- Volume 49 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Fishing investigation with trammel nets by mesh size in the Korean deep-water of the East Sea
삼중자망에 의한 동해 심해 수산자원의 망목별 어획특성
- Park, Hae-Hoon (Fisheries Engineering Division, NFRDI)
- 박해훈 (국립수산과학원 수산공학과)
- Received : 2012.08.06
- Accepted : 2013.02.15
- Published : 2013.02.28
The investigation for species composition and catch in the Korean deep-water of the East Sea (also known as Sea of Japan) was carried out with trammel nets of 7 mesh sizes (6.1~24.2cm) offshore Donghae (2006) and Yangyang (2007) of Korea. The catches were 1,268kg and composed of 37 species between 200m and 1,200m in depth. The principal species caught were Taknka's snailfish, salmon snailfish, red snow crab, hunchback sculpin, snow crab, spinyhead sculpin, Tanaka's eelpout, Alaska cod and so on. Those were target fish for commercial value except salmon snailfish. The mesh sizes for the largest catch were 10.6cm and 15.2cm in the fishing ground of Donghae and Yangyang, respectively. The habitat of snow crab was shallower than that of red snow crab in both areas. Trammel net enabled to investigate fish in deep-water with small fishing vessel and rather cheap expenses in contrast to bottom trawl that required too much of it. With increasing inner mesh size of trammel net the mean size of some principal species such as Taknka's snailfish, spinyhead sculpin, hunchback sculpin, Pacific cod, snow crab, red snow crab and hybrid between snow crab and red snow crab tended to be large in certain range of mesh size.
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- Cho YB, Park CD and Lee JH. 2000. A study on the selectivity of the mesh size in trammel net for Cynoglossidae spp. Bull Kor Soc Fish Tech 36, 89-95.
- Elliott N, Skerratt J and Nichols P. 1990. Orange roughy oil proves its worth. Australian Fisheries (Aug.), 32-33.
- Allain V and Lorance P. 2000. Age estimation and growth of some deep-sea fish from the northeast Atlantic Ocean. Cybium, 7-16.
- FAO. 2007. Report and documentation of the expert consultation on deep-sea fisheries in the high sea. FAO Fisheries Report, No. 838. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, p. 203.
- Kim SH and Lee JH. 2002. Mesh selectivity in trammel net for flat fish. Bull Kor Soc Fish Tech 38, 91-100. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2002.38.2.091
- Lee SI, Hwang SJ, Yang JH and Shim JM. 2008. Seasonal variation in Species Composition of Gill Net and Trammel Net Catches in the Coastal Waters off Wangdol-cho, Korea. Korean Journal of Ichthyology 20, 291-302.
- MOMAF (Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries). 2002. Research survey of deep-sea fisheries resources in the southwestern Indian Ocean. p. 260.
- Park HH, Jeong EC, Bae BS, Yang YS, Hwang SJ, Park JH, Kim YS, Lee SI and Choi SH. 2007. Fishing investigation and species composition of the catches caught by a bottom trawl in the deep East Sea. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 43, 183-191. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.3.183
- Park HH, Millar RB, Bae BS, An HC, Chun YY, Yang JH and Yoon SC. 2011. Selectivity of Korean flounder (Glyptocephalus stelleri) by gillnets and trammel nets using an extension of SELECT for experiments with differing mesh sizes. Fish Res 107, 196-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2010.10.020
- Park HH and Bae BS. 2011. Catch and species composition with some different traps by depth in the deep-water of the East Sea. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 47, 300-315. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.4.300
- Ryu JH, Kim PK, Kim JK and Kim HJ. 2005. Seasonal variation of species composition of fishes collectected by gillnet and set net in the middle East Sea of Korea. Kor J Ichthyol 17, 279-286.
- Sohn MH, Lee H, Hong BK and Chun YY. 2010. Seasonal variation of species composition by depths in deep sea ecosystem of the East Sea of Korea. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 46, 376-391. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.4.376
- Turner D and Newton G. 1992. Spawning roughy in the wild west. Australian Fisheries (Nov.), 8-10.
- Yoon SC, Cha HK, Lee SI, Chang DS, Hwang SJ and Yang JH. 2008. variation in specoes composition of demersal organisms caught by trawl survey in the East Sea. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 44, 323-344. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2008.44.4.323
- Species Composition and Community Structure of Demersal Fish Caught by a Danish Seine Fishery in the Coastal Waters of the Middle and Southern East Sea, Korea vol.48, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2015.0529