- Volume 26 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effect of Carcass Traits on Carcass Prices of Holstein Steers in Korea
- Alam, M. (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Cho, K.H. (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, S.S. (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Choy, Y.H. (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, H.S. (Korea Institute for Animal Products Quality Evaluation) ;
- Cho, C.I. (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Choi, T.J. (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA)
- Received : 2013.02.20
- Accepted : 2013.05.26
- Published : 2013.10.01
The present study investigated the contribution of carcass traits on carcass prices of Holstein steers in Korea. Phenotypic data consisted of 76,814 slaughtered Holsteins (1 to 6 yrs) from all over Korea. The means for live body weight at slaughter (BWT), chilled carcass weight (CWT), dressing percentage (DP), quantity grade index (QGI), eye muscle area (EMA), backfat thickness (BF) and marbling score (MS), carcass unit price (CUP), and carcass sell prices (CSP) were 729.0 kg, 414.2 kg, 56.79%, 64.42,
Grant : Development of economically important traits and technologies for sustainable dairy production
Supported by : RDA
- Abney, C. S. 2004. Feedlot performance, carcass and palatability traits, as well as subsequent economic relevance in calf-fed and yearling Holstein and Angus steers. M.S. Thesis, Michigan State University, Lansing, MI, USA.
- Abraham, H. C., Z. L. Murphey, H. R. Cross, G. C. Smith, and W. J. Frank, Jr. 1980. Factors affecting beef carcass cutability: An evaluation of the USDA yield grades for beef. J. Anim. Sci. 50:841-851.
- Baik, D. H., M. A. Hoque, G. H. Park, H. K. Park, K. S. Shim, and Y. H. Chung. 2003. Heritabilities and genetic correlation, and sire and environment effects on meat production potential of Hanwoo cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1-5. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.1
- Bishop, G. L., T. E. Lawrence, and T. H. Montgomery. 2002. Predicting beef carcass value. Page 124 in Proc. Plains Nutr. Council Conf., TAMU Res. Ext. Center, Amarillo, TX. Publication No. AREC 02-20.
- Cho, W. M., S. H. Yang, S. M. Lee, S. S. Jang, H. C. Kim, S. K. Hong, W. Y. Park, and H. S. Kim. 2012. Effects of different additives on the growth performance and carcass characteristics of Holstein steers. J. Life Sci. 22:61-166. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.2.161
- Dikeman, M. E., L. W. Cundiff, K. E. Gregory, K. E. Kemp, and R.M. Koch. 1998. Relative contributions of subcutaneous and intermuscular fat to yield and predictability of retail product, fat trim, and bone in beef carcasses. J. Anim. Sci. 76:1604-1612.
- Galli, I., G. Teira, F. Perlo, P. Bonato, O. Tisocco, A. Monje, and S. Vittone. 2008. Animal performance and meat quality in cull cows with early weaned calves in Argentina. Meat Sci. 79:521-528. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.10.007
- Garrett, W. N. 1971. Energetic efficiency of beef and dairy steers. J. Anim. Sci. 32:451-456.
- Griffin, D. B. 1992. Excessive seam fat in primals and subprimals excess fat in beef trimmings. In: The final report of the national beef quality audit (Ed. G. C. Smith) 1991. Colorado State University, Fort Collins and Texas A & M University, College Station.
- Hwang, J. M., S. Kim, Y. H. Choy, H. B. Yoon, and C. J. Park. 2008. Genetic parameter estimation of carcass traits of Hanwoo steer. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.). 50:613-620. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.5.613
- Ibi, T., A. K. Kahi, and H. Hirooka. 2006. Effect of carcass price fluctuations on genetic and economic evaluation of carcass traits in Japanese Black cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 84:3204-3211. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-610
- Jeremiah, L. E. 1996. The influence of subcutaneous fat thickness and marbling on beef: Palatability and consumer acceptability. Food Res. Int. 29:513-520. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(96)00049-X
- Kahi, A. K., T. Oguni, Y. Sumio, and H. Hirooka. 2007. Genetic relationships between growth and carcass traits and profitability in Japanese Brown cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 85:348-355. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-657
- Kauffman, R. G., M. E. Van Ess, R. A. Long, and D. M. Schaefer. 1975. Marbling: Its use in predicting beef carcass composition. J. Anim. Sci. 40:235-241.
- Kim, D. G., K. K. Jung, S. K. sung, C. B. Choi, S. G. Kim, D. Y. Kim, and B. J. Choi. 1996. Effects of castration on the carcass characteristics of Hanwoo and Holstein. Korean J. Anim. Sci. (Kor.). 38:239-248. (In Korean)
- Kim, J. B., D. J. Kim, J. K. Lee, and C.Y. Lee. 2010a. Genetic relationship between carcass traits and carcass price of Korean cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 23:848-854. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.90555
- Kim, D. J., C. W. Lee, C. Y. Lee, and J. B. Kim. 2010b. Influence of carcass traits on carcass price in Mature Hanwoo cow. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor). 52:157-164. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.2.157
- Knapp, R. H., C. A. Terry, J. W. Savell, H. R. Cross, W. L. Mies, and J. W. Edwards. 1989. Characterization of cattle types to meet specific beef targets. J. Anim. Sci. 67:2294-2308.
- Lawrence, J. D., Z. Wang, and D. Loy. 1999. Elements of cattle feeding profitability in Midwest feedlots. J. Agric. Appl. Econ. 31:349-357.
- Lee, J. W., S. B. Choi, J. S. Kim, J. F. Keown, and L. D. Van Vleck. 2000. Parameter estimates for genetic effects on carcass traits of Korean Native Cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 78:1181-1190.
- Lorenzen, C. L., D. S. Hale, D. B. Griffin, J. W. Savell, K. E. Belk, T. L. Frederick, M. F. Miller, T. H. Montgomery, and G. C. Smith. 1993. National beef quality audit: Survey of producerrelated defects and carcass quality and quantity attributes. J. Anim. Sci. 71:1495-1502.
- Lunt, D. K., R. R. Riley, and S. B. Smith. 1993. Growth and Carcass Characteristics of Angus and American Wagyu steers. Meat Sci. 34:327-334. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(93)90081-R
- Lynch, M. and B. Walsh. 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sinauer Associates, Inc. Sunderland, MA.
- Martin, R. J. and L. L. Wilson. 1974. Comparison of tissue enzyme levels and carcass characteristics in Hereford and Holstein steers. J. Anim. Sci. 39:865-870.
- MAFRA (Ministry for Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs). 2011. The Grading standards for livestock products. Official announcement 2011-171. (In Korean)
- MFAFF (Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries). 2008. The goals for animal improvement. Official announcement 2008-16. (In Korean)
- Moon, S. S., I. H. Hwang, S. K. Jin, J. G. Lee, S. T. Joo, and G. B. Park. 2003. Carcass traits determining quality and yield grades of Hanwoo steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1049-1054. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.1049
- Moon, W. G., B. W. Kim, S. H. Roh, H. S. Kim, D. J. Jung, D. W. Sun, K. N. Kim, Y. T. Yoon, J. H. Jung, J. T. Jeon, and J. G. Lee. 2007. Estimation of environmental effect and genetic parameters for the carcass traits in Hanwoo (Korean cattle). J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.). 49:689-698. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.6.689
- NLRI (National Livestock Research Institute). 2002. Annual Research Report. Rural Development Administration, South Korea, pp. 85-87.
- Park, G. B., S. S. Moon, Y. D. Ko, J. K. H, H. H. Chang, and S. T. Joo. 2002. Influence of slaughter weight and sex on yield and quality grades of Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) carcasses. J. Anim. Sci. 80:129-136.
- Pritchard, R. 1999. Changes which affect your profit. Available: http:// www.beeflinks.com/ProfitChanges.pdf. Accessed: Feb. 13, 2013.
- Pyatt, N. A., L. L. Berger, D. B. Faulkner, P. M. Walker, and S. L. Rodriguez-Zas. 2005. Factors affecting carcass value and profitability in early-weaned Simmental steers: I. Five-year average pricing. J. Anim. Sci. 83:2918-2925.
- Rios-Utrera, A., L. V. Cundiff, K. E. Gregory, R. M. Koch, M. E. Dikeman, M. Koohmaraie, and L. D. Van Vleck. 2005. Genetic analysis of carcass traits of steers adjusted to age, weight, or fat thickness slaughter endpoints. J. Anim. Sci. 83:764-776.
- Schroeder, T. C., M. L. Albright, M. R. Langemeier, and J. R. Mintert. 1993. Factors affecting cattle feeding profitability. J. Am. Soc. Farm Mgrs. Rural Appraisers. 57:48-54.
- Schultz, R. W. and J. M. Marsh. 1985. Steer and heifer price differences in the live cattle and carcass markets. Western J. Agric. Econ. 10:77-92.
- Smith, T., J. D. Domingue, J. C. Paschal, D. E. Franke, T. D. Bidner, and G. Whipple. 2007. Genetic parameters for growth and carcass traits of Brahman steers. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1377-1384. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-653
- Wilton, J. W. and M. E. Goddard. 1996. Selection for carcass and feedlot traits considering alternative slaughter end points and optimized management. J. Anim. Sci. 74:37-45.
- Yun. Y. T., D. G. Kim, and S. K. Sung. 1994. A study on the major carcass traits of the Hanwoo (Korean Native cattle) and Holstein by the various carcass weight classes. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 36(2):175-183. (In Korean)
- Zaujec, K., J. Mojto, and M. Gondekova. 2009. Comparison of carcass quality of Slovak Pied and Holstein bulls by SEUROP system. Slovak J. Anim. Sci. 42:38-43.
- Genetic parameters for yearling weight, carcass traits, and primal-cut yields of Hanwoo cattle1 vol.93, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-7953