- Volume 5 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Experimental investigation of existing R/C frames strengthened by high dissipation steel link elements
- Karalis, Apostolos A. (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Faculty of Engineering, School of Civil Engineering Laboratory of R/C and Masonry Structures) ;
- Stylianidis, Kosmas C. (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Faculty of Engineering, School of Civil Engineering Laboratory of R/C and Masonry Structures)
- Received : 2012.01.04
- Accepted : 2013.04.25
- Published : 2013.08.07
This paper presents the results of an experimental program concerning the efficiency of a specific strengthening technique which utilizes a small steel link element connected to the R/C frame through bracing elements. Brittle types of failure, especially at the connections between steel and concrete elements, can be avoided by appropriate design of the local details. Five single storey one bay R/C frames scaled 1:3 were constructed according to older codes with substandard details. The first one was a typical bare reference frame. The other four were identical to the first one, strengthened by steel bracing elements. The behavior of the strengthened frames is described with respect to the reference bare frame. The concrete frames were constructed according to older code provisions by the use of smooth steel bars, low strength concrete, sparsely spaced stirrups and substandard details. The strengthening scheme aimed to the increase of both strength and deformation capacity of the original R/C frame. The inelastic deformations are purposely concentrated to a short steel link element connecting the steel bracing to the R/C frame. The results show that the steel link element can increase considerably the strength and the energy dissipation capacity of the frame.
- Antonucci, R., Balducci, F., Bartera, F., Castellano, G. and Chaudat, T. (2006), "Shaking table tests on RC frame braced with fluid viscous dampers", 1st European Conference of Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Geneva, # 650.
- Baran, M., Susoy, M. and Tankut, T. (2011), "Strengthening of deficient RC frames with high strength concrete panels: an experimental study", Struct. Eng.Mech., 37(2), 177-196. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2011.37.2.177
- D'Aniello, M. (2006), "Seismic upgrading of RC structure by steel eccentric bracing (an experimental and numerical study)", Pollack Periodica, An international journal for Engineering and information Sciences, 1(2), 17-32.
- Ghaffarzadeh, H. and Maheri, M.R. (2006), "Mechanical Compression release device in steel bracing system for retrofitting RC frames", Earthq. Eng. Eng.Vib., 5(1), 151-158. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-006-0626-x
- Ishii, T., Mukai, T., Kitamura, H., Shimizu, T., Fujisawa, K. and Ishida, Y. (2004), "Seismic retrofit for existing r/c building using energy dissipative braces", 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Canada, # 1209.
- Kunisue, A., Koshika, N., Kurokawa, Y., Suzuki, N., Agami, J. and Sakamoto, M. (2000), "Retrofitting method of existing reinforced concrete buildings using elasto-plastic steel dampers", 12th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, New Zealand, #648.
- Maheri, M.R. and Sahebi, A. (1997), "Use of steel bracing in reinforced concrete frames", Eng. Struct., 19(12), 1018-1024. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00041-2
- Maheri, M.R. and Akbari, R. (2003a), "Seismic behaviour factor, R, for steel X-braced and knee-braced RC buildings", Eng. Struct., 25, 1505-1513. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(03)00117-2
- Maheri, M.R. and Hadjipour, A. (2003b), "Experimental investigation and design of steel brace connection to RC frame", Eng. Struct., 25, 1707-1714. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(03)00162-7
- Maheri, M.R., Kousari, R. and Razazan, M. (2003c), "Pushover tests on steel X-braced and knee-braced RC frames", Eng. Struct., 25, 1697-1705. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(03)00150-0
- Mazzolani, F., Della Corte, G. and Faggiano, B. (2004), "Seismic upgrading of RC buildings by means of advanced techniques: The ILVA-IDEM project", 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, August 1-6, #2703.
- Mazzolani, F. (2006), "Seismic upgrading of RC buildings by advanced techniques", The ILVA-IDEM Research Project, Polimetrica, International Scientific Publisher.
- Mazzolani, F. (2009a), "Steel bracing systems for the seismic upgrading of RC structures", Steel Construct., 2(4), 235-242. https://doi.org/10.1002/stco.200910032
- Mazzolani, F., Dell a Corte, G. and D' Aniello, M. (2009b), "Experimental analysis of steel dissipative bracing systems for seismic upgrading", J. Civil Eng.Manag., 15(1), 7-19. https://doi.org/10.3846/1392-3730.2009.15.7-19
- Perera R., Gomez, S. and Alarcon, E. (2004), "Experimental and analytical study of masonry infill reinforced concrete frames retrofitted with steel braces", J. Struct. Eng., 130(12), 2032-2039. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:12(2032)
- Pinto, A. and Taucer, F. (2006), "Assessment and retrofit of full scale models of existing RC frames", Advances in Earthquake Engineering for Urban Risk Reduction, pp 353-367.
- Simulation of experiments on RC frames strengthened with dissipative steel links vol.1, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/acc2013.1.3.253
- Seismic Design of MRF-EBF Dual Systems with Vertical Links: EC8 vs Plastic Design vol.19, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2014.978917
- Nonlinear dynamic response of reinforced concrete building retrofitted with buckling restrained braces vol.8, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.8.6.1349
- Investigating the nonlinear behavior of Eccentrically Braced Frame with vertical shear links (V-EBF) vol.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jobe.2017.02.002
- Experimentally and analytically study on eccentrically braced frame with vertical shear links pp.15417794, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1587