- Volume 26 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effects of Single Cell Protein Replacing Fish Meal in Diet on Growth Performance, Nutrient Digestibility and Intestinal Morphology in Weaned Pigs
- Zhang, H.Y. ;
- Piao, X.S. ;
- Li, P. ;
- Yi, J.Q. ;
- Zhang, Q. ;
- Li, Q.Y. ;
- Liu, J.D. ;
- Wang, G.Q.
- Received : 2013.04.10
- Accepted : 2013.07.10
- Published : 2013.09.01
Three experiments were conducted to evaluate the ME value, standardized ileal digestibility (SID) of amino acids (AA) of fish meal, and the effects of single cell protein (Prosin and Protide) replacing fish meal in diet on growth performance, nutrient digestibility and intestinal morphology in weaned piglets. In Exp. 1, twenty-four barrows with initial BW of
Single-cell Protein;Fish Meal;Performance;Nutrient Digestibility;Intestinal Morphology;Weaned Pigs
- Aas, T. S., B. Grisdale-Helland, B. F. Terjesen, and S. J. Helland. 2006. Improved growth and nutrient utilisation in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) fed diets containing a bacterial protein meal. Aquaculture 259:365-376. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2006.05.032
- Adeola, O. and N. L. Bajjalieh. 1997. Energy concentration of high-oil corn varieties for pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 75:430-436.
- Anupama, P. and L. Ravindra, 2000. Value-added food: single cell protein. Biotechnol. Adv. 18:459-479. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-9750(00)00045-8
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis, 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA.
- Berge, G. M., G. Baeverf jord, A. Skrede, and T. Storebakken. 2005. Bacterial protein grown on natural gas as protein source in diets for Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, in saltwater. Aquaculture 244:233-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2004.11.017
- Braude, R., Z. D. Hosking, K. D. MitchellI, S. Plonka, and I. E. Sambrook. 1977. Pruteen, a new source of protein for growing pigs. I. Metabolic experiment: Utilization of nitrogen. Livest. Prod. Sci. 4:79-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(77)90022-7
- Cervantes-Pahm, S. K. and H. H. Stein. 2010. Ileal digestibility of amino acids in conventional, fermented, and enzyme-treated soybean meal and in soy protein isolate, fish meal, and casein fed to weanling pig. J. Anim. Sci. 88:2674-2683. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2677
- Greife, H. A. 1984. Die Nukleinsauren - ein gesundheitlicher Risikofaktor beim Einsatz von "Single-Cell Protein" in der Tierernahrung? (Teil 1). Kraftfutter. 67:412-414.
- Hanssen, J. T. and L. Farstad. 1980. Effects of feeding large amounts of "Pruteen" and "Toprina" on some biological parameters in growing finishing pigs. Acta Agric. Scand. 30:74-80. https://doi.org/10.1080/00015128009435698
- Hellwing, A. L. F., A. H. Tauson, O. Ahlstrom, and A. Skrede. 2005. Nitrogen and energy balance in growing mink (Mustela vison) fed different levels of bacterial protein meal produced with natural gas. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 59:335-352. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390500247873
- Hellwing, A. L. F., A. H. Tauson, and A. Skrede. 2006. Effect of bacterial protein meal on protein and energy metabolism in growing chickens. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 60:365-381. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390600884351
- Hellwing, A. L. F., A. H. Tauson, A. Skrede, and N. P. Kjos. 2007a. Bacterial protein meal- effects on protein and energy metabolism in pigs. Animal 1:45-54. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731107283879
- Hellwing, A. L. F., A. H. Tauson, A. Skrede, N. P. Kjos, and O. Ahlstrom. 2007b. Bacterial protein meal in diets for pigs and minks: Comparative studies on protein turnover rate and urinary excretion of purine base derivatives. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 61:425-443. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390701565248
- Karr-Lilienthal, L. K., N. R. Merchen, C. M. Grieshop, M. A. Flahaven, D. C. Mahan, N. D. Fastinger, M. Watts, and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 2004. Ileal amino acid digestibilities by pigs fed soybean meals from five major soybean-producing countries. J. Anim. Sci. 82:3198-3209.
- Kim, S. W. and R. A. Easter. 2001. Nutritional value of fish meals in the diets for young pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 79:1829-1839.
- Kuhad, R. C., A. Singh, K. K. Tripathi, R. K. Saxena, and K. E. L. Eriksson. 1997. Microorganisms as an alternative source of protein. Nutr. Rev. 55:65-75.
- Li, P. F., X. S. Piao, Y. J. Ru, X. Han, L. F. Xue, and H. Y. Zhang. 2012. Effects of adding essential oil to the diet of weaned pigs on performance, nutrient utilization, immune response and intestinal health. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 25:1617-1626. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12292
- Liu, P., X. S. Piao, P. A. Thacker, Z. K. Zeng, P. F. Li, D. Wang, and S. W. Kim. 2010. Chito-oligosaccharide reduces diarrhea incidence and attenuates the immune response of weaned pigs challenged with Escherichia coli k88. J. Anim. Sci. 88:3871-3879. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2771
- Montagne, L., J. R. Pluske, and D. J. Hampson. 2003. A review of interactions between dietary fibre and the intestinal mucosa, and their consequences on digestive health in young non-ruminant animals. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 108:95-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(03)00163-9
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient requirements of swine, 10th ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Overland, M., S. Skrede, and T. Matre. 2001. Bacterial protein grown on natural gas as feed for pigs. Acta. Agric. Scand. A. Anim. Sci. 51:97-106.
- Overland, M., N. P. Kjos, and A. Skrede. 2004. Effect of bacterial protein meal grown on natural gas on growth performance and carcass traits of pigs. Ital. J. Anim. Sci. 3:323-336.
- Paraskevopoulou, A., I. Athanasiadis, M. Kanellaki, A. Bekatorou, G. Blekas, and V. Kiosseogloua. 2003. Functional properties of single cell protein produced by kefir microflora. Food Res. Int. 36:431-438. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(02)00176-X
- Petersen, G. I. and H. H. Stein. 2006. Novel procedure for estimating endogenous losses and measuring apparent and true digestibility of phosphorus by growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 84:2126-2132. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-479
- Pluske, J. R., D. J. Hampson, and I. H. Williams. 1997. Factors influencing the structure and function of the small intestine in the weaned pig: A review. Livest. Prod. Sci. 51:215-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(97)00057-2
- SAS. 1999. SAS user's guide: Statistics (Version 8.01). SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Shen, Y. B., X. S. Piao, S. W. Kim, L. Wang, P. Liu, I. Yoon, and Y. G. Zhen. 2009. Effects of yeast culture supplementation on growth performance, intestinal health, and immune response of nursery pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 87:2614-2624. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-1512
- Skrede, A., T. Storebeakken, G. M. Berge, O. Herstad, K. G. Aarstad, and F. Sundstol. 1998. Digestibility of bacterial protein (BioProtein) grown on natural gas in mink, pigs, chicken and Atlantic salmon. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 76:103-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(98)00208-9
- Stein, H. H., C. F. Shipley, and R. A. Easter. 1998. Technical note: A technique for inserting a T-cannula into the distal ileum of pregnant sows. J. Anim. Sci. 76:1433-1436.
- Urbaityte, R., R. Mosenthin, M. Eklund, H. Piepho, N. Sauer, and M. Rademacher. 2009. Standardised ileal crude protein and amino acid digestibilities in protein supplements for piglets. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 63:356-378. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390903052631
- Wang, J. P., J. D. Kim, J. E. Kim, and I. H. Kim. 2013. Amino acid digestibility of single cell protein from Corynebacterium ammoniagenes in growing pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 180:111-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2012.12.006
- Williams, C. H., D. J. David, and O. Iismaa. 1962. The determination of chromic oxide in faeces sample by atomic absorption spectrophotometry. J. Agric. Sci. 59:381-385. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002185960001546X
- Woodworth, J. C., M. D. Tokach, R. D. Goodband, J. L. Nelssen, P. R. O' Quinn, D. A. Knabe, and N. W. Said. 2001. Apparent ileal digestibility of amino acids and the digestible and metabolizable energy content of dry extruded-expelled soybean meal and its effects on growth performance of pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 79:1280-1287.
- Zepka, L. Q., E. Jacob-Lopes, R. Goldbeck, L. A. Souza-Soares, and M. I. Queiroz. 2010. Nutritional evaluation of single-cell protein produced by Aphanothece microscopica Nageli. Bioresour. Technol. 101:7107-7111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2010.04.001
- Zhao, Y., B. Yu, X. B. Mao, J. He, Z. Q. Huang, Q. Mao, and D. W. Chen. 2012. Effect of dietary bacterial lysine by-product meal supplementation on growth performance and excretion of purine base derivatives in growing-finishing pig. Livest. Sci. 149:18-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2012.06.017
- Effect of hydrolysable tannins on intestinal morphology, proliferation and apoptosis in entire male pigs vol.70, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/1745039X.2016.1206735
- Potential of microbial-derived nutrients for aquaculture development pp.17535123, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/raq.12157
- Single Cell Protein—State-of-the-Art, Industrial Landscape and Patents 2001–2016 vol.8, pp.1664-302X, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2017.02009
- Review: Feed demand landscape and implications of food-not feed strategy for food security and climate change pp.1751-732X, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1017/S175173111700324X
- Energy concentration and phosphorus digestibility in yeast products produced from the ethanol industry, and in brewers' yeast, fish meal, and soybean meal fed to growing pigs1 vol.92, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-7416
- Energy concentration and phosphorus digestibility in single-cell protein and fish meal fed to growing pigs1 vol.94, pp.suppl_3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2015-9798
- Biotechnological potential of microbial consortia and future perspectives vol.38, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/07388551.2018.1471445
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of Chin, Ministry of Science and Technology of China