- Volume 49 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Dominant causes on the catch fluctuation of a set net fishery in the mid-south sea of Korea
남해 중부해역 정치망어업 어획량 변동의 원인
- Kim, Heeyong (Fisheries Resources and Environmental Division, Southwestern Sea Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI) ;
- Song, Se Hyun (Fisheries Resources and Environmental Division, Southwestern Sea Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI) ;
- Lee, Sunkil (Fisheries Resources and Environmental Division, Southwestern Sea Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI) ;
- Kim, Jong-Bin (Fisheries Resources and Environmental Division, Southwestern Sea Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI) ;
- Yoo, Joon-Taek (Fisheries Resources and Environmental Division, Southwestern Sea Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI) ;
- Jang, Dae-Soo (Fisheries Resources and Environmental Division, Southwestern Sea Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI)
- 김희용 (국립수산과학원 남서해수산연구소 자원환경과) ;
- 송세현 (국립수산과학원 남서해수산연구소 자원환경과) ;
- 이선길 (국립수산과학원 남서해수산연구소 자원환경과) ;
- 김종빈 (국립수산과학원 남서해수산연구소 자원환경과) ;
- 유준택 (국립수산과학원 남서해수산연구소 자원환경과) ;
- 장대수 (국립수산과학원 남서해수산연구소 자원환경과)
- Received : 2013.03.14
- Accepted : 2013.07.04
- Published : 2013.08.31
The annual and monthly fluctuation in the species composition and the catch abundance of dominant species were analyzed using the daily sales slip catch data by a set net in the offshore waters off Dolsan Island in Yeosu from March 2004 to December 2011. Mean catch from 2004 to 2011 is 372M/T and the maximum and the minimum catch are 526 M/T in 2005 and 27 2M/T in 2009, respectively. The dominant species were Engraulis japonicus mainly in spring and Scomberomorous niphonius in Autumn and therefore the set net catch that is dominated by S. niphonius's catch was much higher in autumn than in spring. Through comparative analyses for the environmental factors to the annual catch fluctuation, it is revealed that the water temperature variation affected the recruitment property of S. niphonius to the fishing ground but the effect of typhoon on the catch fluctuation was not distinct. Furthermore, the big blooming event of jellyfish, particularly Nemopilema nomurai, that occurred in 2009 showed a tendency of faster appearance and later extinction until December. The occurring characteristic of N. nomurai became a direct cause that brought about the lowest total catch in 2009 since the dominant species catch of the set net fishery was concentrated mostly in Autumn.
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- Brodeur RD, Sugisaki H and Hunt Jr. 2002. Increases in jellyfish biomass in the Bering Sea : implications for the ecosystem. Mar Eco Prog Ser 233, 89-103. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps233089
- Cha BY, Kim BY and Oh SW. 2001. Catch variation and fishing period of the set net fishery in coastal waters of Jeju Island. Korean J Ichthyol 13, 210-219.
- Cha BY, Kim BY and Jang DS. 2004. Seasonal variation of fish catch by a set net in Hamdeuk fishing ground off Jeju island. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 37, 65-72. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2004.37.1.065
- Cha BY. 2009. Composition and catch variation of fisheries resources by set net in the Mizo fishing ground off Namhae island. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 21, 191-199.
- Chen CT, Lie CT, Chung WS, Yang YJ, Shiah FK, Tang TY and Chung SW. 2003. Enhanced buoyancy and hence upwelling of surface Kuroshio waters after a typhoon in the southern East China Sea, J Mar Syst 42, 65-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-7963(03)00065-4
- Go YB and Shin HS. 1988. Species occurrence and food chain of fisheries resources, nekton, on the coast Pukchon, Cheju island. I. species composition and diversity. Bull Korean Soc 21 , 131-138.
- Huh SH, Park JM and Baeck GW. 2006. Feeding habits of spanish mackerel (Scomberomorus niphonius) in the southern sea of Korea. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 39, 35-41. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2006.39.1.035
- Hwang SD, Im YJ, Kim YC, Cha HK and Choi SH. 1998. Fishery resources off Youngkwang. II. species composition of catch by a otter trawl. J Korean Soc Fish Tech 31, 739-748.
- Hwang SD, Kim JY, Kim JI, Kim ST, Seo YI, Kim JB, Kim YH and Heo SJ. 2006. Species composition using the daily catch data of a set net in the coastal waters off Yeosu, Korea. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 18, 223-233.
- Jeong JC. 2013. Analysis of ocean color data for observation on the ocean environment change caused by typhoon path. Journal of the Korean association of Geographic information studies 16, 59-66. https://doi.org/10.11108/kagis.2013.16.1.059
- Kawahara M, Uye S, Ohtsu K and Iizumi H. 2006. Unusual population explosion of the giant jellyfish (Nemopilema nomurai Scyphozoa : Rhizostomeae) in east asian waters. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 307, 161-173. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps307161
- Kim BY, Kim SJ, Lee CH, Kim JB and Seo DO. 2002. Studies on the development of the fishing system of set net in the coast of Jeju Island-Studies for the man power saving of fishing system by pound net. Bull Mar Environ Res Inst 26, 7-13.
- Kim HY, Choi MS, Seo YI, Lee SK and Cha HK. 2011. Recruitment characteristics of jack mackerel, Trachurus japonicus, in the waters around the Geumo islands by using both sides fyke nets. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 47, 356-368. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.4.356
- Kim YH, Kim JB and Chang DS. 2003. Seasonal variation of abundance and species composition of fishes caught by a set net in the coastal waters off Yeosu, Korea. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 36, 120-128. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2003.36.2.120
- Lee TW and Seok KJ. 1984. Seasonal fluctuations in abundance and species composition of fishes in the Cheon-su Bay using trap net catches. J Oceanol Soc Korea 19, 217-227.
- Moller. 1980. Population dynamics of Aurelia aurita Medusae in Kiel Bight Germany (FRG). Mar Biol 60, 123-128. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00389155
- NFRDI. 2010. Ecology and fishing ground of fisheries resources in Korean waters. 2010, Korea, 199-210.
- Purcell JE, Uye S and Lo WT. 2007. Anthropogenic causes of jellyfish blooms and their direct consequences for humans : a review. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 350, 153-174. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps07093
- Sassa C, Yoshinobu K and Mori K. 2006. Distribution of jack mackerel (Trachurus Japonicus) larvae and juveniles in the east china sea, with special reference to the larval transport by the Kuroshio current. Jpn Fish Oceanogr 15, 508-518. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2419.2006.00417.x
- Shin SS. 2001. Seasonal fluctuations in species composition of fishes collected by set net fishery in Dolsan, Yeosu. Chonnam national Univ, Korea, 1-48.
- Shoji J and Tanaka M. 2004. Effect of prey concentration on growth of piscivorous japanese spanish mackerel Scomberomorus niphonius larvae in the Seto inland sea, Japan. Jpn Soc Sci Fish 20, 271-275.
- Uye S. 2008. Blooms of the giant jellyfish (Nemopilema nomurai) : a threat to the fisheries sustainability of the east asian marginal seas. Plankton Benthos Res 3, 125-131. https://doi.org/10.3800/pbr.3.125
- Xian W, Kang B and Liu R. 2005. Jellyfish blooms in the Yangtze esturary. Science 307, 41.
- Species Composition and Seasonal Variations of Fishes Collected by Set Net in Coastal Waters of Gijang, Korea vol.47, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0983
- The Characteristics and Spatio-temporal Distribution of Fish Schools during Summer in the Marine Ranching Area (MRA) of Yeosu using Acoustic Data vol.47, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0283
- A study on the management performance of a set net fishery according to the blooming frequency of jelly fish Nemopliema nomurai in Yeosu vol.51, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.1.042
- Species Composition and Distribution of Set-net Catches on the Coast of Dapo, Geoje Island vol.47, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0997
- Acoustic monitoring using multi-beam imaging sonar through a set net in the Southern Sea, Korea vol.82, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12562-016-1013-9
- Acoustic monitoring using bamboo set net in the Southern Sea of Korea vol.52, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12601-017-0002-y