- Volume 33 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Differences in the Taste-active Compounds between Hanwoo Longissimus and Semitendinosus Muscles and Its Comparision with Angus Longissimus Beef Muscle
- Received : 2013.04.01
- Accepted : 2013.08.12
- Published : 2013.08.31
Taste-active compounds (e.g., amino acids and nucleotides) play an important role in contribution to the gustatoty sensation of food. The current study aimed to examine the differences in taste-active compounds between different beef muscles, breeds and aging periods. We have chosen the longissimus dorsi and semitendinosus muscles of Hanwoo breed and longissimus dorsi muscle of Angus breed for the investigation of the aforementioned compounds. Hanwoo muscles were aged for 7 or 28 d, and Angus samples were aged for 28 d at
amino acid;nucleotide;chiller aging;muscle;breed
- Aristoy, M. C. and Toldra, F. (1991) Deproteinization technique for HPLC amino acid analysis in fresh pork muscle and dry cured ham. J. Agri. Food Chem. 39, 1792-1975. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00010a020
- Aristoy, M. C. and Toldra, F. (2009) Nucleotides and its derived compounds. In: Handbook of Muscle Foods Analysis, Nollet, L. M. L., Aristoy, M-C, Toldra, F. (eds). Toyler and Francis Group, LLC, pp. 279-298.
- Chen, J. L., Wen, J., Wang, S. B., Zhao, G. P., Zheng, M. Q., and Yang, N. (2004) Sensory evaluation for umami taste of inosine-5-monophosphate. China Poult. 8, 104-106.
- Chen, D. W. and Zhang, M. (2007) Non-volatile taste active compounds in the meat of Chinese mitten crab (Eriocheir sinensis). Food Chem. 104, 1200-1205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.01.042
- Faustman, C. and Cassens, R. G. (1991) The effect of cattle breed and muscle type on discoloration and various bio-chemical parameters in fresh beef. J. Anim. Sci. 69, 184-193.
- Feidt, C., Petit, A., Bruas-Reignier, F., and Brun-Bellit, J. (1996) Release of free amino acids during aging in bovine meat. Meat Sci. 44, 19-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(96)00088-5
- Flores, M., Alasnier, C., Aristoy, M. C., Navarro, J. L., Gandemer, G., and Toldra, F. (1996) Activity of aminopeptidase and lipolytic enzymes in five skeletal muscles with various oxidative pattern. J. Sci. Food Agric. 70, 127-130. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199601)70:1<127::AID-JSFA475>3.0.CO;2-9
- Flores, M., Armero, E., Aristoy, M., and Toldra, F. (1999) Sensory characteristics of cooked pork loin affected by nucleotide content and post mortem meat quality. Meat Sci. 51, 53-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00097-7
- Fuke, S. (1994) Taste-active components of seafood's with special reference to umami substances. In: Chemistry, processing technology and quality. Shahidi, F., and Botta, J. R. (eds). Blackie Academic and Professional. Glasgow, UK, pp.115-139.
- Gerard, K. W., Hipkiss, A. R., and Schneider, D. L. (1988) Degradation of intracellular protein in muscle. J. Biol. Chem. 263, 18886-18890.
- Hwang, Y. H., Kim, G. D., Jeong, J. Y., Hur, S. J., and Joo, S. T. (2010) The relationship between muscle fiber characteristics and meat quality traits of high marbled Hanwoo steers. Meat Sci. 86, 456-461. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.05.034
- Jo, C., Cho, S. H., Chang, J., and Nam, K. C. (2012) Keys to production and processing of Hanwoo beef: A perspective of tradition and science. Anim. Front. 2, 32-38.
- Kato, H., Rhue, MR., and Nishimura, T. (1989) Role of free amino acids and peptides in food taste. In: Flavor chemistry. Teranishi, R., Buttery, R. G., and Shahidi, F (Eds). Trends and Development, pp. 158-174.
- Kavitha, S. and Modi, V. K. (2007) Effect of water activity and temperature on degradation of 5'-inosine monophosphate in a meat model system. LWT-Food Sci Tech. 40, 1280-1286. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2006.07.014
- Koga, K., Fukunaga, T., and Kawagoe, S. (1987) Free amino acids, carnosine and 5'-inosinic acid contents in the beef loin and beef round. Met. Fac. Agr. Kagoshima Univ. 23, 121-129.
- Kim, Y., Puangsumalee, P., Barrett, D., Haseltine, C., and Warr, S. (2009) Korean beef market: Developments and prospects, Australian Bureu of Agricultural and Resources Economics (ABARE) research report.
- Koutsidis, G., Elmore, J. S., Oruna-Concha, M. J., Campo, M. M., Wood, J. D., and Mottram, D. S. (2008a) Water-soluble precursors of beef flavor: I. Effect of diet and breed. Meat Sci. 79, 124-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.08.008
- Koutsidis, G., Elmore, J. S., Oruna-Concha, M. J., Campo, M. M., Wood, J. D., and Mottram, D.S. (2008b) Water-soluble precursors of beef flavor. Part II: Effect of post-mortem conditioning. Meat Sci. 79, 270-277. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.09.010
- Liu, Y., Xu, X. I., and Zhou, G. (2007) Changes in taste compounds of duck during processing. Food Chem. 102, 22-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.03.034
- Massa, A. E. Paredi, M. E., and Crupkin, M. (2003) A chemical assessment of freshness in stored adductor muscle from scallops. Braz. J. Chem. Eng. 20, 147-152.
- Mateo, J., Domeguez, M., Aguirrezabal, M. M., and Zumalacarregui, J. M. (1996) Taste compound in Chorizo and their changes during ripening. Meat Sci. 44, 245-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(96)00098-8
- Mottram, D. S. (1994) Some aspects of the chemistry of meat flavor. In: The Flavor of Meat and Meat Products. Shahidi, F. (ed) Blackie, Glasgow, pp. 210-230.
- Moya, V.J., Flores. M., Aristoy, M-C., and Toldra, F. (2001) Pork meat quality affects peptide and amino acid profiles during the aging process. Meat Sci. 58, 197-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00152-2
- National Livestock Cooperatives Federation (NLCF). (2004) Korean carcass grading standard. Seoul: National Livestock Cooperatives Federation.
- Nishimura, T., Rhue, M. R., Okitani, A., and Kato, H. (1988) Components contributing to the improvement of meat taste during storage. Agric. Biol. Chem. 52, 2323-2330. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.52.2323
- Nishimura, T. (1998) Mechanism involved in the improvement of meat taste during postmortem aging; review. Food Sci. Technol. Int. 4, 241-249. https://doi.org/10.3136/fsti9596t9798.4.241
- Nishimura, T. and Kato, H. (1988) Taste of free amino acids and peptides. Food Rev. Int. 4, 175-194. https://doi.org/10.1080/87559128809540828
- Okumura, T., Yamada, R., and Nishimura, T (2004) Sourness-suppressing peptides in cooked pork loins. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 68, 1657-1667. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.68.1657
- Robbins, K., Jensen, J., Ryan, K.J., Homco-Ryan, C., Mc-Keith, F.K., and Brewer, M. S. (2003) Consumer's attitudes towards beef and acceptability of enhanced beef. Meat Sci. 65, 721-729. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00274-7
- SAS (2007) SAS/STAT Software for PC. Release 9.0, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Sasaki, K., Motoyama, M., and Mitsumoto, M. (2007) Changes in the amounts of water-soluble umami-related substances in porcine longissimus and biceps femoris muscles during moist heat cooking. Meat Sci. 77, 167-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.02.025
- Savell, J. W., Branson, R. E., Cross, H. R., Stiffler, D. M., Wise, J. W., Griffin, D. B., and Smith, G. C. (1987) National consumer retail beef study: palatability evaluations of beef loin steaks that differed in marbling. J. Food Sci. 52, 517-519. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1987.tb06664.x
- Tikk, M., Tikk, K., Trngren, M. A., Meinert, L., Aaslyng, M. D., Karlsson, A. H., and Andersen, H. J. (2006) Development of inosine monophosphate and its degradation products during aging of pork of different qualities in relation to basic taste and retronasal flavor perception of the meat. J. Agric. Food Chem. 54, 7769-7777. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf060145a
- Toldra, F. (2006) The role of muscle enzymes indry-cured meat products with different drying conditions. Trends Food Sci. Tech. 17, 164-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2005.08.007
- Wu, H. C. and Shiau, C. Y. (2002) Proximate composition, free amino acids and peptides contents in commercial chicken and other meat essences. J. Food Drug Anal. 10, 170-177.
- Woodward, C. and Henderson, J. W. (2007) High-speed amino acid analysis on 1.8im Reversed-Phase (RP) columns. Agilent technologies, Pharmaceuticals and Foods, pp. 1-13.
- Influence of specific taste-active components on meat flavor as affected by intrinsic and extrinsic factors: an overview vol.241, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-015-2449-3
- Application of Electron-Beam Irradiation Combined with Aging for Improvement of Microbiological and Physicochemical Quality of Beef Loin vol.36, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2016.36.2.215