- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Review of Structural Design Provisions of Rectangular Concrete Filled Tubular Columns
각형 콘크리트충전 강관기둥 부재의 구조설계기준 비교연구
- Lee, Cheol Ho (Dept. of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Kang, Ki Yong (Dept. of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Sung Yong (Dept. of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Koo, Cheol Hoe (Dongbu Corporation)
- Received : 2013.02.28
- Accepted : 2013.07.29
- Published : 2013.08.27
The structural provisions of rectangular CFT (concrete-filled tubular) columns in the 2005/2010 AISC Specification, ACI 318-08, and EC4 were comparatively analyzed as a preliminary study for establishing the unified standards for composite structures. The provisions analyzed included those related to the nominal strength, the effect of confinement, plate slenderness, effective flexural stiffness, and the material strength limitations. Small or large difference can be found among the provisions of AISC, ACI, and EC4. Generally, the 2010 AISC Specification provides the revised provisions which reflect up-to-date test results and tries to minimize the conflict with the ACI provisions. For example, the 2010 AISC Specification introduced a more finely divided plate slenderness limits for CFT columns. In seismic applications, the plate slenderness limits required for highly and moderately ductile CFT columns were separately defined. However, the upper cap limitations on material strengths in both the AISC and EC4 provisions are too restrictive and need to be relaxed considering the high-strength material test database currently available. This study found that no provisions reviewed in this paper provide a generally satisfactory method for predicting the P-M interaction strength of CFT columns under various material combinations. It is also emphasized that a practical constitutive model, which can reasonably reflect the stress-strain characteristics of confined concrete of rectangular CFT columns, is urgently needed for a reliable prediction of the P-M interaction strength.
CFT;material strength ratio;high strength steel;KBC 2009;2010 AISC;2005 AISC;eurocode 4;ACI
Supported by : 한국건설교통기술평가원
- ECS (2005) Design of composite steel and concrete structures, European Committee for standardization, UK.
- ACI (2008). Building code requirements for structural concrete (ACI 318-08) and commentary, American Concrete Institute, USA.
- AISC (2005) Specification for structural steel buildings, American Institute of Steel Construction, USA.
- 최영환 (2012) 콘크리트 충전 각형강관 기둥의 폭두께비 제한에 관한 연구, 한국강구조학회논문집, 한국강구조학회, 제 24권, 제4호, pp.451-458. Choi, Y.H. (2012) Limitations on the width-tothickness ratio of rectangular concrete-filled tubular (CFT), Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction, KSSC, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp.451 -458 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.7781/kjoss.2012.24.4.451
- 김철환, 김성은 (2010) 콘크리트 충전 각형강관 주각부의 내력 및 변형에 관한 연구, 한국강구조학회논문집, 한 국강구조학회, 제 22권, 제3호, pp.253-260. Kim, C.H. and Kim, S.E. (2010) A Study on the behaviors of column-to-footing connections for Concrete Filled Tube(CFT) System, Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction, KSSC, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp.253-260 (in Korean).
- 심현주, 최병정, 이은택 (2012) 중심압축력을 받는 내진 건축구조용 각형강관 CFT 부재의 구조성능 평가, 한국강구조학회논문집, 한국강구조학회, 제24권, 제4호, pp.443-450. Shim, H.J., Choi, B.J., and Lee, E.T. (2012) Stuructural performance evaluation to centrally compressed CFT columns using seismic rectangular steel tube, Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction, KSSC, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp.443-450 (in Korean).
- AISC (2010) Specification for structural steel buildings, American Institute of Steel Construction, USA.
- 대한건축학회(2009) 건축구조설계기준 및 해설(KBC 2009), 기문당. AIK (2009) Korea building code and commentary - structural, Architectural Institute of Korea (in Korean).
- Leon, R.T., Kim, D.K., and Hajjar, J.F. (2007) Limit state response of composite columns and beam-columns. Part 1: Formulation of design provisions for the 2005 AISC specification, Engineering Journal, AISC, no. 4, pp. 341-358.
- Rondal, J. and Maquoi, R. (1979) Single equation for SSRC column strength curves, Journal of the structureal Division, Vol. 105, No. 1, pp.247-250.
- Fujimoto, T., Mukai, A., Nishiyama, I., and Sakino, K. (2004) Behavior of eccentrically loaded concretefilled steel tubular columns, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 130, No. 2, pp.203-212. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:2(203)
- Liu, D. and Gho, W. (2005) Axial load behaviour of high strength rectangular concrete filled steel tubular stub columns, Thin-Walled Structures, Vol. 43, No. 8, pp.1131-1142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2005.03.007
- Lue, D.M., Liu, J., and Yen, T. (2007) Experimental study on rectangular CFT columns with highstrength concrete, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol. 63, No. 1, pp.37-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.03.007
- Varma, A.H., Ricles, J.M., Sause, R., and Lu, L.W. (2002) Experimental behavior of high stength square concrete-filled steel tube beam-columns, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 128, No. 3, pp.309-318. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:3(309)
- Mander, J.B., Priestley, M., and Park, R. (1988) Theoretical stress strain model for concrete, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 114, No. 8, pp.1804-1826. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1804)
- Review of Design Flexural Strengths of Steel–Concrete Composite Beams for Building Structures vol.10, pp.S3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40069-016-0146-7
- Stress-transfer in concrete encased and filled tube square columns employed in top-down construction vol.22, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.22.1.063