- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Psychometric Evaluation of a Six Dimension Scale of Nursing Performance and Student Nurse Stress Index Using an Objective Structured Clinical Examination - Modules for Asthma and Type 1 Diabetes
객관구조화 임상시험을 활용한 간호수행능력의 Six Dimension Scale과 간호학생 스트레스 평가지수의 도구 평가-천식 및 1형 당뇨 모듈을 중심으로
- Park, Kyong-Ok (Department of Nursing, Hanyang University) ;
- Ahn, Young-Mee (Department of Nursing, Inha University) ;
- Kang, Na-Rae (Inha University) ;
- Lee, Mi-Jin (Inha University) ;
- Sohn, Min (Department of Nursing, Inha University)
- Received : 2013.01.04
- Accepted : 2013.03.14
- Published : 2013.04.30
Purpose: The study purposes were to describe the process of developing the Korean versions of the Six Dimension Scale of Nursing Performance (Six-D) and Student Nurse Stress Index (SNSI) and psychometric evaluation of the two measurements. Methods: This was a methodology study using a descriptive cross-sectional design with 51 nursing students in 4th year of university. Internal consistency reliability was assessed using Cronbach alphas. Construct validity was determined by exploring correlations among Six-D, SNSI, objective structured clinical examination (OSCE), self-efficacy and grade point average (GPA). Results: Internal consistency reliability of Six-D and SNSI was acceptable with Cronbach's
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- Bandura, A. (1997). The anatomy of stages of change. American Journal of Health Promotion, 12, 8-10. https://doi.org/10.4278/0890-1171-12.1.8
- Beck, D. L., & Srivastava, R. (1993). Perceived level and sources of stress in Baccalaureate nursing students. Journal of Nursing Education, 30, 127-133
- Brennan, G., & McSherry, R. (2006). Exploring the transition and professional socialization from health care assistant to student nurse. Nurse Education in Practice, 7, 206-214. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2006.08.006
- Burnard, P., Edwards, D., Bennett, K., Thaibah, H., Tothova, V., Baldacchino, D., et al. (2008). A comparative, longitudinal study of stress in student nurses in five countries: Albania, Brunei, the Czech Republic, Malta and Wales. Nurse Education Today, 28. 134-145. http://dx.doi. org/10.1016/j.nedt.2007.04.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2007.04.002
- Cho, A. (2005). The mediating effect of social support in the relationship between adolescents' stress and academic achievement. Korean Journal of Educational Research, 43, 137-155.
- Cohen, B. J. (1988). Assessing stress and coping in nursing students. In C. F. Waltz, & O. L. Strickland (Ed.), Measurement of Nursing Outcomes: Vol.3. Professional Development in Education and Practice (pp. 323-348). New York: Springer publishing Co.
- Failla, S., Maher, A. M., & Duffy, A. C. (1999). Evaluation of graduates of an associate degree nursing program. Journal of Nursing Education, 38, 62-68.
- Galbraith, N., & Brown, K. E. (2011) Assessing intervention effectiveness for reducing stress in student nurses: Quantitative systematic review. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 67, 709-721. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ j.1365-2648.2010.05549.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05549.x
- Han, M. H., & Park, S. G. (2011). Analysis of trends in self-assessment of performance of clinical skills in nursing students after OSCE. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 18, 210-216.
- Haq, I., Higham, J., Morris, R., & Dacre, J. (2005). Effect of ethnicity and gender on performance in undergraduate medical examinations. Medical Education, 39, 1126-1128. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2929. 2005.02319.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2929.2005.02319.x
- Jairath, N., Costello, J., Wallace, P., & Rudy, L. (1991). The effect of preceptorship upon diploma program nursing students' transition to the professional nursing role. Journal of Nursing Education, 30, 251-255.
- Jones, C. M., & Johnston, W. D. (1999). The derivation of a brief student nurse stress index. Work & Stress, 13, 162-181. https://doi.org/10.1080/026783799296129
- Junious, L. D., Malecha, A., Tart, K., & Young, A. (2010). Stress and perceived faculty support among foreign-born baccalaureate nursing students. Journal of Nursing Education, 49, 261-270. http://dx.doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20100217-02 https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20100217-02
- Kim, H. S. (2002). A study on relationship between stress of clinical practice and clinical competency in nursing students. Journal of Korean Community Health Nursing Academic Society, 16, 64-76.
- Kim, I. S., Jang, Y. K., Park, S. H., & Song, S. H. (2011). Critical thinking disposition, stress of clinical practice and clinical competence of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academic Society Nursing Education, 17, 339-347.
- Kim, S. L., & Lee, J. E. (2005). Relationship among stress, coping strategies and self esteem, in nursing students taking clinical experience. Journal of Korean Academic Society Nursing Education, 11, 98-106.
- Kim, Y. R., & Kim, T. E. (2004). Leaener's stress, school-related coping and academic achievement. Journal of Educational Research, 43, 137-155
- Klein, C., & Fowles, R. E. (2009). An investigation of nursing competence and the competency outcomes performance assessment curricular approach: Senior students' self-reported perceptions. Journal of Professional Nursing, 25, 109-121. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2008.08.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2008.08.006
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing. (2012). Accreditation standards for baccalaureate program of nursing. Seoul: Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education.
- Liaw, Y. S., Scherpbier, A., Rethans, J. J., & Klainin-Yobas, P. (2012). Assessment for simulation learning outcomes: A comparison of knowledge and self-reported confidence with observed clinical performance. Nurse Education Today, 32, 35-39. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt. 2011.10.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011.10.006
- Nunnally, J., & Bernstein, I. (1994). The assessment of reliability, In J. Nunnally, & I. Bernstein (Ed.), Psychometric theory (3rd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Pryjmachuk, S., & Richards, A. D. (2007). Mental health nursing students differ from other nursing students : Some observations from a study on stress and coping. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, 16, 390-402. http://dx/doi.org/10.1111/j.1447-0349.2007.00494.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1447-0349.2007.00494.x
- Schwirian, M. P. (1978). Evaluating the performance of nurses : A multidimensional approach. Nursing Research, 27, 347-351.
- Tully, A. (2004). Stress, sources of stress and ways of coping among psychiatric nursing students. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 11, 43-47. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2850.2004.00682.x
- Udlis, A. K. (2008) Preceptorship in undergraduate nursing education: An integrative review. Journal of Nursing Education, 47, 20-29. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20080101-09
- Vivekananda-Schmidt, P., Lewis, M., Hassell, B. A., Coady, D., Walker, D., Kay, L., et al. (2007). Validation of MSAT: An instrument to measure medical students' self-assessed confidence in musculoskeletal examination skills. Medical Education, 41, 402-410. http://dx/doi.org/10.1111/ j.1365-2929.2007.02712.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2929.2007.02712.x
- Whang, S. J. (2006). The relationship between clinical stress, self-efficacy and self-esteem of nursing college students. Journal of Korean Academic Society Nursing Education, 12, 205-213.
- Won, J. S., Kim, K. S., Kim, K. H., Kim, W. O., Yu, J. H., Jo, H. S., et al. (2000). The effect of foot massage on stress in student nurses in clinical practice. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 7, 192-207.
- Yucha, B. C., Kowalski, S., & Cross, C. (2009). Student stress and academic performance : Home hospital program. Journal of Nursing Education, 48, 631-638. http://dx/doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20090828-05 https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20090828-05