- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Switching Behavior between Social Networking Sites : Exploring The Philippine Case of Friendster Versus Facebook
소셜 네트워킹 사이트의 전환에 미치는 영향 요인 : 필리핀의 프렌드스터와 페이스북을 중심으로
- Polinar, Stephanie (Department of Computer Science, University of San Carlos) ;
- Lee, Hong Joo (Department of Business Administration, The Catholic University of Korea) ;
- Choi, Jaewon (Graduate School of Information, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2013.07.25
- Accepted : 2013.08.16
- Published : 2013.08.31
Considering the widespread use of social networking sites (SNSs) and the sudden shift of Filipino SNS usage from Friendster to Facebook, this paper examines five factors that affect user intentions to switch SNSs. By surveying switchers from Friendster to Facebook in the Philippines, satisfaction, alternative attractiveness, and social influence were significant factors affecting switching intent.
- Ajzen, I., "The Theory of Planned Behavior. Organizational Behavior and Human," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol. 50, pp. 179-211, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Allen, R., Factors Influencing the Usage of Social Networking Websites among Young, Professional South Africans, University of Pretoria, 2008.
- Antón, C., Camarero, C., and Carrero, M., "Analysing Firms' Failures as Determinants of Consumer Switching Intentions : The Effect of Moderating Factors," European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 41, No. 1-2, pp. 135-158, 2007a. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560710718157
- Anton, C., Camarero, C., and Carrero, M., "The Mediating Effects of Satisfaction on Consumers' Switching Intention," Psychology and Marketing, Vol. 24, No. 6, pp. 511-538, 2007b. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20171
- Boyd, D., Friendster lost steam, Is MySpace just a fad? In Apophenia Blog, 2006.
- Boyd, D. and Ellison, N., "Social Network Sites : Definition, History, and Scholarship," Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 210-230, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2007.00393.x
- Burnham, T. A., Frels, J. K., and Mahajan, V., "Consumer Switching Costs : A Topology, Antecedents, and Consequences," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 109-126, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070302250897
- Chen, P. and Hitt, L. M., "Measuring Switching Costs and the Determinants of Customer Retention in Internet-Enabled Business : A Study of the Online Brokerage Industry," Information Systems Research, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 255-274, 2003.
- DeLone, W. and McLean, E., "Information Systems Success : The Quest for the Dependent Variable," Information Systems Research, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 60-95, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.3.1.60
- Dizon, D., Facebook Usage in RP Surges. In Abs-cbnNEWS.com, 2009.
- Goldberg, S., Analysis : Friendster is Doing Just Fine. In Digital Media Wire, 2007.
- Gonzales, A. L. and Hancock, J. T., "Mirror, Mirror on my Facebook Wall : Effects of Exposure to Facebook on Self-Esteem," Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, Vol. 14, No. 1-2, pp. 79-83, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2009.0411
- Keaveney, S. M., "Customer Switching Behavior in Service Industries : An Exploratory Study," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 59, No. 2, pp. 71-82, 1995.
- Keaveney, S. M. and Parthasarathy, M., "Customer Switching Behavior in Online Services : An Exploratory Study of the Role of Selected Attitudinal, Behavioral, and Demographic Factors," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 374-390, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1177/03079450094225
- Kim, G., Shin, B., and Lee, H. G., "A Study of Factors that Affect User Intentions Toward Email Service Switching," Information and Management, Vol. 43, No. 7, pp. 884-893, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2006.08.004
- Kim, S. S. and Son, J., "Out of Dedication or Constraint? A Dual Model of Post- Adoption Phenomena and Its Empirical Test in the Context of Online Services," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 49-70, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2307/20650278
- Kujath, C. L., "Facebook and MySpace: Complement or Substitute for Face-to- Face Interaction?," Cyberpsychology, Bebhavior, and Social Networking, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 75-78, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2009.0311
- Lapena, C. G., From Friendster to Facebook and beyond. In GMANews. TV, 2009.
- Li, D., Browne, G. J., and Wetherbe, J. C., "Online Consumers' Switching Behavior : A Buyer-Seller Relationship Perspective," Journal of Electronic Commerce in Organizations, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 30-42, 2007. https://doi.org/10.4018/jeco.2007010102
- Lu, J., Yao, J. E., and Yu, C., "Personal Innovativeness, Social Influences and Adoption of Wireless Internet Services via Mobile technology," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 109-126, 2005.
- Manotoc, T., Facebook is new king of the Web. In Abs-cbnNEWS.com, 2010.
- Munoz, C. L. and Towner, T. L., Opening Facebook : How to Use Facebook in the College Classroom. In Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education Conference. Charleston, South Carolina, U. S. A, 2009.
- Newitz, A., Cracking the Code to Romance. In Wired, 2004.
- Ping, R. A., "The Effects of Satisfaction and Structural Constraints on Retailer Exiting, Voice, Loyalty, Opportunism, and Neglect," Journal of Retailing, Vol. 69, No. 3, pp. 320-352, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-4359(93)90010-G
- Rusbult, C. E., Martz, J. M., and Agnew, C. R., "The Investment Model Scale : Measuring commitment level, satisfaction level, quality of alternatives, and investment size," Personal Relationships, Vol. 5, pp. 357-391, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6811.1998.tb00177.x
- Steinfield, C., Ellison, N. B., and Lampe, C., "Social capital, self-esteem, and use of online social network sites : A longitudinal analysis," Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 434-445, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appdev.2008.07.002
- Subrahmanyam, K., Reich, S. M., Waechter, N., and Espinoza, G., "Online and offline social networks : Use of social networking sites by emerging adults," Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 420-433, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appdev.2008.07.003
- Xia, Z. D., "Marketing library services through Facebook groups," Library Management, Vol. 30, No. 6, pp. 469-478, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1108/01435120910982159
- Yang, E., Hwang, W., and Kim, D., "Characteristics of Social Computing Websites Based on Design Factors and User Emotions", The Journal of Society for e-Business Studies, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 75-90, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7838/jsebs.2012.17.1.075
- Yang, Z. and Peterson, R. T., "Customer Perceived Value, Satisfaction, and Loyalty : The Role of Switching Costs," Psychology and Marketing, Vol. 21, No. 10, pp. 799-822, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20030
- Ye, C., Seo, D. B., Desouza, K., Papagari, S., and Jha, S., Post-Adoption Switching Between Technology Substitutes: The Case of Web Browsers. In International Conference on Information Systems, p. 116, 2006.
- Yoon, Y. S. and Lee, K. Y., "The Impact of Users' Satisfaction and Habits in Customer Loyalty to Continue the Mobile Social Network Service," The Journal of Society for e-Business Studies, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 123-142, 2010.
- Zhang, K. Z. K., Lee, M. K. O., Cheung, C. M. K., and Chen, H., "Understanding the Role of Gender in Bloggers' Switching Behavior," Decision Support Systems, Vol. 47, 540-546, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2009.05.013