- Volume 37 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Scientific Analysis of Metal in Chinese and Korean Traditional Gold Thread
중국과 한국 전통금사 금속의 과학적 분석 연구
- Jeong, Seon Hye (Institute of Preventive Conservation for Cultural Property, Korea National University of Cultural Heritage) ;
- Yu, Ji A (Institute of Preventive Conservation for Cultural Property, Korea National University of Cultural Heritage) ;
- Chung, Yong Jae (Dept. of Heritage Conservation & Restoration, Graduate School of Convergence Cultural Heritage, Korea National University of Cultural Heritage) ;
- Sim, Yeon Ok (Dept. of Traditional Arts & Crafts, Korea National University of Cultural Heritage)
- 정선혜 (한국전통문화대학교 문화재예방보존연구소) ;
- 유지아 (한국전통문화대학교 문화재예방보존연구소) ;
- 정용재 (한국전통문화대학교 문화유산융합대학원 수리복원학과) ;
- 심연옥 (한국전통문화대학교 전통미술공예학과)
- Received : 2013.05.28
- Accepted : 2013.08.19
- Published : 2013.08.31
The metal component of Chinese and Korean traditional gold thread was analyzed nondestructively using P-XRF and classified morphologically. In the nondestructive analysis of 22 Chinese and Korean artifacts, there were 10 gold threads made up of Au in China and 7 in Korea; in addition, there were 4 silver threads made up of Ag in Korea and 1 copper thread made up of Cu in China. In the morphological classification, 7 gilt paper strips were confirmed in China and Korea and 4 wrapped threads were identified in China and Korea. Zn, Sn and Fe (minor components of the threads) were detected. These components were assumed to be transferred from the metal found in burial goods.
- Choe, Y. J. (2005). Aesthetic study on the gold through historical costume: Centered around Korea and China. Unpublished master's thesis, Hongik University, Seoul.
- Hong, M. K., Bae, S. W., & Lee, M. S. (2009). A study of consolidation of excavated fabric with golden thread. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 33(8), 1315-1324. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2009.33.8.1315
- Jang, H. J., & Ko, S. H. (2006). The types and characteristics of golden decoration technique used in the costumes of Chosun dynasty era. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 56(4), 82-95.
- Jang, H. J., & Ko, S. H. (2007). Types and characteristics of golden decoration technique used in the Chinese fabrics -Focused on the fabrics from Dang to Cheong dynasty era-. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 57(9), 1-15.
- Jung, E. D. (2009). Spoons and scissors found from Tombs of Song, Liao, Jin and Yuan Periods-Insightful research on Bronze spoon, iron scissors, coins and mirror-. Journal of Cultural Relics, 15, 53-136.
- No, J. S. (2006). 전통 직물에 사용되는 금사 제작 방법 [Method of making gold thread used for traditional fabric]. Fiber Technology and Industry, 10(4), 382-387.
- Noh, S. J., & Oh, J., S. (2008). Analysis and conservation of metal thread made of proteinaceous substrate-Golden decorative rank badge of an official uniform excavated from Baekrueong Im's Tomb in the 16th century of Korea-. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 58(9), 129-141.
- Oh, J. S., & Noh, S. J. (2007). Conservation of golden decorative (Jikgeumdan) Jeogori and Chima of costumes excavated from Hangju Gi' Tomb of Angang, Kyungsangbukdo province-Re-adhesion of gold leaves in gilt paper strips-. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 57(9), 67-75.
- Comparative Study on Characteristic of Materials to Restore Traditional Gold Threads vol.30, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12654/JCS.2014.30.3.06