- Volume 33 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Development of an Automated Freeform Fabrication System and Construction Materials
자동화 적층 시공 시스템 및 재료 개발에 관한 연구
- Jeon, Kwang Hyun (Yonsei University) ;
- Park, Min-Beom (Yonsei University) ;
- Kang, Min-Kyung (Yonsei University) ;
- Kim, Jung-Hoon (Yonsei University)
- Received : 2012.09.20
- Accepted : 2013.05.02
- Published : 2013.07.30
Recently, the interest and demand on free formed structure providing aesthetic value as well as functionality has been increasing. Formwork has numerous advantages such as high strength, convenience, accuracy and good quality of surface roughness. Nevertheless, it increases construction cost and period to build complex shapes. For these purpose, deposition construction systems such as Contour Crafting and Concrete Printing have been developed with active collaboration between university and industry by applying the rapid prototyping technology to the construction industry in USA and England. Since there has been no related research in Korea, the possibility of spin-off technology and its fusion cannot be expected. In this paper, design elements including mechanical system and control system related to automatic deposition construction system prototype for constructing a free curved structure without mold are described. As for an appropriate material for the system, fiber reinforced mortar was selected by experiments on compressive strength, fluidity, viscosity and setting time. By performing transfer and extrusion experiments, the possibility of the development of deposition construction system was demonstrated. Based on this research results, it is required to keep the automatic deposition construction system improve and extend it into the new application area in construction industry.
Automatic deposition construction system;Fiber reinforced mortar;Automation in construction;Robot system;Rapid prototype
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Lee, J.-H., Ok, C.-E., Choi, H.-S. and Kim, Y.-S. (2010). "A development priority and technology roadmap for construction automation." Journal of the Architectural Instritute of Korea, Vol. 26, No. 10, pp. 131-140 (in Korean).
- Kim, Y.-S., Seo, J.-W., Lee, J. and Kim, S.-K. (2008). "A study on the development of technology roadmap for construction automation." Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 28, No. 4D, pp. 493-504 (in Korean).
- Hwang, D. and Khoshnevis, B. (2004). "Concrete wall fabrication by contour crafting." Proc. of 21st International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, ISARC, Republic of Korea.
- Khoshnevis, B., Hwang, D., Yao, K. and Yeh, Z. (2006). "Mega-scale fabrication by contour crafting." Industrial and Systems Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 301-320. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJISE.2006.009791
- Hwang, D. and Khoshnevis, B. (2005). "An innovative construction process-contour crafting (CC)." Proc. of 22nd International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, ISARC, Italy, pp. 1-6.
- Khoshnevis, B., Bussell, R., Kwon, H. and Bukkapatnam, S. (2001). "Crafting large prototypes." IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, Vol. 8, pp. 33-42.
- Lim, S., Buswell, R., Le, T., Wackrow, R. and Austin, S. (2010). "Development of a viable concrete printing process." Proc. of 28th International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, Slovakia, pp. 665-670.
- Lim, S., Buswell, R., Le, T., Austin, S., Gibb, A. and Thorpe, T. (2011). "Developments in construction-scale additive manufacturing processes." Automation in Construction, Vol. 21, pp. 262-268.
- Le, T., Austin, S., Lim, S., Buswell, R., Gibb, A. and Thorpe, T. (2011). "High-performance printing concrete for freeform building components." Fib Symposium, Prague, pp. 499-502.