- Volume 5 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analytical study on the influence of distributed beam vertical loading on seismic response of frame structures
- Mergos, P.E. (City University London, School of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences, Department of Civil Engineering) ;
- Kappos, A.J. (City University London, School of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences, Department of Civil Engineering)
- Received : 2012.10.30
- Accepted : 2013.05.14
- Published : 2013.08.07
Typically, beams that form part of structural systems are subjected to vertical distributed loading along their length. Distributed loading affects moment and shear distribution, and consequently spread of inelasticity, along the beam length. However, the finite element models developed so far for seismic analysis of frame structures either ignore the effect of vertical distributed loading on spread of inelasticity or consider it in an approximate manner. In this paper, a beam-type finite element is developed, which is capable of considering accurately the effect of uniform distributed loading on spreading of inelastic deformations along the beam length. The proposed model consists of two gradual spread inelasticity sub-elements accounting explicitly for inelastic flexural and shear response. Following this approach, the effect of distributed loading on spreading of inelastic flexural and shear deformations is properly taken into account. The finite element is implemented in the seismic analysis of plane frame structures with beam members controlled either by flexure or shear. It is shown that to obtain accurate results the influence of distributed beam loading on spreading of inelastic deformations should be taken into account in the inelastic seismic analysis of frame structures.
- Anagnostopoulos, S. (1981), "Inelastic beams for seismic analysis of structures", J. Struct. Eng.- ASCE, 107(7), 1297-1311.
- Addessi, D. and Ciampi, V. (2007), "A regularized force-based beam element with a damage-plastic section constitutive law", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., 70(5), 610-629. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1911
- Beyer, K., Dazio, A. and Priestley, M.J.N. (2011), "Shear deformations of slender R/C walls under seismic loading", ACI Struct. J., 108(2), 167-177.
- Ceresa, P., Petrini, L. and Pinho, R. (2007), "Flexure-shear fibre beam-column elements for modeling frame structures under seismic loading. State of the art", J. Earthq. Eng., 11(1), 46-88. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460701280237
- Clough, R. and Johnston, S. (1966), "Effect of stiffness degradation on earthquake ductility requirements", T. Jpn. Earthq. Eng. Symp., Tokyo, 195-198.
- Filippou, F. and Issa, A. (1988), "Nonlinear analysis of R/C frames under cyclic load reversals", Report EERC-88/12, Univ. of California Berkeley.
- Giberson, M.F. (1967), "The response of nonlinear multi-story structures subjected to earthquake excitation", Ph.D. thesis, Cal. Tech., Pasadena, California.
- Kappos, A.J. (1991), "Analytical prediction of the collapse earthquake for R/C buildings: suggested methodology", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 20 (2), 167-176. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290200206
- Kyakula, M. and Wilkinson, S. (2004), "An improved spread plasticity model for inelastic analysis of R/C frames subjected to seismic loading", Proceedings of the 13th World Conf. Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
- Lee, C.L. and Filippou, F. (2009), "Efficient beam-column element with variable inelastic end zones", J. Struct. Eng.- ASCE, 135(11), 1310-1319. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000064
- Lehman, D. and Moehle, J.P. (1998), "Seismic performance of well confined concrete bridge columns", PEER Report 1998/01, Univ. of California, Berkeley.
- Mergos, P.E. and Kappos, A.J. (2008), "A distributed shear and flexural flexibility model with shear-flexure interaction for R/C members subjected to seismic loading", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 37(12), 1349-1370. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.812
- Mergos, P.E. and Kappos, A.J. (2009), "Modelling gradual spread of inelastic flexural, shear and bond-slip deformations and their interaction in plastic hinge regions of R/C members", Proceedings of the 2nd COMPDYN Conference, Rhodes, Greece.
- Mergos, P.E. and Kappos, A.J. (2012) "A gradual spread inelasticity model for R/C beam-columns, accounting for flexure, shear and anchorage slip", Eng. Struct., 44, 94-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.05.035
- Meyer, C., Roufaiel, S.L. and Arzoumanidis, S.G. (1983), "Analysis of damaged concrete frames for cyclic loads", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 11(2), 207-222. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290110205
- Neuenhofer, A. and Filippou, F.C. (1997), "Evaluation of nonlinear frame finite-element models", J. Struct. Eng.- ASCE, 123(7), 958-966. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1997)123:7(958)
- Reinhorn, A.M., Roh, H., Sivaselvan, M., Kunnath, S.K., Valles, R.E., Madan, E., Li, C., Robo, L. and Park, Y.J. (2009), IDARC2D version 7.0: A program for the inelastic damage analysis of structures, Tech. Report MCEER-09-0006, State Univ. of New York at Buffalo.
- Roh, H., Reinhorn, A.M. and Lee, J.S. (2012), "Power spread plasticity model for inelastic analysis of reinforced concrete structures", Eng. Struct., 39, 148-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.01.019
- Sivaselvan, M.V. and Reinhorn, A.M. (2000), "Hysteretic models for deteriorating inelastic structures", J. Eng. Mech.- ASCE, 126(6), 633-640. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2000)126:6(633)
- Soleimani, D., Popov, E.P. and Bertero, V.V. (1979), "Nonlinear beam model for R/C frame analysis", Proceedings of the 7th Conf. on Electronic Computation, Struct. Div. ASCE, Washington.
- Spacone, E., Filippou, F.C. and Taucer, F.F. (1996), "Fiber beam-column model for nonlinear analysis of R/C structures: Formulation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 25, 711-725. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199607)25:7<711::AID-EQE576>3.0.CO;2-9
- Modelling of R/C members accounting for shear failure localisation: Finite element model and verification vol.47, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.3033