- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Nursing Professionalism, Self-Efficacy and Nurse Parent Partnership in Pediatric Nurses
아동간호사의 간호전문직관, 자기효능감과 환아부모와의 파트너십
- Cho, Eun-Ju (Seoul National University Hospital) ;
- Bang, Kyung-Sook (College of Nursing, The Research Institute of Nursing Science, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2013.01.05
- Accepted : 2013.03.04
- Published : 2013.04.30
Purpose: To provide basic data to improve the practice environment of pediatric nurses by identifying their recognition of nursing professionalism and self-efficacy, and to examine the pediatric nurse parent partnership. Methods: Participants in the study were 165 nurses with 6 months of work experience in a university children's hospital in Seoul. Data were collected using a self-report questionnaire. Research tools measuring nursing professionalism, self-efficacy, and pediatric nurse parent partnership were used. The collected data were analyzed using SPSS PASW statistics 19.0. Results: There were statistically significant positive correlations for nursing professionalism and self-efficacy (r=.359, p<.001), nursing professionalism and the pediatric nurse parent partnership (r=.487, p<.001), and self-efficacy and the pediatric nurse parent partnership (r=.442, p<.001).According to the general characteristics of the participants, nurses who were married, practiced religion and had children tended to have higher nursing professionalism. Higher self-efficacy was exhibited by nurses who were older, married and raising children and the pediatric nurse parent partnership tended to have higher scores for nurses who practiced religion and worked in a general ward. Conclusion: The findings indicate that higher nursing professionalism and self-efficacy result in a better pediatric nurse parent partnership which should improve the practice environment of pediatric patients.
- Abraham, P. J. (2011). Developing nurse leaders: A program enhancing staff nurse leadership skill and professionalism. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 35(4), 306-312. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/NAQ.0b013e31822ecc6e https://doi.org/10.1097/NAQ.0b013e31822ecc6e
- Bandura, A. (1997). Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. New York: Freeman.
- Celik, S., & Hisar, F. (2012). The influence of the professionalism behaviour of nurses working in health institution on job satisfaction. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 18, 180-187. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2012.02019.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2012.02019.x
- Choi, M. Y. (2012). Development and testing of the pediatric nurse parent partnership scale. Doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Espezel, H. J., & Canam, C. J. (2003). Parent-nurse interaction: Care of hospitalized children. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 44(1), 34-41. http:// dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02765.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02765.x
- Fetzer, S. J. (2003). Professionalism of associate degree nurses: The role of self-actualization. Nursing Education Perspectives, 24(3), 139-143.
- Gallant, M. H., Beaulieu, M. C., & Carnevale, F. A. (2002). Partnership: An analysis of the concept within the nurse-client relationship. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 40(2), 149-157. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2002.02357.x
- Greenglass, E. R., Burke, R. J., & Moore, K. A. (2003). Reaction to increased workload: Effects on professional efficacy of nurses. Applied Psychology: An international review, 52(4), 580-597. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1464-0597.00152 https://doi.org/10.1111/1464-0597.00152
- Han, K. J., Kim, H. A., Kim, S. Y., & Kim, J. S. (2002). An analysis of the concepts in child health nursing studies in Korea (1): from 1990 to 2000. Korean Journal of Chid Health Nursing, 8(4), 449-457.
- Hook, M. L. (2006). Partnering with patients: A concept ready for action. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 56(2), 133-143. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ j.1365-2648.2006.03993.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2006.03993.x
- Hwang, J. I., Lou, F., Han, S. S., Cao, F., Kim, W. O., & Li, P. (2009). Professionalism: The major factor influencing job satisfaction among Korean and Chinese nurses. International Nursing Review, 56(3), 313-318. http:// dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2009.00710.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2009.00710.x
- Kim, H. S. (2002). Approaches to nursing knowledge development from the critical perspective. Journal of Nursing Query, 11(1), 55-68.
- Ko, S. H., & Chung, B. Y. (2004). Nursing professionalism and job satisfaction of nurses in general hospital. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 10(3), 335-344.
- Ko, Y. K., & Kang, K. H. (2006). A study on the relationship between selfefficacy, collective-efficacy and job stress in the nursing staff. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 12(2), 276-286.
- Lee, P. (1999). Partnership: What does it mean today? Journal of Child Health Care, 3(4), 28-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/136749359900300406
- Lee, P. (2007). What does partnership in care mean for children's nurse? Journal of Clinical Nursing, 16(3), 518-526. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2006.01591.x
- Lim, H. S., & Oh, K. O. (1999). A study of the relationship between views on profession and organizational commitment. Chungnam Journal of Nursing Academy, 2(1), 27-36.
- Lloyd, M., Urquhart, G., Heard, A., & Kroese, B. (2008). When a child says 'no': Experiences of nurses working with children having invasive procedures. Paediatric Nursing, 20(4), 29-34. https://doi.org/10.7748/paed.20.4.29.s24
- McDermott, K., Lashinger, H., & Shamian, J. (1996). Work empowerment and organizational commitment. Nursing Management, 27, 11-47. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006247-199608000-00002
- Moon, Y. S., & Han, S. J. (2011). Impact of self-efficacy and nursing professionalism on organizational commitment in nurses. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 17(1), 72-79. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.1.072
- Oh, H. S. (1993). Health promoting behaviors and quality of life of Korean women with arthritis. Doctoral dissertation, University of Texas, Austin.
- Primm, R. D. (2010). Professionalism among occupational health nurses. American Associate of Occupational Health Nurses Journal, 58(7), 281-283. http://dx.doi.org/10.3928/08910162-20100625-02
- Rhodes, M. K., Schutt, M. S., Langham, G. W., & Bilotta, D. E. (2012). The journey to nursing professionalism: A learner-centered approach. Nursing Education Perspectives, 33(1), 27-29. https://doi.org/10.5480/1536-5026-33.1.27
- Ronsten, B., Andersson, E., & Gustafsson, B. (2005). Confirming mentorship. Journal of Nursing Management. 13, 312-321. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2934.2005.00541.x
- Seoul National University Hospital Department of Nursing (2011). Nursing annual report of 2010. Seoul: Seoul National University Hospital Department of Nursing.
- Sherer, M., Maddux, J. E., Mercandante, B., Prentice-Dunn, S., Jacobs, B., & Rogers, R. W. (1982). The self-efficacy scale: Construction and validation. Psychological Report, 51, 663-671. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1918.104.22.1683
- Sok, S. H., Shin, D. S., & Kim, K. B. (2006). A study of correlation between interpersonal relationship and self-efficacy of nursing students. Journal of Korean Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing Academic Society, 15(4), 475-481.
- Taylor, H., & Reyes, H. (2012). Self-efficacy and resilience in baccalaureate nursing students. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 9(1), 1-13. http://dx.doi.org10.1515/1548-923X.2218
- Yeun, E. J., Kwon, Y. M., & Ahn, O. H. (2005). Development of a nursing professional values scale. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 35(6), 1091-1100. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.6.1091