- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A study on Factors that Influence the Usage of Mobile Apps - Based on Flow Theory and Unified Theory of Acceptance and Use of Technology -
모바일 앱 이용에 영향을 미치는 요인 : - 플로우 이론과 통합기술수용모형을 바탕으로 -
- Kim, Young-Chae (Graduate School of Business IT, Kookmin Univ.) ;
- Jeong, Seung Ryul (Graduate School of Business IT, Kookmin Univ.)
- Received : 2013.05.08
- Accepted : 2013.07.13
- Published : 2013.08.31
This study, based on flow theory and unified theory of acceptance and use of technology (UTAUT), examines various factors that influence the continuous use of mobile applications, particularly those providing users with satisfaction and pleasure as well as useful information. This study extends the previous studies that have been based on technology acceptance model, in which usefulness and ease of use are key determinants of use of new technology, by introducing flow theory in explaining the use of various technologies in mobile environment. For this purpose, this study employes a survey based field study and collects data from individuals who use fashion mobile apps since these are considered to provide fun and pleasures. This study finds that flow theory is a proper framework to understand the use of mobile technology, indicating flow experience is an important variable to determine the usage of fashion apps. In addition, performance expectation, effort expectation, social influence, and facilitation condition are found to be significant in influencing use of mobile apps, suggesting UTAUT still plays an important role in understanding the use of mobile technology.
Supported by : 국민대학교
- Naver Encyclopedia, 2011. http://www.naver.com
- Wikipedia, 2011 www.wikipedia.org
- Apple, http://www.apple.com 2011.1
- Gartner. http://www.gartner.com 2010
- Trend Monitor, http://www.trendmonitor.co.kr 2010
- Davis F. D, Bagozzi R. P, Warshaw P. R. "User Acceptance of Computer Technology: A Comparison of Two Theoretical Models" Management Science v.35, No.8, 1989, pp.982- 1003 https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.35.8.982
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. "Play and intrinsic rewards" Journal of Humanistic Psychology, v.15, no.3, 1975, pp.41-63 https://doi.org/10.1177/002216787501500306
- Privette, G. and Bundrick, C.M., "Measurement of Experience: Construct and Content Validity of the Experience Questionnaire," Perceptual and Motor Skills, 65, 1987.
- Csikszentmihalyi, M.,&Csikszentmihalyi, I. Introduction to Part IV in Optical Experience: Psychological Studies of Flow in Consciousness. 1988, Cambridge University Press
- Ellis, G.D., Voelkl, J.E., and Morris, C., "Measurement and Analysis Issues with Explanation of Variance in Daily Experience Using the Flow Model," Journal of Leisure Research, 26(4), 1994.
- Ghani, J.A., Supnick, R., and Rooney, P., "The Experience of Flow in Computer-Mediated and in Face-to-Face Groups," Proceedings of the Twelfth international Conference on Information Systems, DeGross, J.I, I. Benbasat, G. DeSanctis, and C. M. Beath, Eds., New York, December 1991.
- Csikszentmihalyi, M., & Lefevre, J. "Optimal Experience in Work and Leisure" Journal of Personality and Social Psychology v.56, 1990, pp.815-822
- Hsu C.L. and Lu H.P. "Why do people play on-line games An extended TAM with social influences and flow experience" Information & Management, v.41, no.7, 2004, pp. 853-868 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2003.08.014
- Park, J.W., Yoon, S.J., and Choi, D.C., "A Study on Consumer Purchase Intention Using a Flow", Journal of Korean academy of marketing science, v.12, 2003, pp. 59-75. https://doi.org/10.1080/12297119.2003.9707204
- Lu Y., Zhou T., and Wang B. "Exploring Chinese users' acceptance of instant messaging using the theory of planned behavior, the technology acceptance model, and the flow theory" Computers in Human Behavior, v.25, 2009, pp.29-39 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2008.06.002
- Sanchez, M. and Franco M.J "The quasimoderating effect of perceived affective quality on an extending Technology Acceptance Model" Computers & education, v.54, no.1, 2010, pp.37-46 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2009.07.005
- Ryu, I. and Choi, H.R., "The Effect of Social Influence on Flow, Perceived Usefulness and Intention to Use in Online Community" The Journal of information systems, v.17, no.2, 2008, pp.113-135 https://doi.org/10.5859/KAIS.2008.17.2.113
- Hoffman, D. and Novak, T. "Marketing in Hypermedia Computer-Mediated Environments: Conceptual Foundations," Journal of Marketing, 1996.
- Novak T. P., Hoffman,D. L., and Yung, Y. F. "Measuring the customer experience in online environments: A structural modeling approach" working paper, 1998 Vanderbilt University
- Baek, S.Y., "In Search of Moderators in the Technology Acceptance Model with Meta-Analysis" Korean Management Review, v.38, no.5, 2009, pp.1353- 1380.
- Venkatesh, V., Morris, M. G., and Davis, G. B. "User Acceptance of Information Technology: Toward a Unified View MIS quarterly" management information systems, v.27, no.3, 2003, pp.425-478 https://doi.org/10.2307/30036540
- Kijsanayotin. B., Pannarunothai. S., Speedie. S. M., "Factors influencing health information technology adoption in Thailand's community health centers: Applying the UTAUT model" international journal of medical informatics, v.7, no.38, 2009, pp.404-416
- Yoo, H., Kim, M.Y., and Kwon, O., "A Study of Factors Influencing Ubiquitous Computing Service Acceptance" The Journal of Korean Institute of CALS/EC, v.13, no.2, 2008, pp.117-147.
- Wang Y.S. and Shih Y.W "Why do people use information kiosks: A validation of the Unified Theory of Acceptance and Use of Technology" Government Information Quarterly, v.26, 2009, pp158-165 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.giq.2008.07.001
- Zhou, T., Lu, Y., and Wang, B. "Integrating TTF and UTAUT to explain mobile banking user adoption" Computers in human behavior, v.26, no.4, 2010, pp.760-767 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2010.01.013
- Verkasalo H., Lopez-Nicolas, C., Molina-Castillo, F. J,, and Bouwman, H., "Analysis of users and non-users of smartphone applications" Telematics and Informatics, v.27, 2010, pp.242-255 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2009.11.001
- Koh, Y.J. and Lee, H.I., "A Study on the Changes of Behavior Patterns in Smartphone Users by Shadowing Early iPhone Users", Journal of Product Research, v.28, no.1, 2010, pp.111-120
- Nam, J.H., "A Study on Factors Influencing S-DMB Adoption : Focused on Technology Acceptance Model" Journal of digital contents society, v.8, n.2, 2007, pp.173-189.
- Lee, S., Kim, Y., Seoh, H.S., and Lee, B.G., Acceptance and Rejection of Smartphones Application Genre Repertoire" Proceedings of 2010 KSII Conference, 2010.6, pp.271-276
- Jeong, J.K. and Jang, K.J., "A Study on the Factors of Smart-phone Selection Centered on Actual Users" The e-business studies, v.11, no.4, 2010, pp.361-379 https://doi.org/10.15719/geba.11.4.201011.361
- Kim, K.Y., Lee, D.S., Seol, J.S., and Lee, B.G., "Analysis of Determinants and Moderator Effects of User Age and Experience for VoIP Acceptance", The KIPS Transactions Part D, v.16D, no.6, 2009, pp.945-960 https://doi.org/10.3745/KIPSTD.2009.16D.6.945
- Kwon, O., Oh, J., Seo, H., Choi, H. Lim, K., and Yang, H., "Acceptance of BSC System in Public Sector using TAM and UTAUT" Proceedings of 2008 KMIS Conference, 2008, pp.680-688
- Chang I.C. and Hwang H.G "Physicians' acceptance of pharmacokinetics-based clinical decision support systems" Expert systems with applications, v.33, no.2, 2007, pp.296-303 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2006.05.001
- Lee, M.B., "The impact of flow on learning performance in the e-Learning systems", Journal of the Korea Industrial Information System Society, v.15, no.1, 2010, pp.85-94
- Lee, S.C., Jung, J.W., and Lee, H.G., "Flow and Brand Equity on the Internet Auction", The Journal of Korean Institute of CALS/EC, v.13, no.2, 2008, pp.56-82
- Lee, E.J. and Hong, B.S., "The Effect of Flow Experience and Perceived Utilitarian Value of Internet Shopping on Purchase Intention of the Fashion Merchandise", Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, v.30, no.8, 2006, pp.1188-1198
- Yoo, S.J., Choi, E.B., and Kim, H.J., "An Empirical Study on the Flow Experience Affected by Characteristics of Mobile Internet" Information Systems Review v.8, no.1, 2006, pp.125-139
- Yang, H.S. and Lee, Y., "Effects of Challenges and Skills on Flow-focused on a 2D Shopping Mall and a 3D Shopping Mall" Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, v.32, no.4, 2008, pp.573-585. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2008.32.4.573
- Lee, W. and Kwon, J., "A Cross Genre Study of the Relationship among Flow, its Antecedents, and the Reuse Intention in Online Games", Journal of the Korean Operations Research and Management Science Society, v.30, no.4, 2005, pp.131-150
- Oh, J.C., Kwon, H.K., and Hong, S.J., "A Study on the Mediating Effect of FLOW between Marketing Stimulation and Impulsive Buying Behavior : The Moderating Role of Self Behavior Control and Sensation Seeking Tendency", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, v.11, no.1, 2010, pp.278-286 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.1.278
- Jang, J.Y. and Lee, Y.J., "Role of the Flow that Customers Experience upon Participating in the Design Process for the Mass Customization of Apparel Products", Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, v.34, no.4, 2010, pp.606-616 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.4.606
- Bagozzi, R. P. and Yi, T. "On the evaluation of structural equation models" Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science v.16, no.1, 1988,
- Fornell. C. and Larcker. D. F., "Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error" Journal of Marketing Research, v.18, no.1, 1981
- Kim, Y.H., Jang, J.Y., Kim, M.G., and Kim, J.H., "Exploring Causes of the Habitual Use of Text-based Online Social Interaction (TOSI): Focusing on Internet Self-efficacy, Social Presence and Intimacy", Korean Journal of Communication & Information, v.38, 2007, pp.119-146.
- Browne, M. W., Cudeck, R. Testing structural equation models (1993)
- Bentler, P. M. "Comparative fit indexes in structural models" Psychological Bulletin, v.107, no.2, 1990, pp.238-246 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.107.2.238
- Tucker L. R. and Lewis C., "A reliability coefficient for maximum likelihood factor analysis" Psychometrika, v.38, no.1, 1973, pp.1-10 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02291170
- Market Segmentation of Converging New Media Advertising: The Interpretative Approach Based on Consumer Subjectivity vol.15, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7472/jksii.2014.15.4.91
- An Empirical Analysis on the Persistent Usage Intention of Chinese Personal Cloud Service vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7472/jksii.2015.16.3.79