- Volume 13 Issue 4
Objectives : The purpose of this study was to examine the correlation between the professionalism and job satisfaction of clinical dental hygienists. Methods : The subjects were 310 dental hygienists in private and group practiced dental clinics. A self-reported questionnaire was conducted from December, 2012 to February, 2013. Data were analyzed using SPSS WIN 12.0. Results : Dental hygienists revealed the highest score in a sense of calling (3.41) and the lowest score in professionalism (2.85). They showed the highest score in the relationship with dentists (3.56) and the lowest score in pay (2.83). Highly educated and aged dental hygienists wanted to get more clinical career as professionalist. So there was a very significant positive correlation between professionalism and job satisfaction. Conclusions : Dental hygienists showed job satisfaction. Therefore it is important to develop the linking system of professionalsim and human resources development program.
dental hygienists;job satisfaction;professionalism
- Arthur D. The development of an instrument for measuring the professional self-concept of nurses[Master's thesis]. Australia: Univ. of Newcastle University, 1990.
- Kim KS, Yu MS. A Study of the relation between the professional self-concept and the practice performance as dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2004; 4(3): 111-5.
- Cha IJ. Clinical nurses' professionalism and job satisfaction, organization commitment[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2008.
- Shin YK. The organization acts as a holistic approach. Seoul: Dasan; 1991: 100-628.
- Lee SJ, Han GS. The ethical propensity, professionalism and ethical job behavior of clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2012; 36(3): 238-48.
- Yeon MR. The relationship of professionalism and organizational commitment with intention to change jobs among dental hygienists[Master's thesis]. Gyeonggi: Univ. of Ajou, 2011.
- Lee JY. A study on the influential factors of the dental hygienist's professionalism. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011; 11(6): 573-81.
- Kim CH, Lee HO, Lee SM. Clinical dental hygienist's ethical dilemma and professionalism. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011; 11(4): 345-52.
- Lee JY. Influence of job satisfaction and self-efficacy on professionalism of dental hygienist[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Inje, 2009.
- Yang SK. Relationship of dental hygienist professionalism to curriculum components in each curriculum-related group[Master's thesis]. Gyeonggi: Univ. of Dankook, 2009.
- Hall RH. Professionalism and bureaucratization. Am Social Rev; 1968: 92-104.
- Snizek WE. Hall's professionalism scale: An enpirical reassessment. Am Social Rev; 1972: 109-14.
- Baek HC, Kim YS. Translation and validation of korean version of hall's professionalism inventory. J Korean Nurs Adm Acad Soc 2007; 13(4): 509-15.
- Slavitt DB, Stamps PL, Piedmont EB, Hasse AM. Measurement of work satisfaction among health profession. Nurs Res;1978; 27(2): 112-4.
- Kim JA. On the empirical analysis of employee's job-satisfaction in hospital organizations[Master's thesis]. Gangneung: Univ. of Kangnung, 2003.
- Choo HS. A study on clinical nurses' professionalism and the factors affecting[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2001.
- Kim HG. A study on professionalism and job satisfaction of TV cameramen: With a special focus on TV cameramen belonging to KBS, MBC, SBS artech[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2003.
- The effect influence of job satisfaction on turnover intention in dental hygienists vol.16, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.303
Supported by : 여주대학교