- Volume 26 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Efficacy of Tomato Powder as Antioxidant in Cooked Pork Patties
- Kim, I.S. (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Jin, S.K. (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Yang, M.R. (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Chu, G.M. (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Park, J.H. (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Rashid, R.H.I. (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, J.Y. (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kang, S.N. (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2013.01.31
- Accepted : 2013.05.26
- Published : 2013.09.01
This study was carried out to determine the effects of tomato powder (TP) on cooked pork patties during storage at
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Bondet, V., W. Brand-Williams, and C. Berset. 1997. Kinetics and mechanisms of antioxidant activity using the DPPH free radical method. LWT-Food Sci. Technol. 30:609-615. https://doi.org/10.1006/fstl.1997.0240
- Brand-Williams, W., M. E. Cuvelier, and C. Berset. 1995. Use of a free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity. LWT-Food Sci. Technol. 28:25-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0023-6438(95)80008-5
- Barba, A. I. O., M. C. Hurtado, M. C. S. Mata., V. F. Ruiz, and M. L. S. Tejada. 2006. Application of a UV-vis detection-HPLC method for a rapid determination of lycopene and b-carotene in vegetables. Food Chem. 95:328-336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.02.028
- Calvo, M. M., M. L. Garciia, and D. M. Selgas. 2008. Dry fermented sausages enriched with lycopene from tomato peel. Meat Sci. 80:167-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.11.016
- Candogan, K. 2002. The effect of tomato paste on some quality characteristics of beef patties during refrigerated storage. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 215:305-309 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-002-0567-1
- CIE (Commission International de l'Eclairage). 1976. Official recommendations on uniform color spaces. Color difference equations and metric color terms, Suppl. No. 2. CIE Publication No. 15 Colorimetry. Paris.
- Deda, M. S., J. G. Bloukas, and G. A. Fista. 2007. Effect of tomato paste and nitrite level on processing and quality characteristics of frankfurters. Meat Sci. 76:501-508. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.01.004
- Field, R. A. and Y. D. Chang. 1969. Free amino acids in bovine muscle and their relationship to tenderness. J. Food Sci. 34:329-331. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1969.tb10356.x
- Garcia-Closas, R., C. Gonzales, A. Aguda, and E. Riboli. 1999. Intake of specific carotenoids and flavonoids and the risk of gastric cancer in Spain. Cancer Causes Control 10:71-75. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008867108960
- Gartner, C., W. Stah, and H. Sies. 1997. Lycopene is more bioavailable from tomato paste than from fresh tomatoes. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 66:116-122.
- Grieb, S. M. D., R. P. Theis, D. Burr, D. Benardot, T. Siddiqui, and N. R. Asal. 2009. Food groups and renal cell carcinoma: results from a case-control study. J. Am. Diet. Assoc. 109:656-667. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2008.12.020
- Gyamfi, M. A., M. Yonamine, and Y. Aniya. 1999. Free-radical scavenging action of medicinal herbs from Ghana: Thonningia sanguine on experimentally-induced liver injuries. Gen. Pharmacol. 32:661-667. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-3623(98)00238-9
- Han, K. H., I. S. Choi, and C. H. Lee. 2006. The physicochemical and storage characteristics of sausage added mugwort powder. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 26:356-361.
- Havsteen, B. 1983. Flavonoids, a class of natural-products of high pharmacological potency. Biochem. Pharmacol. 32:1141-1148. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(83)90262-9
- Hemi, K. E., A. R. Taigliaferro, and D. J. Bobilya. 2002. Flavonoids antioxidant chemistry, metabolism and structure activity relationship. J. Nutr. Biochem. 13:572-584. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2863(02)00208-5
Henry, L. K., G. L. Catignani, and S. J. Schwartz. 1998. Oxidative degradation kinetics of lycopene, lutein, and 9-cis and all-trans
$\beta$-carotene. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 75:823-829. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-998-0232-3
- Hertog, M. G. L., E. J. M. Feskens, P. C. H. Hollman, M. B. Katan, and D. Kromhout. 1993. Dietary antioxidant flavonoids and risk of coronary heart disease: the Zutphen Eldery study. Lancet 342:1007-1011. https://doi.org/10.1016/0140-6736(93)92876-U
- Hoe, S. K., K. H. Park, M. R. Yang, K. J. Jeong, D. H. Kim, S. K. Choi, and I. S. Kim. 2006. Quality characteristics of low-fat emulsified sausage containing tomatoes during cold storage. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 26:297-305.
- Hollman, P. C. H., M. G. Hertog, and M. B. Katan. 1996. Analysis and health effects of flavonoids. Food Chem. 57:43-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(96)00065-9
- Hornero-Mendez, D. and M. I. Minguez-Mosquera. 2007 Bioaccessibility of carotenes from carrots: effect of cooking and addition of oil. Innov. Food Sci. Emerg. Technol. 8:407-412. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2007.03.014
- Hudson, B. J. F. and J. I. Lewis. 1983. Polyhydroxy flavonoid anti-oxidant for edible oils-structural criteria for activity. Food Chem. 10:47-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(83)80001-6
- Jay, J. M. 1992. Modern food microbiology. In: Chapman and Hall 4th ed., New York. pp. 820-821.
- Jo, C., D. H. Kim, H. Y. Kim, W. D. Lee, H. K. Lee, and M. W. Byun. 2004. Studies on the development of low-salted, fermented, and seasoned Changran Jeotkal using the intestines of Therage chalcogramma. Radiat. Phys. Chem. 71:123-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2004.04.016
- Khachik, F., L. Carvalho, P. S. Bernstein, G. J. Muir, D. Y. Zhao, and N. B. Katz. 2002. Chemistry, distribution, and metabolism of tomato carotenoids and their impact on human health. Exp. Biol. Med. 227:845-851.
- Kim, I. S., S. K. Jin, S. N. Kang, I. C. Hur, and S. Y. Choi. 2009. Effect of olive-oil prepared tomato powder (OPTP) and refining lycopene on the physicochemical and sensory characteristics of seasoned raw pork during storage. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 29(3):334-339. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2009.29.3.334
- Knekt, P., R. Jarvinen, R. Seppanen, M. Heliovaara, L. Teppo, E. Pukkala, and A. Aromaa. 1997. Dietary flavonoids and the risk of lung cancer and other malignant neoplasms. Am. J. Epidemiol. 146:223-230. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a009257
- Meda, A., C. E. Lamien, M. Romito, J. Millogo, and O. G. Nacoulma. 2005. Determination of the total phenolic, flavonoid and proline contents in Burkina Fasan honey, as well as their radical scavenging activity. Food Chem. 91:571-577. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.10.006
- Osterlie, M. and J. Lerfall. 2005. Lycopene from tomato products added minced meat. Effect on storage quality and colour. Food Res. Int. 38:925-929. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2004.12.003
- Padayatty, S., A. Katz, Y. Wang, P. Eck, O. Kwon, and J. Lee. 2003. Vitamin C as an antioxidant: Evaluation of its role in disease prevention. J. Am. College Nutr. 22:18-35. https://doi.org/10.1080/07315724.2003.10719272
- Pearson, D. 1968. Application of chemical methods for the assessments of beef quality. J. Sci. Food Agric. 19:366-369 https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740190703
- Sanchez-Escalante, A., G. Torrescano, D. Djenane, J. A. Beltran, and P. Roncales. 2003. Stabilization of colour and odour of beef patties using lycopene-rich tomato and peppers as a source of antioxidants. J. Sci. Food Agric. 83:187-194. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.1298
- Sanchez-Moreno, C., J. A. Larrauri, and F. A. Saura-Calixto. 1998. A procedure to measure the antiradical efficiency of polyphenols. J. Sci. Food Agric. 76:270-276. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199802)76:2<270::AID-JSFA945>3.0.CO;2-9
- SAS. 1999. SAS/STAT Software for PC. Release 6.11, SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- Sies, H. and W. Stahl. 1998. Lycopeneantioxidant and biological effects and its bioavailability in the human. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 218:121-124. https://doi.org/10.3181/00379727-218-44285a
- Singleton, V. L. and J. R. Rossi. 1965. Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents. Am. J. Enol. Vitic. 16:144-158.
- Stahl, W. and H. Sies. 1992. Uptake of lycopene and its geometrical isomers is greater from heat-processed than from unprocessed tomato juice in humans. J. Nutr. 1122:2161-2166.
- Su, H. P. and C. W. Lin. 1988. A survey of the storage characteristics of dried sliced pork. J. Chin. Soc. Anim. Sci. 17:83-90.
- Tapiero, H., M. D. Townsend, and W. D. Tew. 2004. The role of carotenoids in the prevention of human pathologies. Biomed. Pharmacother. 58:100-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2003.12.006
- Tarladgis, B. G., B. M. Watts, M. T. Younathan, and L. Dugan. 1960. A distillation method for the quantitative determination of malonaldehyde in racid foods. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 37:44-48. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02630824
- Toor, R. K. and G. P. Savage. 2005. Antioxidant activity in different fractions of tomatoes. Food Res. Int. 38:487-494. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2004.10.016
- Vinson, J. A., Y. Hao, X. Su, L. Zubik, Y. Hao, and X. H. Su. 1998. Phenol antioxidant quantity and quality in foods: vegetables. J. Agri. Food Chem. 46:3630-3634. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980295o
- Yilmaz, I., O. Simsek, and M. Isikli. 2002. Fatty acid composition and quality characteristics of low-fat cooked sausage made with beef and chicken meat, tomato juice and sunflower oil. Meat Sci. 62:253-258. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00255-8
- Zhang, C. X., S. C. Ho, Y. M. Chen, J. H. Fu, S. Z. Cheng, and F. Y. Lin. 2009. Greater vegetable and fruit intake is associated with a lower risk of breast cancer among Chinese women. Int. J. Cancer 125:181-188. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.24358
- Effect on Cryopreservation Stability of Kimchi Duruchigi Supplemented with Rubus coreanus Miquel Extract vol.25, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2015.25.12.1362
- Effects of Procyanidin on Meat Quality and Shelf-Life for Preserving Pork Patties during Chilled Storage vol.35, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2015.35.4.564
- Effect of pomegranate seed powder, grape seed extract and tomato powder on the quality characteristics of chicken nuggets vol.45, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1108/NFS-01-2015-0008
- The quality and storage stability of chicken patties prepared with different additives vol.45, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1108/NFS-01-2015-0009
- Utilization of pomegranate seed powder and tomato powder in the development of fiber-enriched chicken nuggets vol.45, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1108/NFS-05-2015-0066
- Effects of Drying Temperature on Antioxidant Activities of Tomato Powder and Storage Stability of Pork Patties vol.36, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2016.36.1.51
- Effects of Edible Films Containing Procyanidin on the Preservation of Pork Meat during Chilled Storage vol.36, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2016.36.2.230
- Development of sweet and sour chicken meat spread based on sensory attributes: process optimization using response surface methodology vol.54, pp.13, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-017-2891-2
- Enhancing quality characteristics of salami sausages formulated with whole buckwheat flour during storage vol.54, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-016-2465-8
- The Effect of Buckwheat Hull Extract on Lipid Oxidation in Frozen-Stored Meat Products vol.82, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.13682
- Improving quality and shelf-life of minced beef using irradiated olive leaf extract pp.01458892, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.13789