- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Trend and Perspectives of Studies on Paternal Parenting in Pediatric Nursing
아동간호학에서의 아버지 자녀양육에 대한 연구 경향과 전망
- Kwon, In-Soo (College of Nursing, Gyeongsang National University)
- 권인수 (경상대학교 간호대학)
- Received : 2013.04.01
- Accepted : 2013.04.20
- Published : 2013.04.30
The significance of father's parenting has been considered as a critical factor in facilitating growth and development and in promoting wellbeing of children. Pediatric nursing is a pertinent science to develop parenting roles, because it deals with knowledge and skills on growth and development and health of child. For this paper current studies were reviewed related to consequences to the family, content and factors influencing paternal parenting, and father's reactions to child rearing participation. Perspectives of future studies in pediatric nursing are summarized as follows. First, paternal parenting has to be studied more actively to contribute to family health and to meet the academic responsibility of pediatric nursing. Second, it is necessary to study the consequences to child's health and health behavior of paternal parenting. Also it is necessary to be concerned about fathers' reactions, like stress in parenting behavior, to understand the parenting father himself. Third, an objective measure of caregiving behavior (not self-reporting) is needed to determine whether the father is behaving appropriately. Further, experimental research has to be implemented to develop intervention programs for paternal parenting. It is hoped that the examination of these studies leads to develop of knowledge and practice in paternal parenting.
- Lee, H. J., Lee, S. A., Kim, M. H., Kim, Y. H., & Park, N. H. (2004). A study of parental knowledge and confidence in newborn care. Korean Journal of Child Health Nursing, 10(3), 262-271.
- Lee, J. H., & Kim, H. Y. (2004). Paternal rearing behaviors of preschool children's fathers. Korean Parent-Child Health Journal, 7(1), 50-60.
- Oh, J., Oh, Y. A., & Nam, Y. H. (2005). The paternal attachment to neonate in one hospital. Korean Parent-Child Health Journal, 8(2), 137-146.
- Oh, M. Y., & Yee, Y. H. (2006). A comparative study between fathers and mothers on the parenting efficacy, knowledge of infant-care and sensitivity. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 9(3), 47-62.
- Palkovitz, R. (1996). Parenting as a generator of adult development: Conceptual issues and implications. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 13, 571-592. https://doi.org/10.1177/0265407596134006
- Schoppe-Sullivan, S. J., Brown, G. L., Cannon, E. A., Mangelsdorf, S. C., & Sokolowsky, M. S. (2006). Maternal gatekeeping coparenting quality, and fathering behavior in families with infants. Journal of Family Psychology, 22(3), 389-398.
- Song, J. S., & Song, J. Y. (2009). A study on parenting competence, spousal support, and child rearing stress. The Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, 14(6), 185-205.
- Sung, M. H., & Joo, K. S. (2007). Self-confidence and satisfaction in father's role performance among husbands of primiparas. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 13(3), 291-298.
- Wieser, M. A., & Castiglia, P. T. (1984). Assessing early father-infant attachment. Maternal Child Nursing, 9, 104-106.
- Woo, H. J., & Lee, S. (1994). Investigation on causal relationships between home environment and children's self-efficacy. The Korean Journal of Child Studies, 15(1), 71-90.
- Bigner, J. J. (1985). Parent-child relations. New York: Macmillan Publication Company.
- Bowlby, J. (1969). Attachment and loss. Vol. 1. Attachment. New York: Basic Books.
- Chae, J. Y. (2011). Paternal parenting behavior and its related variables. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 29(5), 75-83.
- Fagan, J., & Palm, G. (2004). Fathers and early childhood program. New York: Delmar Learning.
- Greenberg, M., & Morris, N. (1974). Engrossment: The newborn's impact upon the father. American Journal of Orthopsychiatrics, 44(4), 520-531. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-0025.1974.tb00906.x
- Abidin, R. R. (1992). The determinants of parenting behavior. The Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 21(4), 401-412.
- Bigner, J. J. (1977). Attitude forward fathering and father-child activity. Home Economics Research Journal, 6(2), 99-106.
- Han, K. J. (2000). Child-rearing and nursing role. Korean Parent-Child Health Journal, 3(1), 95-101.
- Huh, B. Y., & Han, K. J. (2009). Father involvement in child-rearing and maternal depression during early childhood. Korean Parent-Child Health Journal, 12(2), 131-146.
- Hwang, S. Y., Chong, Y. S., & Woo, S. K. (2005). Father's involvement in parenting, role satisfaction, and young children's social competence as a function of socio-demographic variables. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 14(4), 521-529.
- Hyun, J. H. (2004). A study on the understanding of growing of child and activity of bringing up in father. Journal of Fisheries and Marine Sciences Education, 16(2), 171-180.
- Kang, H. J., & Yoo, G. S. (2005). A study of sharing housework and child in dual-earner couples - focused on restraining and driving factors. Family and Culture, 17(3), 187-219.
- Kang, R. H. (2000). The current trend in the studies of the role of the father. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 38(7), 153-165.
- Kim, J. Y. (1995). The degree of paternal attachment to neonate. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 25(2), 330-340.
- Kim, S. A., & Han, Y. J. (2009). The effects of father's parenting behavior and stress, and knowledge on child rearing on his parenting self-efficacy. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 18(1), 55-64.
- Kim, Y. H. (1998a). Patterns of father-infant play interaction: A pilot study. Korean Journal of Child Health Nursing, 4(1), 31-44.
- Kim, Y. H. (1998b). A study of father's care giving in infancy. Korean Parent-Child Health Journal, 1(1), 75-87.
- Kim, Y. H., & Kim, S. J. (2008). Child-rearing attitudes of fathers of preschool children. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 14(1), 79-89.
- Lamb, M. E. (1976). The role of the father in child development. New York: Wiley.
- Lamb, M. E., Pleck, J. H., Charnov, E. L., & Levine, J. A. (1985). Paternal behavior in human. American Zoologist, 25, 883-894. https://doi.org/10.1093/icb/25.3.883