- Volume 49 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Size selectivity of the net pot for common octopus Octopus minor used in the southern coastal sea of Korea
- Kim, Seonghun (Fisheries Engineering Division, National Fisheries Research & Development Institute) ;
- Park, Seongwook (Fisheries Engineering Division, National Fisheries Research & Development Institute) ;
- Lee, Kyounghoon (Fisheries Engineering Division, National Fisheries Research & Development Institute)
- Received : 2013.06.10
- Accepted : 2013.08.06
- Published : 2013.08.31
This paper presents the mesh selectivity of a net pot for common octopus Octopus minor for the sustainable resources management of common octopus. The filed experiments were carried out the total 10 times in the southern part of coastal sea in Korea from March to May in 2010 using net pots of five different mesh sizes (16, 18, 20, 22 and 26mm). The test of size selectivity, indicated a 50% selection value on the logistic master curve of 3.195, whereby 50% of individuals with a mantle size of approximately 70.3mm selected a mesh size of 22mm. Considering that 50% of common octopus entering sexual maturity have a mantle size of 70.6mm, the optimum mesh size should be equal to, or larger than 22mm.
- Ahn HC, Lee KH, Park SW, Park CD and Shin JK. 2007. Assessment of fishing power of common octopus (Octopus minor) trap fishery. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 43, 176-182. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.3.176
- Akaike H. 1974. A new look at the statistical model identification. IEEE Trans. Autom Contr AC-19, 716-723.
- Chang DJ and Kim DA. 2003. Characteristics by the behavior and habits of the common octopus (Octopus minor). J Kor Fish Soc 36, 735-742.
- Cohre AL. 1973. An ultrastructural analysis of the photo receptors of the squid and their synaptic connections, photoreceptive and non-synaptic regions of the retina. J Comp Neur 147, 351-378. https://doi.org/10.1002/cne.901470304
- Fujimori Y and Tokai T. 2001. Estimation of gillnet selectivity curve by maximum likelihood method. Fish Sci 67, 644-654. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1444-2906.2001.00301.x
- Hiramatsu K. 1992. A statistical study of fish population dynamics using maximum likelihood method ? parameter estimation and model selection. Bull Natl Inst Far Seas Fish 29, 57-114.
- Jeong EC, Park CD, Park SW, Lee JH and Toaki T. 2000. Size selectivity of trap for male red queen crab Chionoecetes japonicus with the extended SELECT model. Fish Sci 66, 494-501. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1444-2906.2000.00079.x
- Kim DH, An HC, Lee KH and Hwang JW. 2007. Fishing capacity assessment of the octopus coastal trap fishery using data envelopment analysis (DEA). J Kor Soc Fish Tech 43, 339-346. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.4.339
- Kim DS and Kim JM. 2006. Sexual maturity and growth characteristics of Octopus minor. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 39, 410-418. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2006.39.5.410
- MIFFA. 2012. Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries statistical yearbook. MIFFA, 298-335.
- Millar RB. 1992. Estimating the size-selectivity of fishing gear by conditioning on the total catch. J Am Stat Assoc 87, 962-968. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1992.10476250
- Millar RB and Walsh SJ. 1992. Analysis of trawl selectivity studies with an application to trouser trawls. Fish Res 13, 205-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7836(92)90077-7
- Park SW, Kim HY and Cho SK. 2006. Entering behavior and fishing efficiency of common octopus, Octopus minor to cylindric trap. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 42, 11-18. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2006.42.1.011
- Tokai T and Kitahara T. 1998. Methods of determining the mesh selectivity curve of trawl net. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 64, 597-600. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.64.597
- Well MJ. 1963. The orientation of octopus. Ergeb Biol 26, 40-54.