- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Periodic Video Education on Knowledge about Hemodialysis, Patient Role Behavior and the Physiologic Index in Patients with Hemodialysis
주기적 영상교육이 혈액투석환자의 투석 관련 지식, 환자역할행위, 생리적 지표에 미치는 효과
- Received : 2013.07.01
- Accepted : 2013.08.16
- Published : 2013.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of periodic video education on knowledge about hemodialysis, patient role behavior and the physiologic index in patients with hemodialysis. Methods: One-group pretest-posttest design was applied. A total of 50 patients with hemodialysis at a university hospital hemodialysis unit in Daegu participated. Periodic video education about kidney function, diet, arteriovenous fistula management, medication, and exercise was administered to them for 12 weeks at intervals of 2 weeks. Before and after the education, the participants completed the self-administered questionnaires of knowledge about hemodialysis and patient role behavior and the measures of serum potassium and phosphorus concentration, weight gain between hemodialysis sessions, and adequacy of dialysis (Kt/V). Statistical analysis was performed using paired t-test. Results: Knowledge about hemodialysis and patient role behavior were significantly different between before and after education (p<.01). For the physiologic index, serum potassium concentration and weight gain between hemodialysis sessions were not significantly different but the serum phosphorus concentration and Kt/V were significantly different between before and after education (p<.05). Conclusion: The results suggest that the periodic video education for patients with hemodialysis contributed to the change and improvement in knowledge about hemodialysis, patient role behavior, and the physiologic index.
- An, G. J. (2009). Effects of self-care program using SMS, e-mail, or telephone call on self-care compliance and nutritional status in hemodialysis patients. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 11(2), 157-166.
- Bae, J. E. (2005). A study on the status of hemodialysis patient education. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Bryant, J., & Thompson, S. (2005). Fundamentals of media effects (H. S. Bae, trans.). Seoul: Hanul. (Original work published 2001)
- Chang, Y. S., Kim, K. S., Kim, Y. J., Lim, C. S., Cha, D. R., Jin, D. C., et al. (2011). Kidney disease. Seoul: Health M&P.
- Cho, M. K., & Choe, M. A. (2007). Self care behavior of hemodialysis patients. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 9(2), 105-117.
- Hemodialysis Adequacy 2006 Work Group. (2006). Clinical practice guidelines for hemodialysis adequacy, update 2006. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 48(1) Suppl1, S2-S90. http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/j.ajkd.2006.04.063 https://doi.org/10.1053/j.ajkd.2006.03.051
- Hong, K. Y. (1999). A study of the relationships among dialysis related knowledge, self efficacy and compliance of patient role behavior in hemodialysis patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Hospital Nurses Association. (1994). Management Manual For Hemodialysis Patients. Seoul: Korea Medical Book Publisher.
- Hwang, K. M. (2008). Study on the knowledge about hemodialysis and the needs for education in hemodialysis patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam National University, Daejeon.
- Kang, S. H., & Park, C. H. (2010). Adequacy of dialysis: Beyond Kt/V. The Korean Journal of Nephrology, 29, 544-550.
- Kim, A. L. (2012). Effects of structured arm exercise on arteriovenous fistula stenosis in hemodialysis patients. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 14(4), 300-307. http://dx.doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.4.300 https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.4.300
- Kim, A. Y., & Kim, S. J. (2008). The effect of education program on early hemodialysis patients' knowledge, self-care practice and physiologic index. Chonnam Journal of Nursing Science, 13(1), 95-109.
- Kim, J. H., & Kim, M. S. (1992). A study of effect on continuous education for diet and medication control in hemodialysis patient. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 4(2), 193-208.
- Kim, K. S., Kim, Y. S., Choi, K. O., Hyun, K. S., Yoon, E. J., Kim, S. Y., et al. (2012). Medical surgical nursing (7th ed.). Seoul: Soomoonsa.
- Kim, Y. J., & Yoo, Y. S. (2006). Effects of individualized education on knowledge, compliance, and physiologic parameters in hemodialysis patients. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 18(3), 367-376.
- Lee, H. M., Ryu, S. A., Kim, E. A., & Jang, K. S. (2009). Factors influencing sleep disorders in patients on dialysis. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 16(2), 190-199.
- Lee, M. L., Ok, C. S., & Kim, J. S. (2008). Attitude and health behavior about bath therapy in a citizen. Journal of Korean Society of Urban Environment, 8(1), 5-17.
- Lee, S. H. (2003). The effect of teaching methods on self-care knowledge and performance in patients with cancer. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Lee, S. J., Park, H. S., Han, J. H., Kim, H. J., Seo, M. W., Choi, E. A., et al. (2009). Effects of an individualized education program on knowledge, compliance and physiologic parameters in non-compliant hemodialysis patients. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 15(3), 5-16.
- Long, J. M., Kee, C. C., Graham, M. V., Saethang, T. B., & Dames, F. D. (1998). Medication compliance and the older hemodialysis patient. American Nephrology Nurses Association Journal, 25(1), 43-52.
- Na, D. M., Lee, K. O., & Song, E. S. (2004). Relationship between the knowledge of hemodialysis and the compliance of patient role behavior in hemodialysis patients. The Medical Journal of Chosun University, 29(3), 12-20.
- Oh, P. J., Lee, E. O., Tae, Y. S., & Um, D. C. (1997). Effects of a program to promote self-efficacy and hope on the self-care behaviors and the quality of life in patients with leukemia. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 27(3), 627-638.
- Padilla, J., Krasno, J., DaSilva, M., Hsu, C. Y., Frassetto, L., Johansen, K. L., et al. (2008). Physical functioning in patients with chronic kidney disease. Journal of Nephrology, 21(4), 550-559.
- Park, H. M., & Lee, H. S. (2010). Effects of empowerment education program for hemodialysis patients on self-efficacy, self-care agency, self-care activities and physiologic parameters. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, 13(2), 151-160.
- Suh, M. R., Jung, H. H., & Park, J. S. (2001). The effects of an exercise training in hemodialysis patients. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 3(1), 29-40.
- The Korean Society of Nephrology. (2012). Current Renal Replacement Therapy in Korea-Insan Memorial Dialysis Registry, 2011-. Retrieved April 29, 2013, from http://www.ksn.or.kr/journal/2012/index.html
- Tschong, Y. K. (2010). Padagogik im visuellen Zeitalter: Zur Betrachtung des Zusammenhanges von Bild und Bildung. The Korean Journal of Philosophy of Education, 50, 189-206.
- Woo, H. J., Lee, C. H., Kang, E. T., & Yu, S. H. (1989). A clinical study on factors influencing survival rate in patients with long term hemodialysis. The Official Journal of Research Institute of Medical Science of Korea, 21(3), 302-310.
- Woo, K. R. (2001). Study on the factors affecting self care behaviors of hemodialysis patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon.