- Volume 13 Issue 2
In this paper, we describe a vision sensor-based driving algorithm for indoor automatic guided vehicles (AGVs) that facilitates a path tracking task using two mono cameras for navigation. One camera is mounted on vehicle to observe the environment and to detect markers in front of the vehicle. The other camera is attached so the view is perpendicular to the floor, which compensates for the distance between the wheels and markers. The angle and distance from the center of the two wheels to the center of marker are also obtained using these two cameras. We propose five movement patterns for AGVs to guarantee smooth performance during path tracking: starting, moving straight, pre-turning, left/right turning, and stopping. This driving algorithm based on two vision sensors gives greater flexibility to AGVs, including easy layout change, autonomy, and even economy. The algorithm was validated in an experiment using a two-wheeled mobile robot.
Automatic guided vehicle;Marker;Path following control;Vision sensor
- Y. J. Lee and Y. J. Ryoo, "Navigation of unmanned vehicle using relative localization and magnetic guidance," Journal of Korean Institute of Intelligent Systems, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 430-435, Aug. 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2011.21.4.430 https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2011.21.4.430
- G. Alenya, J. Escoda, A. B.Martinez, and C. Torras, "Using laser and vision to locate a robot in an industrial environment: a practical experience," in Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE International Conference on Robotics
- M. Lee, J. Han, C. Jang, and M. Sunwoo, "Information fusion of cameras and laser radars for perception systems of autonomous vehicles," Journal of Korean Institute of Intelligent Systems, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 35-45, Feb. 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2013.23.1.35 https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2013.23.1.35
- G. N. Desouza and A. C. Kak, "Vision for mobile robot navigation: a survey," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 237-267, Feb. 2002. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/34.982903 https://doi.org/10.1109/34.982903
- S. Badal, S. Ravela, B. Draper, and A. Hanson, "A practical obstacle detection and avoidance system," in Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE Workshop on Applications of Computer Vision, Sarasota, FL, 1994, pp. 97-104. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ACV.1994.341294 https://doi.org/10.1109/ACV.1994.341294
- H. I. Christensen, N. O. Kirkeby, S. Kristensen, L. Knudsen, and E. Granum, "Model-driven vision for in-door navigation," Robotics and Autonomous Systems, vol. 12, n. 2-3, pp. 199-207, Apr. 1994. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0921-8890(94)90026-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-8890(94)90026-4
- N. X. Dao, B. J. You, and S. R. Oh, "Visual navigation for indoor mobile robots using a single camera," in Proceedings of 2005 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Edmonton, AB, pp. 1992-1997, 2005. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/IROS.2005.1545494 https://doi.org/10.1109/IROS.2005.1545494
- J. Park, W. Rasheed, and J. Beak, "Robot navigation using camera by identifying arrow signs," in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Grid and Pervasive Computing Workshops, Kunming, 2008, pp. 382-386. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/GPC.WORKSHOPS.2008.41 https://doi.org/10.1109/GPC.WORKSHOPS.2008.41
- H. Hu and D. Gu, "Landmark-based navigation of industrial mobile robots," International Journal of Industrial Robot, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 458-467, 2000. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/01439910010378879 https://doi.org/10.1108/01439910010378879
- M. T. Chao, T. Braunl, and A. Zaknich, "Visually-guided obstacle avoidance," in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Neural Information Processing, Perth, WA, 1999, pp. 650-655. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICONIP.1999.845672 https://doi.org/10.1109/ICONIP.1999.845672
- J. W. Lee, S. U. Choi, C. H. Lee ,Y. J. Lee, and K. S. Lee, "A study for AGV steering control and identification using vision system," in Proceedings of 2001 IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Pusan, 2011, pp. 1575-1578. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ISIE.2001.931941 https://doi.org/10.1109/ISIE.2001.931941
- J. T. Cho and B. H. Nam, "A study on the fuzzy control navigation and the obstacle avoidance of mobile robot using camera," in Proceedings of 2000 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Nashville, TN, 2000, pp. 2993-2997. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICSMC.2000.884456 https://doi.org/10.1109/ICSMC.2000.884456
- T. S. Jin, K. Morioka, and H. Hashimoto, "Appearance based object identification for mobile robot localization in intelligent space with distributed vision sensors," International Journal of Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Systems, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 165-171, Sep. 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.5391/IJFIS.2004.4.2.165 https://doi.org/10.5391/IJFIS.2004.4.2.165
- W. H. Lee, H. W. Lee, S. H. Kim, J. Y. Jung, and T. J. Roh, "Moving path following and high speed precision control of autonomous mobile robot using fuzzy," Journal of Korean Institute of Intelligent Systems, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 907-913. Dec. 2004. http://dx.doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2004.14.7.907 https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2004.14.7.907
- D. H. Min, K. W. Jung, K. Y. Kwon, and J. Y. Park, "Application of recent approximate dynamic programming methods for navigation problems," Journal of Korean Institute of Intelligent Systems, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 737-742. Dec. 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2011.21.6.737 https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2011.21.6.737
- D. Chapman, Teach Yourself Visual C++ 6 in 21 Days, Indianapolis: Sams, 1998.
- R. C. Gonzalez and R. E. Woods, Digital Image Processing, 3rd ed., Harlow: Prentice Hall, 2007.
- R. Szeliski, Computer Vision: Algorithms and Applications, New York: Springer, 2010.
- G. A. Baxes, Digital Image Processing: Principles and Applications, 1st ed., New York : Wiley, 1994.
- Analysis of Indoor Robot Localization Using Ultrasonic Sensors vol.14, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5391/IJFIS.2014.14.1.41
- Design of Simple-Structured Fuzzy Logic Systems for Segway-Type Mobile Robot vol.15, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5391/IJFIS.2015.15.4.232
- Design of Vectored Sum-Based Fuzzy Logic Control System and Its Application to Segway-Type Mobile Robot vol.14, pp.02, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219843617500037