- Volume 26 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Rumen Fermentation and Performance of Lactating Dairy Cows Affected by Physical Forms and Urea Treatment of Rice Straw
- Gunun, P. (Tropical Feed Resources Research and Development Center (TROFREC), Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Wanapat, M. (Tropical Feed Resources Research and Development Center (TROFREC), Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Anantasook, N. (Tropical Feed Resources Research and Development Center (TROFREC), Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University)
- Received : 2013.02.09
- Accepted : 2013.05.13
- Published : 2013.09.01
The aim of this study was to determine the effect of different physical forms and urea treatment of rice straw on feed intake, rumen fermentation, and milk production. Four, multiparous Holstein crossbred dairy cows in mid-lactation with initial body weight (BW) of
- Roseler, D. K., J. D. Ferguson, C. J. Sniffen, and J. Herrema. 1993. Dietary protein degradability effect on plasma and milk urea nitrogen and milk nonprotein nitrogen in Holstein cows. J. Dairy Sci. 76:525-534. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(93)77372-5
- Samuel, M., S. Sagathewan, J. Thomus, and G. Mathen. 1997. An HPLC method for estimation of volatile fatty acids of rumen fluid. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 67:805-807.
- Sanh, M. V., H. Wiktorsson, and L. V. Ly. 2002. Effect of partial replacement of green grass by urea treated rice straw in winter on milk production of crossbred lactating cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:543-548. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.543
- SAS. 1996. SAS user's guide: Statistic, Version 5 Edition, SAS. Inst Cary, NC., USA.
- Satter, L. D., and L. L. Slyter. 1974. Effect of ammonia concentration on rumen microbial protein production in vitro. Br. J. Nutr. 32:199-208. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19740073
- Schroeder, M. M., H. W. Soita, D. A. Christensen, G. R. Khorasani, and J. J. Kennelly. 2003. Effect of total mixed ration particle size on rumen pH, chewing activity and performance in dairy cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1755-1762. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.1755
- Selim, A. S. M., J. Pan, T. Takano, T. Suzuki, S. Koike, Y. Kobayashi, and K. Tanaka. 2004. Effect of ammonia treatment on physical strength of rice straw, distribution of straw particles and particle-associated bacteria in sheep rumen. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 115:117-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2004.01.011
- Steel, R. G. D., and J. H. Torrie. 1980. Principles and procedure of statistics: A Biometrical Approach, 2nd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, USA.
- Van Keulen, J., and B. A. Young. 1977. Evaluation of acid insoluble ash as a neutral marker in ruminant digestibility studies. J. Anim. Sci. 44:282-287.
- Van Soest, P. J. 1994. Nutritional ecology of the ruminant, 2nd ed. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, New York, USA.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Method for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and non-starch polysaccharide in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Vu, D. D., L. X. Cuong, C. A. Dung, and P. H. Hai. 1999. Use of urea molasses multinutrient block and urea treated rice straw for improving dairy cattle productivity in Vietnam. Prev. Vet. Med. 38:187-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-5877(98)00124-X
- Wanapat, M. 1999. Feeding of ruminants in the tropicals base on local feed resources. Khon Kaen Publishing Company Ltd., Khon Kaen, Thailand.
- Gunun, P., and M. Wanapat. 2012. Effect of physical form of urea-treated rice straw on nitrogen balance, rumen fermentation and nutrient digestibility in dairy steers. Khon Kaen Agric. J. 40 (Suppl.):62-68.
- Hart, F. J., and M. Wanapat. 1992. Physiology of digestion of urea-treated rice straw in swamp buffaloes. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 5:617-622. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1992.617
- Hawk, P. B., B. L. Oser, and W. H. Summerson. 1976. Practical Physiological Chemistry, 14th ed. McGraw Hill Publishing Company Ltd., London, UK.
- Hue, K. T., D. T. T. Van, and I. Ledin. 2008. Effect of supplement in urea treated rice straw and molasses with different forage species on the performance of lambs. Small Rumin. Res. 78:134-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2008.05.010
- IAEA. 1997. Determination of purine derivative in urine. In: Estimation of the Rumen Microbial Protein Production from Purine Derivatives in Rumen. Animal Production and Health Section. Vienna, Austria. p. 49.
- Kearl, L. C. 1982. Nutrient requirements of ruminants in developing countries. International Feedstuff Institute, Utah Agri. Exp. Sta, Utah State University, Logan, USA.
- Lunsin, R., M. Wanapat, and P. Rowlinson. 2012. Effect of cassava hay and rice bran oil supplementation on rumen fermentation, milk yield and milk composition in lactating dairy cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 25:1364-1373. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12051
- Khejornsart, P., and M. Wanapat. 2010. Effect of chemical treatment of rice straw on rumen fermentation characteristic, anaerobic fungal diversity in vitro. J. Anim. Vet. Adv. 9:3070-3076. https://doi.org/10.3923/javaa.2010.3070.3076
- Krause, K. M., and D. K. Combs. 2003. Effects of forage particle size, forage source, and grain fermentability on performance and ruminal pH in midlactation cows. J. Dairy Sci. 86:1382-1397. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73722-9
- Mapato, C., M. Wanapat, and A. Cherdthong. 2010. Effect of urea treatment of straw and dietary level of vegetable oil on lactating dairy cows. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 42:1635-1642. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-010-9613-3
- Mertens, D. R. 1997. Creating a system for meeting the fiber requirements of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 80:1463-1481. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76075-2
- NRC. 2001. Nutrient requirements of dairy cattle, 7th rev. ed. National Research Council. National Academy of Science, Washington, DC, USA.
- Nurfeta, A., A. Tolera, L. O. Eik and F. Sundstol. 2009. Feeding value of enset (Ensete ventricosum), Desmodium intortum hay and untreated or urea and calcium oxide treated wheat straw for sheep. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 93:94-104. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2007.00784.x
- Oji, U. I., H. E. Etim, and F. C. Okoye. 2007. Effects of urea and aqueous ammonia treatment on the composition and nutritive value of maize residues. Small Rumin. Res. 69:232-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2006.01.015
- Prasad, R. D. D., M. R. Reddy, and G. V. N. Reddy. 1998. Effect of feeding baled and stacked urea treated rice straw on the performance of crossbred cows. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 73:347-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(98)00140-0
- Rigout, S., C. Hurtaud, S. Lemosquet, A. Bach, and H. Rulquin. 2003. Lactational effect of propionic acid and duodenal glucose in cows. J. Dairy Sci. 86:243-253. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73603-0
Wanapat, M., and O. Pimpa. 1999. Effect of ruminal
$NH_3$-N levels on ruminal fermentation, purine derivatives, digestibility and rice straw intake in swamp buffaloes. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 12:904-907. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1999.904
- Wanapat, M., and A. Cherdthong. 2009. Use of real-time PCR technique in studying rumen cellulolytic population as affected by level of roughage in swamp buffalo. Curr. Microbiol. 58:294-299. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00284-008-9322-6
- Wanapat, M., F. Sundstøl, and T. H. Garmo. 1985. A comparison of alkali treatment methods to improve the nutritive value of straw. I. Digestibility and metabolizability. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 12:295-309. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(85)90006-9
- Wanapat, M., S. Chumpawadee, and P. Paengkoum. 2000. Utilization of urea-treated rice straw and whole sugar cane crop as roughage sources for dairy cattle during the dry season. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 13:474-477. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.474
- Wanapat, M., A. Cherdthong, P. Pakdee, and S. Wanapat. 2008. Manipulation of rumen ecology by dietary lemongrass (Cymbopogon citrates Stapf.) powder supplementation. J. Anim. Sci. 86:3497-3503. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-0885
- Wanapat, M., R. Pilajun, and P. Kongmun. 2009a. Ruminal ecology of swamp buffalo as influenced by dietary sources. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 151:205-214. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2009.01.017
- Wanapat, M., S. Polyorach, K. Boonnop, C. Mapato, and A. Cherdthong. 2009b. Effects of treating rice straw with urea or urea and calcium hydroxide upon intake, digestibility, rumen fermentation and milk yield of dairy cows. Livest. Sci. 125:238-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2009.05.001
- Wanapat, M., R. Pilajun, S. Kang, K. Setyaningsih, and A. R. Setyawan. 2012. Effect of ground corn cob replacement for cassava chip on feed intake, rumen fermentation and urinary derivatives in swamp buffaloes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 25:1124-1131. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12109
- Yanez Ruiz, D. R., A. Moumen, A. I. Martin Garcia, and E. Molina Alcaide. 2004. Ruminal fermentation and degradation patterns, protozoa population, and urinary purine derivatives excretion in goats and wethers fed diets based on two-stage olive cake: Effect of PEG supply. J. Anim. Sci. 82:2023-2032.
- Yang, W. Z., K. A. Beauchemin, and L.M. Rode. 2001. Effects of grain processing, forage to concentrate ratio, and forage particle size on rumen pH and digestion by dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 84:2203-2216. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74667-X
- Zhao, X. G., M. Wang, Z. L. Tan, S. X. Tang, Z. H. Sun, C. S. Zhou, and X. F. Han. 2009. Effects of rice straw particle size on chewing activity, feed intake, rumen fermentation and digestion in goats. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 22:1256-1266. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.80672
- Allen, M. S. 1997. Relationship between fermentation acid production in the rumen and the requirement for physically effective fiber. J. Dairy Sci. 80:1447-1462. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76074-0
- Ananatasook, N., and M. Wanapat. 2012. Influence of rain tree pod meal supplementation on rice straw based diets using in vitro gas fermentation technique. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 25:325-334. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.11131
- Anantasook, N., M. Wanapat, A. Cherdthong, and P. Gunun. 2013. Effect of plants containing secondary compounds with palm oil on feed intake, digestibility, microbial protein synthesis and microbial population in dairy cows. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 26:820-826. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12689
- AOAC. 1995. Official method of analysis, 16th ed. Animal Feeds: Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Virginia, USA.
- ARC. 1990. The nutrient requirements of ruminant livestock. Suppl. 1, Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, Slough, Farnham Royal, UK.
- Bremmer, J. M., and D. R. Keeney. 1965. Steam distillation methods to determination of ammonium, nitrate and nitrite. Anal. Chim. Acta 32:485-495. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-2670(00)88973-4
- Bryant, M. P. 1974. Nutritional features and ecology of predominant anaerobic bacteria of the intestinal tract. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 27:1313-1319.
- Bhandari, S. K., S. Li, K. H. Ominski, K. M. Wittenberg, and J. C. Plaizier. 2008. Effects of the chop lengths of alfalfa silage and oat silage on feed intake, milk production, feeding behavior, and rumen fermentation of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 91:1942-1958. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0358
- Chen, X. B., Y. K. Chen, M. F. Franklin, E. R. Orskov, and W. J. Shand. 1992. The effect of feed intake and body weight on purine derivative excretion and microbial protein supply in sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 70:1534-1542.
- Cherdthong, A., M. Wanapat, and C. Wachirapakorn. 2011. Effects of urea-calcium mixture in concentrate containing high cassava chip on feed intake, rumen fermentation and performance of lactating dairy cows fed on rice straw. Livest. Sci. 136:76-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2010.08.002
- Collaway, T. R., J. E. Keen, T. S. Edrington, L. H. Baumgard, L. Spicer, E. S. Fonda, K. E. Griswold, T. R. Overton, M. E. VanAmburgh, R. C. Anderson, K. J. Genovese, T. L. Poole, R. B. Harvey, and D. J. Nisbet. 2005. Fecal prevalence and diversity of Salmonella species in lactating dairy cattle in four states. J. Dairy Sci. 88:3603-3608. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)73045-9
- Crocker, C. L. 1967. Rapid determination of urea nitrogen in serum or plasma without deproteinization. Am. J. Med. Technol. 33:361-365.
- Distel, R. A., J. J. Villalba, and H. E. Laborde. 1994. Effects of early experience on voluntary intake of low-qualily roughage by sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 72:1191-1195.
- Djibrillou, O. A., V. S. Pandey, S. A. Gouro, and A. Verhulst. 1998. Effect of urea-treated or untreated straw with cotton seed on performances of lactating Maradi (Red Sokoto) goats in Niger. Livest. Prod. Sci. 55:117-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(98)00130-4
- Dutta, N., K. Sharma, and U. Naulia. 2004. Nutritional evaluation of lentil (Lens culinaris) straw and urea treated wheat straw in goats and lactating buffaloes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1529-1534. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.1529
- Galo, E., S. M. Emanuele, C. J. Sniffen, J. H. White, and J. R. Knapp. 2003. Effects of a polymer-coated urea product on nitrogen metabolism in lactating Holstein dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 86:2154-2162. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73805-3
- Garcia-Martinez, A., B. Albarran-Portillo, O. A. Castelan-Ortega, A. Espinoza-Ortega, and C. M. Arriaga-Jordan. 2009. Urea treated maize straw for small-scale dairy systems in the highlands of Central Mexico. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 41:1487-1494. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-009-9337-4
- Grant, R. J., and V. F. Colenbrander. 1990. Milk fat depression in dairy cows: Role of particle size of alfalfa hay. J. Dairy Sci. 73:1823-1833. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(90)78862-5
- Grovum, W. L. 1988. Appetite, palatability and control of feed intake. In: The Ruminant Animal (Ed. D. C. Church). Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, pp. 202-216.
- Chen, X. B., and M. J. Gomes. 1995. Estimation of microbial protein supply to sheep and cattle based on urinary excretion of purine derivative-an overview of the technique details. Occasional Publication 1992. International Feed Resources Unit, Rowett Research Institute, Aberdeen, UK.
- Effects of Condensed Tannins in Mao (Antidesma thwaitesianum Muell. Arg.) Seed Meal on Rumen Fermentation Characteristics and Nitrogen Utilization in Goats vol.29, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0552
- A cold-adapted endoglucanase from camel rumen with high catalytic activity at moderate and low temperatures: an anomaly of truly cold-adapted evolution in a mesophilic environment vol.22, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00792-018-0999-6
- The impact of hydrolyzing and oxidizing agents on chemical composition and digestibility of various high-fibre forages vol.73, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/gfs.12369