In the two-dimensional (2D) plot of first two principal components in principal component analysis with the presence of 61 loci, individuals could be grouped as three populations easily (proportion of variance = 0.6125). Nei's genetic distance for the three populations showed the same tendency with the geographical distance within three populations. And it is also similar to the result of discriminant analysis with the morphological or life-cycle factors from the previous study. From the results, we concluded that three different populations of C. virosa should be classified as ecotypes based on not only morphology and phenology but genetic differences in terms of diversity and distance as well.
ecotype;genetic distance;RAPD;water hemlock
- Bonnin I, Huguet T, Gherardi M, Prosperi JM, Olivieri I. 1996. High level of polymorphism and spatial structure in a selfing plant species, Medicago truncatula (Leguminosae), shown using RAPD markers. Am J Bot 83: 843-855. https://doi.org/10.2307/2446261
- Ellstrand NC, Elam DR. 1993. Population genetic consequences of small population size: implications for plant conservation. Ann Rev Ecol Syst 24: 217-242. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.es.24.110193.001245
- Fischer M, Husi R, Prati D, Peintinger M, van Kleunen M, Schmid B. 2000. RAPD variation among and within small and large population of the rare clonal plant Ranunculus reptans (Ranunculaceae). Am J Bot 87: 1128-1137. https://doi.org/10.2307/2656649
- Frankham R. 1996. Relationship of genetic variation to population size in wildlife. Conserv Biol 10: 1500-1508. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-1739.1996.10061500.x
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. 2013. GBIF data portal. http://data.gbif.org . Accessed 5 September 2013.
Hong YS. 2012. Effects of elevated
$CO_2$concentration and temperature on the phenology, growth response and reproductive ecology of Cicuta virosa, endangered plant in Korea. MS Thesis. Kongju University, Gongju, Korea. (in Korean)
- Hutchison DW, Templeton AR. 1999. Correlation of pairwise genetic and geographic distance measures: inferring the relative influences of gene flow and drift on the distribution of genetic variability. Evolution 53: 1898-1914. https://doi.org/10.2307/2640449
- Japanese Wildlife Research Association. 2012. In: Search system of Japanese RED data. http://www.jpnrdb.com/ search.php?mode=map&q=06031083218. Accessed 7 June 2012. (in Japanese)
- Kim C, Na HR, Choi HK. 2008. Genetic diversity and population structure of endangered Isoetes coreana in South Korea based on RAPD analysis. Aquat Bot 89: 43-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquabot.2008.02.004
- Korea National Arboretum. 2012. Korea biodiversity information system. http://www.nature.go.kr/wkbik1/ wkbik1312.leaf?hback=true&plntIlstrNo=24409#. UdoDCTsvnTo. Accessed 8 July 2013. (in Korean)
- Lee CB. 2003. Colored Flora of Korea. Hyangmoonsa, Seoul. (in Korean)
- Lee S, Ma S, Lim Y, Choi HK, Shin H. 2004. Genetic diversity and its implications in the conservation of endangered Zostera japonica in Korea. J Plant Biol 47: 275-281. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03030519
- Arghavani A, Asghari A, Shokrpour M, Chamanabad M. 2010. Genetic diversity in ecotypes of two Agropyron species using RAPD markers. Res J Environ Sci 4: 50-56. https://doi.org/10.3923/rjes.2010.50.56
- Beebee T, Graham R. 2008. An Introduction to Molecular Ecology, 2nd ed. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Milella L, Saluzzi D, Lapelosa M, Bertino G, Spada P, Greco I, Martelli G. 2006. Relationships between an Italian strawberry ecotype and its ancestor using RAPD markand ers. Genet Resour Crop Ev 53: 1715-1720. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10722-005-1405-7
- Min SJ, Kim HT, Kim JG. 2012. Assessment of genetic diversity of Typha angustifolia in the development of cattail stands. J Ecol Field Biol 35: 27-34. https://doi.org/10.5141/JEFB.2012.004
- Mulligan GA, Munro DB. 1981. The biology of Canadian weeds: 48. Cicuta maculata L., C. douglasii (DC.) Coult. & Rose and C. virosa L. Can J Plant Sci 61: 93-105. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjps81-012
- Nei M. 1973. Analysis of gene diversity in subdivided populations. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 70: 3321-3323. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.70.12.3321
- Newbury HJ, Ford-Lloyd BV. 1993. The use of RAPD for assessing variation in plants. Plant Growth Reg 12: 43-51. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00144581
- Ok GH, Yoo KO. 2012. Habitats ecological characteristics of Asplenium scolopendrium L. and its RAPD Analysis. Korean J Plant Res 25: 719-730. https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2012.25.6.719
- Panter KE, Keeler RF, Baker DC. 1988. Toxicoses in livestock from the hemlocks (Conium and Cicuta spp.). J Anim Sci 66: 2407-2413. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1988.6692407x
- R Development Core Team. 2013. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. URL http://www.Rproject.org/. Accessed 8 July 2013.
- Ray T, Roy SC. 2009. Genetic diversity of Amaranthus species from the Indo-Gangetic plains revealed by RAPD analysis leading to the development of ecotype-specific SCAR marker. J Hered 100: 338-347. https://doi.org/10.1093/jhered/esn102
- Sarreveld E, Hope E. 1975. Cicutoxin poisoning (water hemlock). Neurology 25: 730-734. https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.25.8.730
- Shin CJ, Nam JM, Kim JG. 2013. Comparison of environmental characteristics at Cicuta virosa habitats, an endangered species in South Korea. J Ecol Environ 36: 19-30. https://doi.org/10.5141/ecoenv.2013.003
- Shin CJ, Kim JG. 2013. Ecotypic differentiation in seed and seedling morphology and physiology among Cicuta virosa populations. Aquat Bot. DOI 10.1016/j.aquabot.2013.06.005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquabot.2013.06.005
- Strauss U, Wittstock U, Schubert R, Teuscher E, Jung S, Mix E. 1996. Cicutoxin from Cicuta virosa: a new and potent potassium channel blocker in T Lymphocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 219: 332-336. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1996.0233
- Tatar S. 2010. Seed longevity and germination characteristics of six fen plant species. Acta Biol Hung 61: 197-205. https://doi.org/10.1556/ABiol.61.2010.Suppl.19
- Virk PS, Ford-Lloyd BV, Jackson MT, Newbury HJ. 1995. Use of RAPD for the study of diversity within plant germplasm collections. Heredity 74: 170-179. https://doi.org/10.1038/hdy.1995.25
- Williams JGK, Kubelik AR, Livak KJ, Rafalski JA, Tingey SV. 1990. DNA polymorphisms amplified by arbitrary primers are useful as genetic markers. Nucleic Acids Res 18: 6531-6535. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/18.22.6531
- Yeh FC, Boyle TJB. 1997. Population genetic analysis of codominant and dominant markers and quantitative traits. Belg J Bot 129: 157.