- Volume 55 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Carcass Characteristics and Profitability Analysis Based on Slaughter Age of Hanwoo Steers
- Lee, Sang-Cheol (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Choi, Hyun-Ho (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Shin, Jeong-Seop (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Kyoung-Hoon (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Oh, Young-Kyoon (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Cheon, Dong-Won (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA)
- Received : 2013.06.25
- Accepted : 2013.07.18
- Published : 2013.08.31
This study analyzed optimal slaughter ages and carcass traits to investigate factors that affect farm incomes. Carcass characteristics and economical analysis of 81 Hanwoo steers previously tested (Expt. 1) and 5,826 steers from Gangwon-Do, area A (Expt. 2) were used. In Expt. 1, the strongest relationship was between the slaughter age and the carcass weight based on the
- Chung, K. K. 1997. The effects of slaughter age on beef production and profit of Hanwoo steers. Seminar in Council of Youngnam Hanwoo development.
- Korean Feeding Standard for Hanwoo. 2012. National Institute of Animal Science, RDA. http://www.nias.go.kr.
- Korea Institute for Animal Products Quality Evaluation. 2012. http://www.ekapepia.com.
- Kim, K. H., Lee, J. H., Oh, Y. G., Kang, S. W., Lee, S. C., Park, W. Y. and Ko, Y. D. 2005, The optimal TDN Levels of concentrates and slaughter age in Hanwoo steers. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol.(Kor.) 47:731-744. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2005.47.5.731
- Kim, T. K., Lee, S. Y., Kwon, O. O., Park, J. H. and Jung, K. K. 2002. Optimal age of high quality Hanwoo beef. J. Agri. Management and Policy. 29:627-638.
- Lee, J. H., Koh, Y. K., Lee, M. I., Joung, J., Cho, S. J., Cho, Y. D., Lee, S. J. and Woo, G. Y. 2010. Economical analysis based on slaughter age of Hanwoo and case investigation for outstanding farms. http://www.hanwooboard.or.kr.
- MAFRA. 2010. Action plan for reducing production cost in agriculture. http://www.mafra.go.kr.
- Okumura, T., Saito, K., Sakuma, H., Nade, T., Nakayama, S. and Fujita, K. 2007. Intramuscular fat deposition in principal muscles from twenty-four to thirty months of age using identical twins of Japanese Black steers. Journal of Animal Science. 85:1902-1907. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-752
- Okumura., T., Saito, K., Sowa, T., Sakuma, H., Ohhashi, F., Tameoka, N., Hirayama, M., Nakayama, S., Sato, S., Gogami, T., Akaida, M., Kobayashi, E., Konishi, K., Yamada, S. and Kawamura, T. 2012. Changes in beef sensory traits as somatic-cell-cloned Japanese black steers increased in age from 20 to 30 months Meat Science 90:159-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.06.020
- The Statistics Korea, 2012. Livestock Production Cost. http://kosis.kr
- Yamazaki, I. 1981. The effect of age and fatness on the meat quality and quantity of beef cattle. III. The changes of marbling score of the cut surface of loin, and inner muscular fat contents of various cuts with the increase of age. Bull. Natl. Grassland Res. Inst. 18:69-77.
- Zembayashi, M., Lunt, D. K. and Smith, S. B. 1999. Dietary tea reduces the iron content of beef. Meat Sci. 53:221-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00058-3