- Volume 5 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Vibration control parameters investigation of the Mega-Sub Controlled Structure System (MSCSS)
- Limazie, Toi (School of Civil Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Zhang, Xun'an (School of Mechanic, Civil and Architectural Engineering, Northwestern Polytechnical University) ;
- Wang, Xianjie (School of Mechanic, Civil and Architectural Engineering, Northwestern Polytechnical University)
- Received : 2011.09.04
- Accepted : 2013.05.24
- Published : 2013.08.07
Excessive vibrations induced by earthquake excitation and wind load are an obstacle in design and construction of tall and super tall buildings. An innovative vibration control structure system (Mega-Sub Controlled Structure System-MSCSS) was recently proposed to further improve humans comfort and their safeties during natural disasters. Preliminary investigations were performed using a two dimensional equivalent simplified model, composed by 3 mega-stories. In this paper, a more reasonable and realistic scaled model is design to investigate the dynamical characteristics and controlling performances of this structure when subjected to strong earthquake motion. The control parameters of the structure system, such as the modulated sub-structures disposition; the damping coefficient ratio (RC); the stiffness ratio (RD); the mass ratio of the mega-structure and sub-structure (RM) are investigated and their optimal values (matched values) are obtained. The MSCSS is also compared with the so-called Mega-Sub Structure (MSS) regarding their displacement and acceleration responses when subjected to the same load conditions. Through the nonlinear time history analysis, the effectiveness and the feasibility of the proposed mega-sub controlled structure system (MSCSS) is demonstrated in reducing the displacement and acceleration responses and also improving human comfort under earthquake loads.
- Chai, W. and Feng, M.Q. (1997), "Vibration control of super tall buildings subjected to wind loads", Int. J. Nonlinear Mech., 32(4), 657-668. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7462(96)00094-7
- Cimellaro, G.P. (2007), "Simultaneous stiffness-damping optimization of structures with respect to acceleration, displacement and base shear", Eng. Struct., 29(11), 2853-2870. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.01.001
- Feng, M.Q. and Mita, A. (1995), "Vibration control of tall buildings using mega-sub configuration", J. Eng. Mech. - ASCE, 121(10), 1082-1087. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1995)121:10(1082)
- Gao, X.Y. and He, R.Q. (2003), "Research on equivalent model of mega-structure", J. Univ. of Sci. Tech. of Suzhou, 16(2), 66-72.
- Kiu, W., Tong, M., Wu, Y. and Lee, G. (2004), "Optimized damping device configuration design of a steel frame structure based on building performance indices", Earthq. Spectra, 20(1), 67-89. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1648334
- Li, Tao, Zhang, X.A. and Toi, Limazie (2011), "Viscous dampers installation arrangement and hysteresis curve characteristics research on the mega-sub controlled structure system", Appl. Mech. Mater., 71-78, 1687-1690. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.71-78.1687
- Li, Tao, Zhang, X.A. and Wang, Q.Q. (2011), "Control characteristics of mega-sub controlled structure system with friction damper under rare earthquake", Proceedings of the International Multiconference of Engineering and Computers Scientists 2011, Vol II, IMECS 2011, March 16 - 18, 2011, Hong Kong.
- Lian, Y.D., Zhang, X.A. and Cherry, S. (2007), "Damping characteristics of friction damped braced frame and its effectiveness in the mega-sub controlled structure system", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 6(2), 171-181. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-007-0732-4
- Liu, X.A., Zhang, X.A. and Wang, X.B. (2009), "Research on dynamic responses of MSCSS under horizontal seismic action", J. Yanshan Univ., 33(3), 254-257.
- Qin, Xiangjun and Zhang, X.A. (2009), "Vibration controlling characteristics of a new improved mega-sub controlled structure subjected to random wind load", Proceedings of the International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists 2009, Vol II IMECS 2009, March 18 - 20, 2009, Hong Kong.
- Qin, X.J., Zhang, X.A. and Sheldon, C. (2008), "Study on semi-active control of mega-sub controlled structure by MR damper subjected to random wind loads", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 7(3), 285-294 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-008-0838-3
- Takabatake, H. and Satoh, T. (2006), "A simplified analysis and vibration control to super-high-rise buildings", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 15(4), 363-390. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.276
- Takewaki, I. (2009), Building control with passive dampers: optimal performance-based design for earthquakes, John Wiley & Sons (Asia), Singapore.
- Tsuji, M. and Nakamura, T. (1996), "Optimum viscous dampers for stiffness design of shear buildings", J. Struct. Des. Tall Build., 5(3), 217-234. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1794(199609)5:3<217::AID-TAL70>3.0.CO;2-R
- Zhang, X.A., Qin, X.J., Cherry, S. and Lian, Y.D. (2009), "A new proposed passive mega-sub controlled structure and response control", J. Earthq. Eng., 13(2), 252-274. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460802347422
- Zhang, X.A., Wang, Dong and Jiang, Jiesheng (2005), "The controlling mechanism and the controlling effectiveness of passive mega-sub-controlled frame subjected to random wind loads", J. Sound Vib., 283(3-5), 543-560. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2004.04.038
- Wind-induced vibration control of super-tall buildings using a new combined structural system vol.172, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2017.10.029
- Floor acceleration control of super-tall buildings with vibration reduction substructures vol.26, pp.16, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1343
- Experimental investigation of mega-sub isolation structure vol.26, pp.16, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1360
- Optimization of response of a dynamic vibration absorber forming part of the main system by the fixed-point theory 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-017-1237-y
- Seismic Performance Evaluations of Mega-Sub Isolation System vol.2016, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/7031712
- Mechanism Analysis and Parameter Optimization of Mega-Sub-Isolation System vol.2016, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/2605839