- Volume 8 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Maximization of Transmission System Loadability with Optimal FACTS Installation Strategy
- Chang, Ya-Chin (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Cheng Shiu University) ;
- Chang, Rung-Fang (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Kao Yuan University)
- Received : 2013.02.13
- Accepted : 2013.04.29
- Published : 2013.09.01
Instead of building new substations or transmission lines, proper installation of flexible AC transmission systems (FACTS) devices can make the transmission networks accommodate more power transfers with less expansion cost. In this paper, the problem to maximize power system loadability by optimally installing two types of FACTS devices, namely static var compensator (SVC) and thyristor controlled series compensator (TCSC), is formulated as a mixed discrete-continuous nonlinear optimization problem (MDCP). To reduce the complexity of the problem, the locations suitable for SVC and TCSC installations are first investigated with tangent vector technique and real power flow performance index (PI) sensitivity factor and, with the specified locations for SVC and TCSC installations, a set of schemes is formed. For each scheme with the specific locations for SVC and TCSC installations, the MDCP is reduced to a continuous nonlinear optimization problem and the computing efficiency can be largely improved. Finally, to cope with the technical and economic concerns simultaneously, the scheme with the biggest utilization index value is recommended. The IEEE-14 bus system and a practical power system are used to validate the proposed method.
Supported by : National Science Council
- T. Orfanogianni, R. Bacher, "Steady-State optimization in power systems with series FACTS devices," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 18, No. 1, 2003, pp. 19-26. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2002.807110
- A. A. Athamneh, W. J. Lee, "Benefits of FACTS devices for power exchange among Jordanian Interconnection with other Countries," IEEE/PES General Meeting, June 2006.
- A. R. Messina, M. A. Pe'rez, E. Herna'ndez, "Coordinated application of FACTS devices to enhance steady-state voltage stability," Int. J Electr. Power Energy Syst., Vol. 19, No. 2, 2003, pp. 259-267.
- W. Shao, V. Vijay, "LP-based OPF for corrective FACTS control to relieve overloads and voltage violations," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 21, No. 4, 2006, pp. 1832-1839. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2006.881127
- A. Yousefi, et al., "Congestion management using demand response and FACTS devices," Int. J Electr. Power Energy Syst., Vol. 37, No.1, 2012, pp. 78-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2011.12.008
- Y. C. Chang, "Fitness sharing particle swarm optimization approach to FACTS installation for transmission system loadability enhancement," J Electr. Eng. Technol., Vol. 8, No. 1, 2013, pp. 31-39. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.1.031
- E. Ghahremani, I. Kamwa, "Optimal placement of multiple-type FACTS devices to maximize power system loadability using a generic graphical user interface," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Early version, 2012.
- K. Y. Lee, M. Farsangi, H. Nezamabadi-pour, "Hybrid of analytical and heuristic techniques for FACTS devices in transmission systems," IEEE/PES General Meeting, June 2007, pp. 1-8.
- S. N. Singh, A. K. David, "Optimal location of FACTS devices for congestion management," Electric Power Systems Research, 2001, pp. 71-79.
- S. H. Song, J. U. Limb, Seung-Il Moon, "Installation and operation of FACTS devices for enhancing steady-state security," Electric Power Systems Research, 2004, pp. 7-15.
- T. S. Chung, Y. Z. Li, "A hybrid GA approach for OPF with consideration of FACTS devices," IEEE Power Engineering Review, Feb. 2001, pp. 47-50.
- D. Mondal, A. Chakrabarti, A. Sengupta, "Optimal placement and parameter setting of SVC and TCSC using PSO to mitigate small signal stability problem," Int. J Electr. Power Energy Syst., Vol. 42, No. 1, 2012, pp. 334-340. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2012.04.017
- Y. Matsuo, A. Yokoyama, "Optimization of installation of FACTS devices in power system planning by both tabu search and nonlinear programming methods," Proc. 1999 Intelligent System Application to Power System Conference, pp. 250-254.
- S. N. Singh, A. K. David, "A new approach for placement of FACTS devices in open power markets," IEEE Power Engineering Review, Vol. 21, No. 9, 2001, pp. 58-60.
- P. Bhasaputra, W. Ongsakul, "Optimal power flow with multi-type of FACTS devices by hybrid TS/SA approach," IEEE Proc. International Conference on Industrial Technology, Vol. 1, 2002, pp. 285-290.
- H. A. Abdelsalam, et. al., "Optimal location of the unified power flow controller in electrical power system," IEEE Proc. Large Engineering Systems Conference on Power Engineering, July 2004, pp. 41-46.
- S. A. Taher, M. K. Amooshahi, "New approach for optimal UPFC placement using hybrid immune algorithm in electric power systems," Int. J Electr. Power Energy Syst., Vol. 43, No. 1, 2012, pp. 899-909. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2012.05.064
- S. K. Sundar, H. M. Ravikumar, "Selection of TCSC location for secured optimal power flow under normal and network contingencies," Int. J Electr. Power Energy Syst., Vol. 34, No. 1, 2012, pp. 29-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2011.09.002
- A. A. Alabduljabbara, J. V. Milanovi'c, "Assessment of techno-economic contribution of FACTS devices to power system operation," Electric Power Systems Research, 2010, 1247-1255.
- D. Povh, "Modeling of FACTS in power system studies," IEEE/PES Winter Meeting, Vol. 2, Jan. 2000, pp. 1435-1439.
- H. R. Baghaee, M. Annati, B. Vahidi, "Improvement of voltage stability and reduce power system losses by optimal GA-based allocation of multi-type FACTS devices," Int. Conf. Optimization of Electrical and Electronic Equipment, May 2008, pp. 209-214.
- A. R. Phadke, M. Fozdar, K. R. Niazi, "A new multiobjective fuzzy-GA formulation for optimal placement and sizing of shunt FACTS controller," Int. J Electr. Power Energy Syst., Vol. 40, No. 1, 2012, pp. 46-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2012.02.004
- Z. Lu, M. S. Li, L. Jiang, "Optimal allocation of FACTS devices with multiple objectives achieved by bacterial swarming algorithm," IEEE/PES General Meeting, Conversion and Delivery of Electrical Energy in the 21st Century, July 2008, pp. 1-7.
- A. Lai'fa, M. Boudour, "FACTS allocation for power systems voltage stability enhancement using MOPSO," Int. Multi-Conference on Systems, Signals and Devices, IEEE SSD 2008, July 2008, pp. 1-6.
- D. Radu, Y. Besanger, "A multi-objective genetic algorithm approach to optimal allocation of multitype FACTS devices for power systems security," IEEE/PES General Meeting, June 2006.
- M. Saravanan, et. al., "Application of particle swarm optimization technique for optimal location of FACTS devices considering cost of installation and system loadability," Electric Power Systems Research, 2007, pp. 276-283.
- V. Ajjarapu, C. Christy, "The continuation power flow: a tool for steady state voltages stability analysis," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 7, No. 1, 1992, pp. 416-423.
- F. V. D. Bergh, A. P. Engelbrecht, "A new locally convergent particle swarm optimizer," Proc. of IEEE Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (Hammamet. Tunisia), Vol. 3, 2003.
- A. J. Wood, B. F. Wollenberg, "Power Generation, Operation and Control," John Wiley, New York, 1996.
- A. A. A. Esmin, G. L. Torres, A. C. Z. Souza, "A hybrid particle swarm optimization applied to loss power minimization," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 20, No. 2, 2005, pp. 859-866. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2005.846049
- A. C. Z. de Souza, C. A. Canizares, V. H. Quintana, "New techniques to speed up voltage collapse computations using tangent vectors," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 12, No. 3, 1997, pp. 1380-1387. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.630485
- J. Kennedy, R. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," Proc. of 1995 IEEE Int. Conf. on Neural Networks (ICNN'95), Vol. IV, pp. 1942-1948.
- S. Gerbex, R. Cherkaoui, A. J. Germond, "Optimal location of multi-type FACTS devices in a power system by means of genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 16, No. 3, 2001, pp. 537-544. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.932292
- L. J. Cai, I. Erlich, G. Stamtsis, "Optimal choice and allocation of FACTS devices in deregulated electricity market using genetic algorithms," IEEE PES Power Systems Conference and Exposition, pp. 201-207.
- E. N. Azadani, et. al., "Optimal placement of multiple STATCOM," The 12th International Middle-East Power System Conference, March 2008, pp.523-528.
- A. S. Yome, N. Mithulananthan, K. Y. Lee, "Static voltage stability margin enhancement using STATCOM, TCSC and SSSC," 2005 IEEE/PES Transmission and Distribution Conference & Exhibition, pp. 1-6.
- H. D. Chiang, et. al., "CPFLOW: a practical tool for tracing power system steady-state stationary behavior due to load and generation variations," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 10, No. 2, 1995, pp. 623-628. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.387897
- A Hybrid Approach for Power System Security Enhancement via Optimal Installation of Flexible AC Transmission System (FACTS) Devices vol.10, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/en10091305