- Volume 26 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Determination of capsaicinoids in red pepper powder using ultra high performance liquid chromatography
초고속 액체크로마토그래피를 이용한 고춧가루의 capsaicinoids 분석
- Namgung, Bae (Food Analysis Center, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Yunyeol (Food Analysis Center, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Ha, Jaeho (Food Analysis Center, Korea Food Research Institute)
- Received : 2013.06.04
- Accepted : 2013.07.29
- Published : 2013.08.25
The efficiency of the two extractions (refluxing extraction and heating-block extraction) was compared to develop the simple analytical method for the determination of capsaicinoids, including capsaicin and dihydrocapsaicin in red pepper powder. For the method development, the parameters, including particle size, extraction time and sample size, were evaluated using ultra high performance liquid chromatography (u-HPLC). It was found that the most effective extraction time of the refluxing extraction was 3 hr. The higher extraction efficiency was obtained with the fine particle of a mild red pepper powder, while the particle size did not affect the extraction efficiency in case of the hot red pepper powder. The higher extraction efficiency was obtained with the small size of sample taken because of the ratio of the large extracting solvent to sample amount. The extraction efficiency of the refluxing method was 3-9% higher than that of the heating-block method, however, the heating-block method could be applied to the determination of capsaicinoids in the red pepper powder for the purpose of quality control of the product.
u-HPLC;red pepper powder;capsaicinoids;refluxing extraction;heating-block method
- E. J. Jeong, B. H. Bang and K. P. Kim, Korean J. Food & Nutr, 18(1), 88-93 (2005).
- Y. Lim, Y. Kyung, H. S. Jeong, H. Y. Kim, I. G. Hwang, S. M. Yoo and J. Lee, J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr, 41(9), 1315-1319 (2012). https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.9.1315
- J. Y. Chai, M. S. Kim, I. K. Han, S. Y. Lee and I. H. Yeo, Anal. Sci. Technol., 7(4), 541-545 (1994).
- J. O. Yu, W. S. Choi and U. S. Lee, Food Engineering Progress, 13(1), 38-43 (2009).
- K. H. Ku, E. J. Choi and J. B Park, J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr, 37(8), 1084-1089 (2008). https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.8.1084
- H. H. Shin and S. R. Lee, Korean J. Food Sci. Technol., 23(3), 296-300 (1991).
- K. M. Chung and J. M. Hwang, Korean J. Food Sci. Technol., 34(5), 919-923 (2002).
- S. H. Oh, I. G. Hwang, H. Y. Kim, C. R. Hwang, S. M. Park, Y. Hwang, S. M. Yoo, H. R. Kim, H. Y. Kim, J. Lee and H. S. Jeong, J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr, 40(5), 725-730 (2011). https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.5.725
- J. M. Jung and S. T. Kang, Korean J. Food Sci. Technol., 32(1), 42-49 (2000).
- H. Ham, M. Sung, Y. Kim, Y. Choi, H. S. Jeong and J. Lee, J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr, 41(6), 870-874 (2012). https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.6.870
- J. Y. Mang, Y. G. Lee, S. J. Lee, J. A. Jung, S. H. Na, C. W. Kim and H. J. Sim, Soonchunhyang J. Nat.Sci. 16(2), 127-133 (2010).
- S. H. Choi, J Eeat Asin Soc Dietary Life, 16(5), 585-591 (2006).
- W. Hawer, J. Ha, J. Hwang and Y. Nam, Food Chem., 49, 99-103 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(94)90239-9
- J. H. HA, K. J. Han, K. J. Kim and S. W. Jeong, J. AOAC Int., 91(2), 387-391 (2008).
- Official Method of Analysis of AOAC Intl. 18th ed. Method 995. 03. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Gaithersburg, MD, USA (2005).
- G. F. Barbero, A. Liazid, M. Palma and C. G. Barroso, Food Chem., 107, 1276-1282 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.06.065
- A. P. Alvarez, E. R. Maya and L. A. A. Suarez, J. Chromatogr., A, 1216, 2843-2847 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2008.10.053
- N. Kozukue, J. S. Han, E. Kozukue, S. J. Lee, J. A. Kim, K. R. Lee, C. E. Levin and M. Friedman, J. Agric. Food Chem., 53, 9172-9181 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1021/jf050469j
- J. Juangsamoot, C. C. Ruangviriyachai, S. Techawongstien and S. Chanthai, Int. Food Res. J., 19(3), 1217-1226 (2012).
- S. Chanthai, J. Juangsamoot, C. Ruangviriyachai and S. Techawongstien, E-J. Chem., 9(3), 1550-1561 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/380574
- V. K. Attuquayefio and K. A. Buckle, J. Agric. Food Chem., 35, 777-779 (1987). https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00077a032
- J. H. Ha, H. Y. Seo, Y. S. Shim, D. W. Seo, H. Seog, M. Ito and H. Nakagawa, Food Sci. Biotechnol., 19(4), 1005-1009 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-010-0141-8
- J. H. Ha, H. Y. Seo, Y. S. Shim, H. J. Nam and H. Seog, J. AOAC Int., 93(6), 1905-1911 (2010).
- Development of Models for the Prediction of Domestic Red Pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) Powder Capsaicinoid Content using Visible and Near-infrared Spectroscopy vol.40, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2015.40.1.047