- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Knowledge regarding Advance Directives among Community-dwelling Elderly
지역사회 거주 노인의 임종기 치료, 연명치료, 사전의료의향서에 대한 지식
- Received : 2013.06.06
- Accepted : 2013.07.18
- Published : 2013.08.31
Purpose: This study was performed to identify the level of Korean elderly's knowledge regarding concepts of end-of-life (EOL), Life-sustaining-treatment (LST), and advance directives (AD) which are critical aspects for establishing AD in Korean society. Methods: A questionnaire survey was done between October 2011 and February 2012. Knowledge of AD was evaluated with 3 aspects including EOL, LST, and AD utilizing a questionnaire that was developed by authors for the study. Data were collected from 268 community dwelling elderly from three cities and analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-tests, one-way analysis of variance, and a Scheffe post hoc test with SAS Ver. 9.1 program. Results: Overall, Korean elderly were poorly acquainted with AD related concepts. Significant differences in awareness of AD including understanding of EOL, the level of comprehension of LST, and knowledge about AD were revealed by gender, education level, economic state, and acquaintance with terms of AD or LST. Conclusion: To acknowledge autonomy and support quality of life for elderly and to meet the purpose of AD, attention should be given to target populations including elderly in terms of knowledge level related to AD, social marketing, and infra structure relevant to practice AD in our society.
Advance directives;End-of-life;Life-sustaining treatment;Aged
- Haisfield, M. E., McGuire, D. B., Krumm, S., Shore, A, D., Zabora, J., & Rubin, H. R. (1994). Patients' healthcare providers' opinions regarding advance directives. Oncology Nursing Forum, 21(7), 1179-1187.
- Hong, S. W., & Son, H. M. (2007). Family caregivers' experiences utilizing a nursing home for their elderly family members. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 37(5), 724-735. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.5.724
- Hong, S., Kim, S., Park, K. O., & Koh, S. (2012). Awareness of Advance Directives Among Korean Nurses. Holistic Nursing Practice, 26(5), 277–282. https://doi.org/10.1097/HNP.0b013e31826406ab
- Choi, J. S. (2010). Preparing for death really is not in the bucket list. Won-Buddhist Thought & Religious Culture, 46, 1-31.
- Hahn, M. E. (2003). Advance directives and patient-physician communication. The Journal of the American Medical Association, 289(1), 96. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.289.1.96
- Jackson, J. M., Rolnick, S. J., Asche, S. E., & Heinrich, R. L. (2009). Knowledge, attitudes, and preference regarding advance directives among patients of a managed care organization. The American Journal of Managed Care, 15(3), 177-186.
- Jang, S. J., & Lee, K. J. (2005), Information seeking by elders and their demands for participation in decision-making regarding treatment of disease, Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 7(1), 54-62.
- Kim, S. M. (2010, December). Ethical issues in geriatric nursing. Paper presented at the fall conference of the Korean Gerontological Nursing, Seoul.
- Kim, S. M., Hong, S. W., Eun, Y., & Koh, S. J. (2012). Prerequisite for Korean advance directives: From the view of healthcare providers, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 42(4), 486-495. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.4.486
- Kim, S. M., Hong, Y. S., Hong, S. W., Kim, J. S., & Kim, K. S. (2013). Development of a Korean version of an Advance Directive Model via cognitive interview. Korean Journal of Hospice Palliative Care, 16(1), 20-32. https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2013.16.1.020
- Ko, E., & Lee, J. (2009). End of life communication: Ethnic differences between Korean American and non-Hispanic White older adults. Journal of Aging and Health, 21(7), 967-984. https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264309344179
- Kwon, I., & Bae, H. A. (2011). A narrative analysis of ethical issues regarding end of life care decision, Korean Journal Medical Ethics, 14(2), 157-170.
- Lee, M. J. (June, 4, 2012). Withdrawl of life-sustaining -treatment and advance directives. Digital Bosa, Retrieved August 25, 2012, from http://www.bosa.co.kr/umap/board_ view.asp?board_pk=36927&what_board=61
- Lee, S. B., & Lee, W. S. (2010). A study on a patient's self-determination right and advance directive in withdrawal of life sustaining treatment. Korean Institute of Criminology. Retrieved January 31, 2013 from http://www. kic.re.kr/english/publications/publication_tb_view.asp?Gubun= Proj&idx=516
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2008). Total reform of cancer management law (proposal). Retrieved July 29, 2012 from http://www.mw.go.kr/front_new/al/sal0301vw.jsp? PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&CONT_SEQ=45673 &page=1
- National Evidence-based Healthcare Collaborating Agency. (2009). Social consensus for stopping meaningless end-of-life treatments. Retrieved July 29, 2012 from http://www.neca. re.kr/ktic/publication/disease_view.jsp?runMode=boardView&s eq=4&t
- Pearlman, R. A., Cole, W. G., Patrick, D. L., Starks, H. E., & Cain, K. C. (1995). Advance care planning: Eliciting patient preferences for life-sustaining treatment. Patient Education and Counseling, 26(1-3), 353-361. https://doi.org/10.1016/0738-3991(95)00739-M
- Porensky, E. K., & Carpenter, B. D. (2008). Knowledge and perception in advance care planning. Journal of Aging and Health, 20(1), 89-106. https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264307309963
- Sabatino, C. P. (2007). Advance directives and advance care planning: Legal and policy issues. US Department of Health and Human Services Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation Office of Disability. Aging and Long-Term Care Policy. Retrieved January 31, 2013 from http://aspe.hhs.gov/daltcp/reports/2007/adacplpi.pdf
- Schonwetter, R. S., Walker, R. M., Kramer, D. R., & Robinson, B. E. (1994). Resuscitation decision making in the elderly: The value of outcome data. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 8(6), 295-300.
- Supreme Court. (2009, May 21). A sentence 2009 Da 17417 court's ruling from the full panel of judges [Withdrawal of meaningless life-sustaining-treatment] [Kong 2009 Sang, 849] Retrieved November 11, 2011, from http://glaw.scourt. go.kr/jbsonw/jbson.do
- The Asian Institute for Bioethics and Health Law. (2009). Final report for establishing international principles for advance directives. Retrieved January 20, 2011, from http://www.prism.go.kr/homepage/researchCommon/retrieveRe searchDetailPopup.do?research_id=1351000-200900134
- Thomas, K. (2010). Chapter 1. Overview and introduction to advance care planning. In K. Thomas & B. Lobo (Ed.), Advance care planning in end of life care. Oxford University Press.
- Ting, F. H., & Mok, E. (2011). Advance directives and life-sustaining treatment: Attitudes of Hong Kong Chinese elders with chronic disease. Hong Kong Medical Journal, 17(2), 105-111.
- Yang, S. H. (2002). A study to identify the attributes of nursing homes for elderly in Korea. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Yu, S. J. & Chai, Y. R. (2010). Preference for advance directives and end of life care among Korean elders with chronic disease. Poster session presented at the international symposium of the Federation of Korean Gerontological Societies. Seoul.
- Yun, Y. H. (2009). Hospice-palliative care and social strategies for improvement of the quality of end-of life. Journal of Korean Medical Association, 52(9), 880-885. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2009.52.9.880
- Yun, Y. H., Lee, M. K., Chang, Y. J., You, C. H., Kim, S., Choi, J. S., Lim, H. Y., Lee, C. G., Choi, Y. S., Hong, Y. S., Kim, S. Y., Heo, D. S., & Jeong, H. S. (2010). The life-sustaining treatments among cancer patients at end of life and the caregiver's experience and perspectives. Supportive Care in Cancer. 18(2) 189-196. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-009-0644-0
- A Study of Social Workers' Understanding of Elderly Patients' and Family Caregivers' Rights to End-of-Life Care Decisions and of Their Own Roles in the Process vol.18, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2015.18.1.42
- Feasibility Evaluation of Korean Advance Directives (K-AD) vol.20, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.639
- The Effects of South Korean Social Workers' Professional Resources on their Understanding of a Patient's Right to End-of-Life Care Decisions in Long-term Care Facilities vol.10, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/aswp.12090
- End-of-life care decisions using a Korean advance directive among cancer patient–caregiver dyads vol.15, pp.01, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1478951516000808
- The Perceptions and Needs of Hospice Palliative Care and Shared Decision Making among Middle-Aged Adults vol.19, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2016.19.4.310
- Ethical Attitudes, Perceptions of DNR and Advance Directives of General Population vol.23, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2014.23.2.113
- The Evaluation of the Korean Advance Directives (K-AD) vol.19, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2016.19.2.109
- The Relationships between Knowledge on Advance Directive, Attitudes towards the Withdrawal of Life-sustaining Treatment and Quality of Life in Hemodialysis Patients vol.28, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2017.28.3.291
- Recognition of Patients, Families, Nurses, and Physicians about Clinical Decision-making and Biomedical Ethics vol.14, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2014.14.1.23
Supported by : 대전대학교