- Volume 49 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Growth characteristic of Pacific cod, Gadus macrocephalus in theWest Sea of Korea
한국 서해 대구, Gadus macrocephalus (Tilesius)의 성장특성
- Kim, Heeyong (Fisheries Resources and Environment Division, Southwest Sea Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI) ;
- Kim, Sanghwa (Fisheries Resources and Environment Division, Southwest Sea Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI) ;
- Im, Yangjae (Fisheries Resources and Environment Division, West Sea Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI) ;
- Hwang, Hak Jin (Resources Management Headquarters, Korea Fisheries Resources Agency) ;
- Huh, Sunjung (Ecology & Environment Division, South Sea Branch, Korea Fisheries Resources Agency)
- 김희용 (국립수산과학원 남서해수산연구소 자원환경과) ;
- 김상화 (국립수산과학원 남서해수산연구소 자원환경과) ;
- 임양재 (국립수산과학원 서해수산연구소 자원환경과) ;
- 황학진 (한국수산자원관리공단 자원관리본부 전략사업실) ;
- 허선정 (한국수산자원관리공단 남해지사 생태환경실)
- Received : 2013.04.15
- Accepted : 2013.07.27
- Published : 2013.08.31
The age and growth of the Pacific cod, Gadus macrocephalus were investigated using left sagittal otoliths of 682 individuals collected in the West Sea of Korea from January to December 2007. The seasonal changes in the ratio of an opaque zone to interval between annular rings revealed that the narrow translucent parts of the otolith were annual growth rings formed between February and March once a year. The spawning period was December to January and therefore the duration from fertilization to the complete formation of the opaque zone became thirteen months. From the parameters calculated using the average length when the year ring was formed, the estimated von Bertalanffy growth equations were
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- Bakkala RG. 1984. Pacific cod of the eastern Bering Sea. Int North Pac Fish Comm Bull 42, 157-179.
- Beamish RJ. 1981. Use of fin-ray sections to age walleye pollock, Pacific cod, and albacore, and importance of this method. Trans Amer Fish Soc 110, 287-299. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1981)110<287:UOFSTA>2.0.CO;2
- Beamish RJ, Weir KR, Scarsbrook JR and Smith MS 1978. Growth of young Pacific hake, walleye pollock, Pacific cod and lingcod in Stuart Channel in 1976. Fish Mar Serv MS Rep 1518, 111.
- Chilton DE and Beamish RJ. 1982. Age determination methods for fishes studied by the ground fish program at the Pacific Biological Station. Can Spec Pub Fish Aquat Sci 60, 102.
- Choi BY. 2012. Ecological Study on Pacific Cod's (Gadus macrocephalus) Resources in Jinhae Bay, Korea. M.S. Thesis, Gyeongsang Natl. Univ. Tongyeong, Korea, 16-24.
- Gwak WS and Nakayama. 2011. Genetic variation and population structure of the Pacific cod Gadus macrocephalus in Korean waters revealed by mtDNA and msDNA markers. Fish Sci 77, 945-952.
- Chyung MK. 1988. The fishes of Korea. IL-Ji Sa Seoul Korea, 1-257.
- Hattori T, Sakurai Y and Shimazaki K. 1992. Maturation and reproductive cycle of female Pacific cod in waters adjacent to the southern coast of Hokkaido, Japan. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 58, 2245-2252. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.58.2245
- Hattori T. 1994. Study on the growth, maturity and breeding ecology of Pacific cod (Gadus macrocephalus). Ph.D. Thesis Hokkaido Univ Japan, 1-150.
- Ketchen KS. 1970. An examination of criteria for determining the age of Pacific cod (Gadus macrocephalus) from otoliths. Fish Res Bd Can Tech Rep 171, 1-42.
- Kennedy WA. 1970. Reading scales to age Pacific cod (Gadus macrocephalus) from Hecate Strait. J Fish Res Bd Can 27, 915-922. https://doi.org/10.1139/f70-098
- Kim TJ, Kim BG, Park CY, Choi BY, Joo HU,, Ji HS,, Shin SY, Lee SG and GwakWS. 2007. Characteristics of Pacific cod, Gadus macrocephalus during the spawning period in the Jinhae Bay. Korea Fish market survey Abstract AhnMeet Kor Fish Soc, 146.
- Kim TJ, Park CY, Lee SG and Gwak WS. 2007. Morphological development of eggs of the Pacific cod, Gadus macrocephalus on for estimating age composition using age-length key. Fish Bull 85, 179-185.
- Lee CS, Hur YH, Lee KY, kim WK, Hong SH, Hwang SJ and Choi SH. 2005. Maturity and spawning of pacific Cod (Gadus macrocephalus) in the East Sea. J Kor Fish Soc 38, 245-250.
- Lee JY. Lee CS, Lee WK, Park SU and Min BH. 2007. Effects of water temperature on egg development, hatching and larval growth rearing of the Pacific cod Gadus macrocephalus. J Aquaculture 20, 260-264.
- Mosher KH. 1954. Use of otoliths for determining the age of several fishes from the Bering Sea. J Cons Perm Int Expl Mer 19, 337-344. https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/19.3.337
- Seo YS, Park ME, Kim JY and Lee SU. 2007. Egg development and juvenile growth of the Pacific cod Gadus macrocephalus (Korean East Sea Population). J Kor Fish Sci 40, 380-386. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2007.40.6.380
- Uchida K. 1936. On the Pacific cod of adjacent waters to Korea. Chousen no Suisan 130, 24-39.
- Westrheim SJ and shaw W. 1982. Progress report on validating age determination methods for Pacific cod (Gadus macrocephalus). Can S Rep Fish Aquat Sci 1670, 41.
- Westrheim SJ. 1996. On the Pacific cod (Gadus macrocephalus) in British Columbia waters, and a comparison with Pacific cod elsewhere, and Atlantic cod (G. morhua). Can Tech Rep Fish Aquat Sci 2092, 390.
- Yoon CH. 2002. Fishes of Korea with pictorial key and systematic list. Academybook Seoul Korea, 1-447.
- Comparison of Biological Characteristics of Pacific Cod Gadus microcephalus between the East and Yellow Seas, Korea vol.49, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2016.0499