- Volume 26 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Genetic Variation and Phylogenetic Relationships of Indian Buffaloes of Uttar Pradesh
- Joshi, Jyoti (Department of Animal Genetics, National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources) ;
- Salar, R.K. (Department of Biotechnology, Chaudhary Devi Lal University) ;
- Banerjee, Priyanka (Department of Animal Genetics, National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources) ;
- Upasna, S. (Department of Animal Genetics, National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources) ;
- Tantia, M.S. (Department of Animal Genetics, National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources) ;
- Vijh, R.K. (Department of Animal Genetics, National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources)
- Received : 2012.11.30
- Accepted : 2013.03.05
- Published : 2013.09.01
India possesses a total buffalo population of 105 million out of which 26.1% inhabit Uttar Pradesh. The buffalo of Uttar Pradesh are described as nondescript or local buffaloes. Currently, there is no report about the genetic diversity, phylogenetic relationship and matrilineal genetic structure of these buffaloes. To determine the origin and genetic diversity of UP buffaloes, we sequenced and analysed the mitochondrial DNA D-loop sequences in 259 samples from entire Uttar Pradesh. One hundred nine haplotypes were identified in UP buffaloes that were defined by 96 polymorphic sites. We implemented neutrality tests to assess signatures of recent historical demographic events like Tajima's D test and Fu's Fs test. The phylogenetic studies revealed that there was no geographic differentiation and UP buffaloes had a single maternal lineage while buffaloes of Eastern UP were distinctive from rest of the UP buffaloes.
Buffalo;Mitochondrial DNA D-loop Region;Neutrality Test;Phylogenetic Analysis
- Bandelt, H. J., P. Forster, and A. Rohl. 1999. Median-joining networks for inferring intraspecific phylogenies. Mol. Biol. Evol. 16:37-48. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.molbev.a026036
- Bradley, D. G., R. T. Loftus, P. Cunningham, and D. E. Machugh. 1998. Genetics and domestic cattle origins. Evol. Anthropol. 6:79-86. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6505(1998)6:3<79::AID-EVAN2>3.0.CO;2-R
- Cann, R. L., W. M. Brown, and A. C. Wilson. 1984. Polymorphic sites and the mechanism of evolution in human mitochondrial DNA. Genetics 106:479-499.
- Excoffier, L. 2004. Patterns of DNA sequence diversity and genetic structure after a range expansion: lessons from the infinite-islandmodel. Mol. Ecol. 13:853-864. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-294X.2003.02004.x
- Excoffier, L., and H. E. L. Lischer. 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: A new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows. Mol. Ecol. Res. 10:564-567. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1755-0998.2010.02847.x
- Excoffier, L., P. E. Smouse, and J. M. Quattro. 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: Application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479-491.
- Fu, Y. X. 1997. Statistical tests of neutrality of mutations against population growth, hitchhiking and background selection. Genetics 147:915-925.
- Fu, Y. X., and W. H. Li. 1993. Statistical tests of neutrality of mutations. Genetics 133:693-709.
- Hall, T. 1999. Bioedit: A biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for windows 95/98/nt. Nucleic Acids Symp. Ser. 41:95-98.
- Harpending, H. C. 1994. Signature of ancient population growth in a low-resolution mitochondrial DNA mismatch distribution. Hum. Biol. 66:591-600.
- Avise, J. C. 2000. Phylogeography: the history and formation of species. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. p. 447.
- Avise, J. C., J. Arnold, R. M. Ball, E. Bermingham, T. Lamb, J. E. Neigel, C. A. Reeb, and N. C. Saunders. 1987a. Intraspecific Phylogeography: The mitochondrial DNA bridge between population genetics and systematics. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 18:489-522.
- Harpending, H. C., S. T. Sherry, A. R. Rogers, and M. Stoneking. 1993. Genetic structure of ancient human populations. Curr. Anthropol. 34:483-496. https://doi.org/10.1086/204195
- Harrison, R. G. 1989. Animal mitochondrial DNA as a genetic marker in population biology and evolutionary biology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 4:6-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-5347(89)90006-2
- Kierstein, G., M. Vallinoto, A. Silva, M. P. Schneider, L. Iannuzzi, and B. Brenig. 2004. Analysis of mitochondrial d-loop region casts new light on domestic water buffalo (Bubalus Bubalis) phylogeny. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 30:308-324. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1055-7903(03)00221-5
- Kumar, S., M. Nagarajan, J. S. Sandhu, N. Kumar, and V. Behl. 2007a. Phylogeography and domestication of Indian River buffalo. BMC Evol. Biol. 7:186. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2148-7-186
- Kumar, S., M. Nagarajan, J. S. Sandhu, N. Kumar, V. Behl, and G. Nishanth. 2007b. Mitochondrial DNA analyses of Indian water buffalo support a distinct genetic origin of river and swamp buffalo. Anim. Genet. 38:227-232. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.2007.01602.x
- Lau, C. H., R. D. Drinkwater, K. Yusoff, S. G. Tan, D. J. Hetzel, and J. S. Barker. 1998. Genetic diversity of asian water buffalo (Bubalus Bubalis): Mitochondrial DNA D-Loop and cytochrome b sequence variation. Anim. Genet. 29:253-264. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.1998.00309.x
- Lee, Y. J., M. S. A. Bhuiyan, H. J. Chung, W. Y. Jung, K. D. Choi, B. G. Jang, W. K. Paek, J. T. Jeon, C. S. Park, and J. H. Lee. 2007. Mitochondrial DNA diversity of Korean Ogol chicken. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20:477-481. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.477
- Lei, C. Z., W. Zhang, H. Chen, F. Lu, Q. L. Ge, R.Y. Liu, R. H. Dang, Y. Y. Yao, L.B. Yao, Z. F. Lu, and Z. L. Zhao. 2007. Two maternal lineages revealed by mitochondrial DNA Dloop sequences in Chinese native water buffaloes (Bubalus Bubalis). Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20:471-476. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.471
- Lei, C. Z., W. Zhang, H. Chen, F. Lu, R. Y. Liu, X. Y. Yang, H. C. Zhang, Z. G. Liu, L. B. Yao, Z. F. Lu, and Z. L. Zhao. 2007. Independent maternal origin of Chinese swamp buffalo (Bubalus Bubalis). Anim. Genet. 38:97-102. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.2007.01567.x
- Livestock Census. 2007. Department of animal husbandary and dairying, Govt. of India, New Delhi, India.
- Malau-Aduli, A. E. O., A. Nishimura-Abe, T. Niibayashi, Y. Yasuda, T. Kojima, S. Abe, K. Oshima, K. Hasegawa, and M. Komatsu. 2004. Mitochondrial DNA polymorphism, maternal lineage and correlations with postnatal growth of Japanese black beef cattle to yearling age. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1484-1490. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.1484
- Nei, M. 1987. Molecular evolutionary genetics. Columbia university press. New York.
- Odahara, S., H. J. Chung, S. H. Choi, S. L. Yu, S. Sasazaki, H. Mannen, C. S. Park, and J. H. Lee. 2006. Mitochondrial DNA diversity of Korean native goats. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:482-485. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.482
- Okello, J. B. A., S. Nyakana, C. Masembe, H. R. Siegismund, and P. Arctander. 2005. Mitochondrial DNA variation of the common hippopotamus: evidence for a recent population expansion. Heredity 95:206-215. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.hdy.6800711
- Pichler, F. B. 2002. Genetic assessment of population boundaries and gene exchange in Hector's dolphin. DOC Science Internal Series 44.
- Ray, N., M. Currat, and L. Excoffier. 2003. Intra-deme molecular diversity in spatially expanding populations. Mol. Biol. Evol. 20:76-86. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msg009
- Rogers, A. R. 1995. Genetic evidence for a Pleistocene population expansion. Evolution 49:608-615. https://doi.org/10.2307/2410314
- Rogers, A. R., and H. Harpending. 1992. Population growth makes waves in the distribution of pairwise genetic differences. Mol. Biol. Evol. 9:552-569.
- Rozas, J., J. C. Sanchez-Delbarrio, X. Messeguer, and R. Rozas. 2003. Dnasp, DNA polymorphism analyses by the coalescent and other methods. Bioinformatics 19:2496-2497. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btg359
- Ruiz-Pesini, E., D. Mishmar, M. Brandon, V. Procaccio, and D. C. Wallace. 2004. Effects of purifying and adaptive selection on regional variation in human mtDNA. Science 303:223-226. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1088434
- Schneider, S., and L. Excoffier. 1999. Estimation of past demographic parameters from the distribution of pairwise differences when the mutation rates vary among sites: application to human mitochondrial DNA. Genetics 152:1079-1089.
- Slatkin, M., and R. R. Hudson. 1991. Pairwise comparisons of mitochondrial DNA sequences in stable and exponentially growing populations. Genetics 129:555-562.
- Su, B., Y. Fu, Y. Wang, L. Jin, and R. Chakraborty. 2001. Genetic diversity and population history in Red panda (Ailurus fulgens) as inferred from mitochondrial DNA sequence variations. Mol. Bio. Evol. 18:1070-1076. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.molbev.a003878
- Tajima, F. 1989. Statistical method for testing the neutral mutation hypothesis by DNA polymorphism. Genetics 123:585-595.
- Tamura, K., and M. Nei. 1993. Estimation of the number of nucleotide substitutions in the control region of mitochondrial DNA in humans and chimpanzees. Mol. Bio. Evol. 10:512- 526.
- Tamura, K., D. Peterson, N. Peterson, G. Stecher, M. Nei, and S. Kumar. 2011. MEGA 5.10: Molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28:2731-2739. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msr121
- Thompson, J. D., D. G. Higgins, and T. J. Gibson. 1994. Clustal W: Improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 22:4673-4680. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/22.22.4673
- Troy, C. S., D. E. Machugh, J. F. Bailey, D. A. Magee, R. T. Loftus, P. Cunningham, A. T. Chamberlain, B. C. Sykes, and D. G. Bradley. 2001. Genetic evidence for near-eastern origins of european cattle. Nature 410:1088-1091. https://doi.org/10.1038/35074088
- Upasna, S., P. Banerjee, J. Joshi, and R. K. Vijh. 2011. Bayesian and multivariate analysis of buffaloes of Indo-Gangetic plains for revealing cryptic spatial patterns of genetic variability. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 81:1039-1043.
- Wright, S. 1951. The genetic structure of populations. Ann. Eugen. 15:323-354.