- Volume 30 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Factors Related to Female Sexual Dysfunction of North Korean Women Defectors
북한이탈주민 여성의 성기능 실태 및 영향요인
- Received : 2013.05.03
- Accepted : 2013.06.26
- Published : 2013.06.30
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the female sexual dysfunction of North Korean defector women and to identify related factors. Methods: A total of 110 North Korean defector women who married and lived in South Korean community more than 1 year participated in this study. A self-report questionnaire was used to obtain data. The dependent variable is the Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI). Independent variables were demographic factors (age, education, residential environment, sexual experience(rape), sex knowledge and sex attitude). Data were analyzed using the SPSS for descriptive statistics, t-test, two-way ANOVA, and Multiple Hierarchical Regression. Results: The mean score of sexual function for North Korean defectors was 18.94(SD:5.88). Sexual functioning for North Korean defector women was relatively low, 18.94 in comparison to Rosen's cutoff scores of 26.6. In multiple regression analysis, the sexual function level was significantly higher in elderly, high educational level, stable residential situation, non rape, and conservative sexual attitudes. Conclusions: The results show the status and description of sexual dysfunction in North Korean Women defectors in South Korean community and can be a basic reference for study about sexual dysfunction. However, more study about North Korea Defector Women with sexual dysfunction should be interviewed and evaluated.
Women;North Korean defector;North Korean refugee;Sexual function;Sexual dysfunction
- Abdo, C., Oliveira, W. M., Moreira, E. D., & Fittipaldi, J. (2004). Prevalence of sexual dysfunctions and correlated conditions in a sample of Brazilian women-results of the Brazilian study on sexual behavior (BSSB). International Journal of Impotence Research, 16(2), 160-166. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijir.3901198
- Ahn, M. Y. (2007). Policy proposals for the promotion and cooperation of South & North Korean healthcare. Seoul, Korea: The National Assembly of the Republic Korea.
- Bae, B. R. (2009). Structural equation modeling with amos 19 : Principles and practice. Seoul, Korea：Cheonglam.
- Bae, J. Y. (2004). A Study on female sexual dysfunction, sexual distress, sexual attitude and knowledge in Korean Women. Journal of Korean Academy of Womens Health Nursing, 10(4), 342-350.
- Bae, J. Y., Min, K. S., & Ahn, S. H. (2007). Construction of an explanatory model of female sexual dysrunction. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 37(7), 1080-1090.
- Carole J., Thomas, M. H., Ann, B., Michael, K. C., John, N. K, Sharon, L. H., & King, K. (1990). Sexually transmitted diseases in victims of rape. The New England Journal of Medicine, 322(11), 713-716. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199003153221101
- Chapman, J. D. (1989). A longitudinal study of sexuality and gynecologic health in abused women. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, 89(5), 619.
- Chang, S. B., & Jeong, S. E. (1995). Pre-post changes of sexual satisfaction and spouse support of women who have had a hysterectomy. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 25(1), 173-186.
- Chang, S. B., Kang, H. S., & Kim, S. N. (1998). The sexual Satisfaction in Married Women. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 28(1), 201-209.
- Cho, Y. J. (2005). How to use 'testimony' in the studies of North Korean Women. Women's Studies Review, 21(1), 37-78.
- Chun, N. M., & Park, Y. S. (2006). Sexual functioning in women with gynecologic cancer. Journal of Korean Academy of Womens Health Nursing, 12(4), 308-315.
- Chun, N. M. (2010). Predictors of sexual desire, arousal, lubrication, orgasm, satisfaction, and pain in women with gynecologic cancer. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 40(1), 24-32. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.1.24
- Courtland, R. (2011, August). North Korean Refugees foundation & International Organization for MigrationInternational. Paper presented at the Conference on the Health of North Korean Migrants, Seoul, Korea.
- Derogatis, L. R.(1997). The Derogatis interview for sexual functioning (DISF/DISF-SR): an introductory report. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy, 23(4), 291-304. https://doi.org/10.1080/00926239708403933
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Buchner, A., & Lang, A. G. (2009). Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behave Research Methods, 41, 1149-60. https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- Han, I. Y., Ku, H. J., & Oh, S. K. (2010). A study on sex knowledge among north Korean female. Journal of Korean Psychology, 15(1), 87-102.
- Jeon, W. T., Yu, S. E., & Lee, Y. W. (2011). The Patterns and formation of national identity among North Korean refugees in South Korea: A grounded theory study. Journal of Unification Policy, 20(2), 1-35.
- Jeon, Y. S. (2011). The Actual condition of counseling for the North Korean Defectors in the local community : Focused on the counselor for the North Korean Defectors, Korean Psychological Association Annual Conference publication.
- Jung, T. Y., & Kim, Y. M. (2004). Effects of North Korea defectors` living experiences in South Korea on their self-perceptions and perceptions of South Korea. Journal of Korean Psychology, 10(2), 61-81.
- Kadri, K. H., Mchichi, A., & Mchakra, S. T. (2002). Sexual dysfunction in women: Population based epidemiological study. Archives of Women's Mental Health, 5(2), 55-63.
- Kang, C. Y. (2005). The stress copying style of the female North Korean refugees in China. Journal of Korean Psychology, 10(1), 61-80.
- Kim, J. H. (2011, August). North Korean Refugees foundation & International Organization for Migration. Paper presented at the International Conference on the Health of North Korean Migrants, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, J. K., Koh, H. J., & Lim, K. H. (2002) A Study on sexual knowledge, attitude and activity according to sexual satisfaction of wife and husband after hysterectomy. Journal of the Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health, 6(1), 71-82. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1015400322761
- Kim, H. E., Jo, Y. R., & Park, H. S.(2007). Association between obesity, abdominal obesity and sexual dysfunction among Korean women. Journal of Korean Society for the Study of Obesity, 16(4), 170-176.
- Kim, H. Y., So, H. S., Park, K. S., Jeong, S. J., Lee, J. Y., & Ryu, S. B. (2002). Development of the Korean-version of Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI). Korean journal of andrology, 20(1), 50-56.
- Kim, H. Y., So, H. S., & Chae, M. J. (2009). Sexual function of breast cancer survivors and healthy women : A comparative study. Asian Oncology Nursing, 9(1), 60-66.
- Kim, H. Y.,& Lee, E. S. (2010). Sexual dysfunction and related factors in married Korean women. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 19(3), 329-338. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2010.19.3.329
- Kim, S. G. (2011, August). North Korean Refugees foundation & International Organization for Migration. Paper presented at the international conference on the health of north Korean migrants, Seoul, Korea.
- Kwon, H. K. (2004). A review of counseling models of sexual abuse and outcome research, The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 16(2), 187-205.
- Laumann, E. O., Paik, A., & Rosen, R. C. (1999). Sexual dysfunction in the United States: Prevalence and predictors. Journal of American Medical Association, 281, 537-544. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.281.6.537
- Lee, K. S. (2006). A study on the social adaptation process of women migrants : Focusing on defecting North Korean residents in South Korea. Journal of Asian Women, 45(1), 191-234.
- Lee, M. S. (1998). Psychological aspect of sexual dysfunction. Korean Journal of Family Medicine, 19(7), 508-514.
- Lee, M. S., Choi, J. H., & Lee, H. S. (1989) The preliminary study of standardization of derogatis sexual functioning inventory. Korean Journal of Clinical psychology, 8(1), 143-158.
- Lee, S. R. (2003). North Korea women defectors's social plan for early adaptation. The National Unification Advisory Council, Women Committee conference materials.
- Lee, Y. P., Kim, S. J., & Jeong, G. H. (2000). Pregnant Women's Attitude and Satisfaction for Sexuality. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 30(5), 1292-1302.
- Leonard, L. M., Iverson, K. M., & Follette, V. M. (2008). Sexual functioning and sexual satisfaction among women who report a history of childhood and/or adolescent sexual abuse. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy, 34, 375-384. https://doi.org/10.1080/00926230802156202
- Lutfey, K. E., Link, C. L., Rosen, R. C., Wiegel, M., & McKinlay, J. B. (2009). Prevalence and correlates of sexual activity and function in women: Results from the Boston area community health (BACH) survey. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 38(4), 514-527. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10508-007-9290-0
- Min, S. K. (2005). Modern Psychiatry. Seoul, Korea: IljoGak.
- Ministry of Unification. (2012). Statistics for North Korean defectors. Retrieved from http://www.unikorea.go.kr/CmsWeb/viewPage.req?idx=PG0000000365.
- Moon, S. J., Kim, J. H., & Lee, M. K. (2000). A study on the motive of escape from the North Korea and the life situation of female fugitives in China: based on the interview with North Korean female refugees in Yenben Province. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 38(5), 137-157.
- Noh, I. S. (2011, August). North Korean Refugees foundation & International Organization for Migration. Paper presented at the international conference on the health of North Korean Migrants, Seoul, Korea.
- Park, H. S., Koo, H. Y., & Won, S. H. (2004). Sexual function and satisfaction with life in women and their predictors. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 13(4), 505-513.
- Park, J. R. (2009). Female saeteomins` childcare and work: The current state and support measures. Journal of hanminjok, 28, 97-135.
- Ponholzer, A., Roehlich, M., Racz, U., Temml, C., & Ladersbacher, S. (2005). Female sexual dysfunction in a health Austrian cohort: Prevalence and risk factors. European Urology, 47(3), 366-374. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2004.10.005
- Rosen, R., Brown, C., Heiman, J., Leiblum, S., Meston, C., & Shabsigh. (2000). The female sexual function index (FSFI): A multidimensional self-report instrument for the assessment of female sexual function. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy, 26, 191-208. https://doi.org/10.1080/009262300278597
- Safarinejad, M. R. (2006). Female sexual dysfunction in a population-based study in Iran: Prevalence and associated risk factors. Internationals Journal of Impotence Research, 18 (4), 382-395. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijir.3901440
- Sgroi, S. M. (1982). A conceptual framework for child sexual abuse: Handbook of clinical intervention in child sexual abuse. Lexington, MA: Lexington books.
- Sohn, Y. S. (2006). Female sexual dysfunction. Korean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 49(10), 2043-2054.
- Song, A. H., Jeon, H., Kim, S. W., Park, J. S., & Son, H. (2008). The prevalence and risk factors of female sexual dysfunction in young Korean women: An internet-based survey. Journal of Sexual Medicine, 5, 1694-1701. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1743-6109.2008.00840.x
- World Health Organization (2002). Report of consultation on sexual health. Geneva, Switzerland: Author.
- Wiegel, H., Meston, C., & Rosen, R. (2005). The female sexual function index(FSFI) : cross-valication and development of clinical cut-off scores, Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy, 31(1), 1-20.
- A mobile video intervention for women’s health of North Korean defectors pp.07371209, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/phn.12550
Supported by : 아산사회복지재단