- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Learning Style and Critical Thinking Disposition on Communication Skill in Nursing Students
간호대학생의 학습유형과 비판적 사고성향이 의사소통능력에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2013.02.18
- Accepted : 2013.08.13
- Published : 2013.08.31
Purpose: This study was designed to explore the influencing factors on communication skill of nursing students and to investigate the relationship between learning style, critical thinking disposition and communication skill, Methods: The study sample was composed of 559 nursing students. Data was collected from 1st to 30th, May 2012 used a questionnaire which included Kolb's learning style inventory, critical thinking disposition inventory, communication skill inventory. The SPSS 18.0 Window program was used for descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient, and stepwise multiple regression. Results: Learning styles of subjects were diverging 39.5%, accommodating 32.6%, assimilating 22.7%, and converging 5.2%. The total mean score of critical thinking disposition and communication skill was 3.58 and 3.39 respectively. The score of Critical thinking disposition(t=3.06, p=.002) and Communication skill(t=3.25, p=.002) significantly differed between clinical practice satisfaction. Communication skill was the most significant predictor and accounted for 41.3% of the variance in critical thinking disposition in nursing students. Conclusion: It is important for students to use all four learning styles rather than to rely on one style. There should be more emphasis placed on the development of positive critical thinking disposition and communication skill of nursing students.
Nursing student;Learning;Communication;Critical thinking
- An, G. J. (2011). The relationship between critical thinking disposition and communication skill in nursing students. Journal of Industrial Science Researches, 28(2), 253-258.
- Ahn, Y. H., Kweon, E. K., Choi, E. S., & Gu, E. J. (2011). Effects of competency level in communication on professional competence of public health nurses. Journal of Korea Community Health Nursing Academic Society, 25(2), 233-243.
- Chaung, S. K. (2011). Critical thinking disposition, problem solving ability, and clinical competence in nursing students. The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, 18(1), 71-78.
- Choi, E. Y., & Kim, J. Y. (2007). The relationship of core competencies(problem solving ability, communication ability, self-directed learning ability) to critical thinking. The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, 14(4), 412-419.
- Choi, Y. J., Lee, G. W., Jung, C. W., & Lee, A. R. (2009). The effects of self-disclosure and rational-emotive training on communication ability, stress coping behavior, and self -efficacy of nursing students. Journal Korean Academic Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, 18(2), 186-196.
- Choi, S. J., Kwon, M. S., Kim, S. H., Kim, H. M., Jung, Y. S., & Jo. G. Y. (2013). Effects of using standardized patients on nursing competence, communication skills, and learning satisfaction in health assessment. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 19(1), 97-105. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.1.97
- Chun, H. K. (2002). The relationship between learning styles and majors of college students. Unpublished paper of masters degree. Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Gurpinar, E., Alimoglu, M. K., Mamakli, S., & Aktekin, M. (2010). Can learning style predict student satisfaction with different instruction methods and academic achievement in medical education? Advances in Physiology Education, 34(4), 192-196. https://doi.org/10.1152/advan.00075.2010
- Ha, J. Y. (2011). Learning style, learning attitude, and self-directed learning ability in nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 17(3). 357-366. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.3.355
- Hur, G. H. (2003). Construction and validation of a global interpersonal communication competence scale. Korean Society for Journalism & Communication Studies, 47(6), 380-408.
- Kim, B. H. (2009). The analysis of critical thinking dispositions and learning styles among major in advertising and PR Students. Advertising Research, 82, 35-62.
- Kim, E. J., Lim, J. Y., & Choi, K. W. (2008). The correlations between critical thinking disposition and decision making styles. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 14(2), 144-149.
- Kim, K. H. & Kim, G. D. (2007). The relationship between critical thinking disposition and self-efficacy of college nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 13(2), 229-236.
- Kolb, D. A. (1985). Learning -style inventory. Boston: McBer & Company.
- Kwon, M. S. (2011). The influence of self-directed learning & critical thinking disposition on clinical competence in nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 17(3), 389-396.
- Lee, M. H., Kim, H. K., Jeong, S. H., & Moon, I. O. (2011). Effects of task performance style in nursing management practicum on problem-solving and nursing competency according to communication ability of nursing students. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 17(1), 106-114. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.1.106
- Lim, S. Y., Lee, B. C., Choi, H. S., Ahn, M. S., & Lee, W. I. (2012). Practical engineering teaching method : development of the Kolb LSI 3.1 Korean Version. The Journal of Korean Institute for Practical Engineering Education, 4(1), 30-43.
- Markham, C. & Dean, T. (2006). Parents and professional's perceptions of quality of life children with speech and language difficulty. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders, 41(2), 189-212. https://doi.org/10.1080/13682820500221485
- Massey, M. G., Kim, S. H., & Mitchell, C. (2011). A study of the learning styles of undergraduate social work students. Journal of Evidence-Based Social Work, 8(3), 294-303. https://doi.org/10.1080/15433714.2011.557977
- Papa, M. J. (1989). Communicator competence and employee performance with new technology : A case study. The Southern Communication Journal, 55(1). 87-101. https://doi.org/10.1080/10417948909372779
- Park, J. W, & Choi, M. S. (2009). A study on self consciousness, communication competence, and interpersonal relation dispositions of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 18(3), 351-360.
- Park, S. M., & Kwon, I. G. (2007). Factors influencing nurses' clinical decision making - focusing on critical thinking disposition -. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 37(6), 863-871. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.6.863
- Rubin (1990). A longitudinal study of college students' Communication competence. Communication Education, 39(1), 1-14.
- Shin, K. R. (1996). A study of critical thinking ability of associate and baccalaurate degree nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 26(1), 43-52.
- Shin, K. R., Ha, J. Y., & Kim, K. H. (2005). A longitudinal study of critical thinking dispositions & critical thinking skills in baccalaureate nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 35(2), 382-389. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.2.382
- Suliman, W. A. (2010). The relationship between learning style, emotional social intelligence, and academic success of undergraduate nursing students. Journal of Nursing Research, 18(2), 136-143. https://doi.org/10.1097/JNR.0b013e3181dda797
- Yang, S. H, Ha, E. H., Lee, O. C., Sim, I. O., Park, Y.M., Nam, H. N., & Kim, J. S.(2012). Academic achievement, self-directed learning, and critical thinking disposition according to learning styles of nursing students. The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, 19(3), 334-342, https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.3.334
- Yang, S. H, Lee, O. C., Lee, W. S., Yoon, J., Park, C. S., & Lee, S. J. (2009). Critical disposition and clinical competency in 3 nursing colleges with different education methods. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 15(2), 149-158. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.2.149
- Yoon, J. (2004). Development of an instrument for the measurement of critical thinking disposition : In Nursing. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, The Catholic University, Seoul.
- Yoon, J. (2008). A study on the critical thinking disposition of nursing students : Focusing on a school applying integrated nursing curriculum. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 14(2), 159-166.
- The Relationship among Self-esteem, Empathy, Communication Skill and Clinical Competency of Nursing Students vol.16, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7698
- The Influence of Academic Self-efficacy, and Critical Thinking Disposition on Problem Solving Ability of Nursing Students vol.17, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.9.589
- Effectiveness of an Emergent Care Management Simulation Education among Senior Nursing Students According to Learning Styles vol.14, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.03.314
- A Study on Interpersonal Relation Disposition, Critical Thinking Disposition, and Communication Competence in Undergraduate Students in Nursing vol.24, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2015.24.1.22
- Study on Self-efficacy, Communication competency, Critical thinking disposition and Clinical performance ability of nursing students vol.17, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.6.609
- Correlations Among Nursing Professionalism, Critical Thinking Disposition and Self-leadership in Nursing Students vol.21, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.2.227
- Ego Resilience, Communication Ability and Problem-Solving Ability in Nursing Students vol.19, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.571
- The Effects of Learning Styles and Nursing Professional Attitude on Problem-Solving Ability among Nursing Students vol.22, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.462
- The Effects of Critical Thinking Disposition and Self-esteem to Self-leadership of Nursing Student vol.10, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2016.10.1.155
- The Effects of Emotional Intelligence on the Career Decision-Making Self-Efficacy and Career Decision Levels of the Nursing Students vol.17, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.9.628
- Interpersonal Communication Competence and Social Anxiety in Nursing Students vol.21, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.4.518
- Study on Predictors of Academic Resilience in Nursing Students vol.15, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1615
- The Relationship of Communication Competence, Professional Self-Concept and Stress in Clinical Practice of Nursing Students vol.22, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.452
- Relationship of Critical Thinking Disposition, Self-esteem and Job-seeking Stress of Nursing Students vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1109