- Volume 31 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Calibration of Hydrographic Survey Multibeam System Using Terrestrial Laser Scanning and TS Surveying
지상 레이저 스캐닝과 TS 측량을 이용한 멀티빔 시스템의 검·보정
- Kim, Jin Soo (ZEN21 Corporation)
- Received : 2013.03.26
- Accepted : 2013.05.15
- Published : 2013.06.30
In hydrographic survey, data surveyed with multibeam system includes various errors due to multiple factors. These are corrected by a calibration called patch test, and if existing method is used, the test needs to be conducted for about 8 times for precise system calibration. For more prompt and precise multibeam system calibration, the exact offset of a ship was determined using terrestrial laser scanning and TS surveying, which was used as the initial input for the patch test. In the result, the error of closure was 0.001 m or less for TS surveying and backsight error was 0.005 m or less for scanning. All the surveying data based on the same local coordinate was converted into vessel reference coordinate during which R-square for all rotation angles was 0.99 or higher and standard deviation was 0.008 m or less. Finally, in a patch test using calculated offset of sensors and motion sensor offset, the offset of MBES transducer satisfied manual on hydrography only with 1-time calibration. With these results, it is thought that terrestrial laser scanning and TS surveying can fully be utilized for multibeam system calibration.
- Choi, C., Kim, Y., and Seo, Y. (2005), Improvement of Multi-beam Echo Sounder's Depth Accuracy, Journal of the Korean Society of Surveying, Geodesy, Photogrammetry and Cartography, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 1-8. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Caris (2009), HIPS and SIPS 7.0 User's Guide. http://www.caris.com/products/hips-sips/ (last date accessed:5 January 2013).
- Godin, A. (1998), The calibration of shallow water multibeam echo-sounding systems, M.S. Thesis, Dept. Geomatics Eng., Univ. New Brunswick, Fredericton, NB, Canada.
- IHO (1998), IHO Standards for Hydrographic Surveys, Special Publication No. 44, 4th Edition, International Hydrographic Bureau, Monaco.
- IHO (2005), Manual on Hydrography, Publication No. M-13, 1st Edition, International Hydrographic Organization, Monaco. http://www.iho.shom.fr
- Kang, M., Choi, Y., Jang, M., Yoon, H. (2010), A Study on MBES Error Data Removing Using Motion Sensor, Journal of the Korean Society of Surveying, Geodesy, Photogrammetry and Cartography, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 39-46. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Nardez, N.N., Krueger, C.P., Vargas, S.L. (2011), Methodology to Obtain the Offsets between Sensors of Hydrographic Ships, Journal of Coastal Research, Special Issue 64, pp. 1712-1217.
- Park, J., Kim, J., Roh, J., Seo, G. (2007), Design factors for 100% Swath Capability with Multi-Beam Echo Sounders, The Korean Society of Marine Engineering 2007 Conference, pp. 225-226.
- Roh, J., Choi, Y., Yoon, H., Lee, Y. (2009), Establishment Error Calibration Method on MBES, Journal of GIS Association of Korea, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 351-359. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Simrad (1992), SIMRAD EM1000, Hydrographic echo sounder: Product Description, Simrad Subsea A/S, Horten, Norway, #P2415E.
- Wheaton, G.E. (1988), Patch Test, a system check for multibeam survey system, Third Biennial U.S. Hydrographic Conference, Proceedings, April 12-15, Baltimore, MD, pp. 85-90.