- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Flow on Consumer Satisfaction through E-impulse Buying for Fashion Products
인터넷 쇼핑몰에서 플로우가 패션제품 충동구매를 통해 소비자 만족에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2013.01.04
- Accepted : 2013.07.20
- Published : 2013.08.31
Fashion products are frequently purchased on impulse and are also one of the most popular product categories sold online. Online environment attributes can facilitate flow experiences that are described as an optimal psychological state reached during an engagement in activities (e.g., games and e-shopping). This study estimated the path model to examine the causal relationships among shopping mall attributes, flow, e-impulse buying, and consumer satisfaction for fashion products. A total of 598 usable questionnaires were obtained from college students who had purchased fashion products through the Internet. Data were analyzed by exploratory factor analysis, confirmatory factor analysis, and path analysis using SPSS 18.0 and AMOS 18.0. The results showed that e-shopping mall attributes (visual attributes and product attributes) significantly influenced e-impulse buying (fashion-oriented impulse buying and promotion-oriented impulse buying) which was mediated by the consumer flow experience and then influenced by consumer satisfaction. In the path model, the flow was stimulated by shopping mall attributes, the e-impulse buying was influenced by flow, and the consumer satisfaction was influenced by e-impulse buying. Flow was the most highly related to the fashion-oriented impulse buying, and followed by the relationship of the flow and promotion-oriented impulse buying in the context of e-shopping for fashion products. A managerial implication was discussed for fashion product e-retailers to develop strategies on visual attributes and product attributes that could stimulate and increase the consumer flow to trigger impulse buying as well as consumer satisfaction.
flow;e-impulse buying;shopping mall attributes;consumer satisfaction;fashion products
- Adelaar, T., Chang, S., Lancendorfer, K. M., Lee, B. K., & Morimoto, M. (2003). Effects of media formats on emotions and impulse buying internet. Journal of Information Technology, 18(4), 247-266. https://doi.org/10.1080/0268396032000150799
- Anderson, R. E., & Srinivasan, S. S. (2003). E-satisfaction and eloyalty: a contingency framework. Psychology & Marketing, 20(2), 123-138. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.10063
- Biers, K., & Richards, L. (2005). Color as factor of product choice in e-commerce. The Review of Business Information Systems, 9(4), 33-40.
- Chang, H. S. (2009). Developing standards for measuring consumer's impulse purchasing in internet shopping mall and analysis of characteristics. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 27(4), 127-139.
- Chang, J. Y., & Lee, Y. J. (2010). Role of the flow that customers experience upon participating in the design process for the mass customization of apparel products. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(4), 606-616. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.4.606
- Dawson, S., & Kim, M. (2010). Cues on apparel web sites that trigger impulse purchases. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 14(2), 230-246. https://doi.org/10.1108/13612021011046084
- Doo, J. W. (2003). The relationship between the flow construct and consumers' buying intention over the internet, plus the difference test of buying behavior by flow type. Korean Management Review, 32(1), 87-118.
- Manganari, E. E., Siomkos, G. J., & Vrechopoulos, A. P. (2009). Store atmosphere in web retailing. European Journal of Marketing, 43(9/10), 1140-1153. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560910976401
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D. F. (1981). Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables nad measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18(1), 39-50. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- Forney, J. C., & Park, E. J. (2009). Browsing perspectives for impulse buying behavior of college students. TAFCS Research Journal, 1(1), 1-3.
- Ganesh, J., Reynolds, K. E., Luckett, M., & Pomirleanu, N. (2010). Online shopper motivations and e-store attributes: An examination of online patronage behavior and shopper typologies. Journal of Retailing, 86(1), 106-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2010.01.003
- Gardner, M. P., & Rook, D. W. (1988). Effects of impulse purchases on consumers' affective states. Advances in Consumer Research, 15, 127-130.
- Ha, J. M. (2003). A study on impulsive purchasing behavior of CATV home shoppers: Appearance management products. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Ha, Y., Kwon, W. S., & Lennon, S. J. (2007). Online visual merchandising (VMD) of apparel web sites. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 11(4), 477-493. https://doi.org/10.1108/13612020710824553
- Hausman, A. (2000). A multi-method investigation of consumer motivations in impulse buying behavior. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 17(5), 403-419. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363760010341045
- Hausman, A. V., & Siekpe, J. S. (2009). The effects of web interface features on consumer online purchase intentions. Journal of Business Research, 62(1), 5-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2008.01.018
- Hong, B. S. (2011). The effects of internet shopping malls attributes on purchase satisfaction, repurchase intention and word of mouth intention of fashion consumer. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 35(4), 476-487. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2011.35.4.476
- Hsu, C. L., Chang, K. C., & Chen, M. C. (2012a). Flow experience and internet shopping behavior: Investigating the moderating effect of consumer characteristics. Systems Research and Behavioral Science, 29(3), 317-332. https://doi.org/10.1002/sres.1101
- Hsu, C. L., Chang, K. C., & Chen, M. C. (2012b). The impact of website quality on consumer satisfaction and purchase intention: perceived playfulness and perceived flow as mediators. Information Systems and e-Business Management, 10(4), 549-570. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10257-011-0181-5
- Hunag, M. H. (2006). Flow, enduring, and situational involvement in the web environment: A tripartite second-order examination. Psychology & Marketing, 23(5), 383-411. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20118
- Jang, S. Y., Yang, H. S., & Lee, Y. R. (2009). Effect of interactivity, telepresence, and flow toward future behavior intention on internet shopping malls. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 33(9), 1409-1418. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2009.33.9.1409
- Jeffrey, S. A., & Hodge, R. (2007). Factors influencing impulse buying during on online purchase. Electronic Commerce Research, 7(3/4), 367-379. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10660-007-9011-8
- Jeong, J. Y. (2003). The study about the propensity to impulsive purchase and the influential factors. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Jung, D. J. (2009). A study of how emotional marketing strategy of Internet fashion shopping mall affects consumer's purchasing decision. Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Kang, E. M., & Park, E. J. (2009). Effects of cognitive age on consumer satisfaction and repurchase intention by elderly' lifestyle in the hair dressing Shop. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing and Industry, 11(1), 57-65.
- Kang, J. S. (2006). Study of impulse buying decision factor in the Internet and after purchase, the change the brand image (laying stress on digital camera). Unpublished master's thesis, Kyunghee University, Seoul.
- Kim, E. S., & Kim, M. Y. (2007). The satisfaction of store characteristics depending on on-line store type. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 31(8), 1310-1320. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.8.1310
- Kim, H. J., & Lennon, S. J. (2010). E-atmosphere, emotional, cognitive, and behavioral responses. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 14(3), 412-428. https://doi.org/10.1108/13612021011061861
- Kim, H. S. (2012). The effects of self-esteem, prices of appare products, and types of sales promotions on consumers' impulse buying behavior at internet shopping. Unpublished master's thesis, Sungkyunkwan University, Seoul.
- Kim, Y. K. (2008). A study on the purchasing behavior of clothing products in internet shopping malls - Focusing on stimulus factors of impulse purchase -. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Kwon, S. J. (2009). The measuring method of web-site flow and its simulation analysis. Knowledge Management Research, 10(2), 49-63.
- Lee, E. J., & Hong, B. S. (2006). The effect of flow experience and perceived utilitarian value of internet shopping on purchase intention of the fashion merchandise. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 30(8), 1188-1198.
- Lee, E. J. (2011). The effects of internet fashion consumer's impulse buying tendency on positive and negative purchasing behaviors. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing and Industry, 13(4), 511-522. https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2011.13.4.511
- Lee, H. J., & Kim, S. M. (2006). A study on the determinants of impulse purchase of clothing products in the internet shopping mall. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 14(6), 917-931.
- Lee, K. H., & Choi, J. Y. (2011). Fashion orientation, goal-directed or experiential motivations, shopping flow experience and purchasing behavior of fashion products. Journal of the Korea Fashion & Costume Design Association, 13(2), 185-193.
- Madhavaram, S. R., & Laverie, D. A. (2004). Exploring impulse purchasing on the Internet. Advanced in Consumer Research, 31, 51-66.
- Oh, J. C. (2008). A study on decision making process of impulsive buying in digital contents. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kyeonggi University, Suwon.
- Park, E. J., & Kang, E. M. (2005). Effects of shopping value, fashion shopping mall attributes, emotions and purchasing intention on purchasing behavior in internet fashion shopping malls. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 43(7), 117-128.
- Park, E. J., & Koh, S. B. (2008). Effects of internet shopping interest, shopping mall attribute, and emotions on impulse buying behavior for fashion Products in internet shopping mall. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 32(1), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2008.32.1.001
- Park, E. J., & Park, S. Y. (2010a). Effects of consumer innovativeness, shopping mall attributes, and satisfaction on e-loyalty for fashion products. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(5), 765-774. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.5.765
- Park, E. J., & Park, S. Y. (2010b). Mediating effects of flow on eimpulse buying for fashion products. Proceeding of the Korean Scholars of Marketing Sciences, Spring Conference, Korea, p. 53.
- Park, E. J., & Park, S. Y. (2011). A study the satisfaction about eimpulse buying. Proceeding of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, Spring Conference, Korea, p. 154.
- Park, E. J., Kim, E. Y., Funches, V. M., & Foxx, W. (2012). Apparel product attributes, web browsing, and e-impulse buying on shopping websites. Journal of Business Research, 65(11), 1583-1589. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.02.043
- Park, J. H. (2010). The effect of the flow in internet fashion shopping malls on brand equity. Unpublished master's thesis, Pusan National University, Pusan.
- Seock, Y. K., & Norton, M. J. T. (2007). Capturing college students on the web: analysis of clothing web site attributes. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 11(4), 539-552. https://doi.org/10.1108/13612020710824599
- Song, Y. W., Sung, M., & Kim, G. N. (2006). E-business: a the influence of store images on purchasing intention in the context of internet shopping mall: focused on mediating effects of the flow and information searching intention. The e-Business Studies, 7(4), 59-84.
- Suh, M. S., Chun, M. H., & Ahn, J. W. (2009). Impulse buying: Is it wasteful?. Journal of Consumer Studies, 20(1), 65-90.
- Sung, H. W. (2008). Effects of price perception and store attributes on fashion-related store choice behavior -focused on department store, discount store, and internet shopping mall-. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 32(8), 1274-1285. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2008.32.8.1274
- Tung, W., Moore, R., & Engelland, B. (2006). Exploring attitudes and purchase intentions in a brand-oriented, highly interactive web site setting. Marketing Management Journal, 16(2), 94-106.
- Venhagen, T., & Dolen, W. (2011). The influences of online store beliefs on consumer online impulse buying: A model and empirical application. Information & Management, 48, 320-327. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2011.08.001
- Weinberg, P., & Gottwald, W. (1982). Impulsive consumer buying as a result of emotion. Journal of Business Research, 10(1), 43-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(82)90016-9
- Wells, J. D., Parboteeah, V., & Valacich, J. S. (2011). Online impulse buying: understanding the interplay between consumer impulsiveness and website quality. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 12(1), 32-56.
- Wu, J. H., & Yuan, Y. (2003). Improving searching and reading performance: the effect of highlighting and text color coding. Information and Management, 40(7), 617-637. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7206(02)00091-5
- Yang, H. S., & Lee, Y. R. (2008). Effects of challenges and skills on flow-focused on a 2D shopping mall and a 3D shopping mall. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 32(4), 573-585. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2008.32.4.573
- Yu, B. R. (2010). A study about re-visit intention and the purchasing intention that used the flow in internet shopping mall: a comparative study of general shopping mall and specialized shopping mall. Unpublished master's thesis, Soongsil University, Seoul.
- Yum, M. J. (2009). A study on the shopping orientation and impulse purchasing behavior of clothing products in the internet shopping mall -focusing on stimulus factors of price and vanity-. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- 2012 Retail report. (2011, November 24). rcri.shinsegae.com. Retrieved May 10, 2012, from http://rcri.shinsegae.com/research/w_rs_020.aspx
- Effects of Shopping Motives and Apps Browsing on Mobile Impulse Buying of Fashion Products vol.19, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2017.19.3.280
- The Effects of Image Based Fashion Brands' SNS Toward Flow and Brand Attitude : Focus on Pleasure Emotion as Mediator vol.16, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2014.16.6.908
- Annotation Technique Development based on Apparel Attributes for Visual Apparel Search Technology vol.17, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2015.17.5.731
- Impacts of Fashion Products Attributes and Mobile Shopping Mall Attributes on Impulse Buying Behavior and Satisfaction in Mobile Fashion Shopping Mall vol.18, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.2.158
- The Effect of Fashion Brand Apps on Smartphones Flow and Consumer Satisfaction in Mobile Shopping vol.18, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.6.825
- Comparative Analysis Between Korean and Chinese Students in regards to Fashion Product Impulse Buying and Internet Shopping Satisfaction vol.16, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2014.16.6.879
- The Study of Impulse Buying Behavior according to Consumption Value in Mobile Fashion Shopping Mall vol.17, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2015.17.3.372
- Mobile app Loyalty of Cross-over Shoppers: A Comparison of Korean and Chinese vol.20, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.3.293
Supported by : 동아대학교