- Volume 38 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Change of Dose Exposure and Improvement of Image Quality by Additional Filtration in Mammography
유방촬영용장치 부가필터에 따른 선량변화 및 화질개선
- Cho, Woo Il (Department of Medical Physics, Kyonggi University) ;
- Kim, Young Kuen (Department of Radiotechnology Kwang-ju Health Collige) ;
- Lee, Gil Dong (Department of Electron Physics, Kyonggi University)
- Received : 2013.04.18
- Accepted : 2013.05.29
- Published : 2013.06.30
Recently, the interest on exposure to radiation is rising. The radiation exposure of mammography is higher in absorbed dose than of X-ray, therefore unnecessary exposure needs to be reduced, and higher image quality is needed. Generally, ray quality of the radiation imaging is an important factor that determines image quality and the amount of ray exposure, and they are affected by tube voltage and added filter. The X-ray energy that is exposed from mammography device is generally a continuous spectrum, which includes low energy that has minute influence on the image quality, and high energy that hinders contrast on image. Currently, molybdenum (Mo) and rhodium (Rh) are the most used added filters for mammography device, and they are used differently according to the energy region of X-ray. This study aims to find out the degree of reduction in exposure dose according to the thickness of aluminum (Al), and to study the changes in image quality and dose when the added filter plates that are made with niobium (Nb) or zirconium (Zr) are used, other than molybdenum (Mo) and rhodium (Rh), the two most used added filters that have similar atomic number and K-absorption regions as Nb and Zr. In this study, single-added filters of molybdenum (Mo), niobium (Nb), and zirconium (Zr) are used, and in some cases, Aluminum (Al) is combined with the single filters. In this case, image quality is considered to be improved depending on the type of added filters, and by using Aluminum (Al) filter together with the others, unnecessary X-ray of low energy would be absorbed, therefore the dose is expected to decrease without any influence when the concentration level becomes identical.
- 대학서림, 진단방사선의 원리(2000)
- 김영근. X선 진단영역에서 중원소(Ho) 여과판 사용에 따른 피폭선량 감소와 대조도 개선에 관한 연구. 대한 방사선기술 학회지. 2000;23(1):91-96.
- 허준. 유방암 검진의 맘모그래피. Image Research. 1998;6(3).
- 한국표준과학연구원. Mammography X선 선량평가. 2005.
- 신귀순, 최종학, 김유현, 김정민, 김창균, 양정화. Patient Dose in Mammography. 방사선기술과학. 2005;28(4):293-299.
- Calicchia A, Gambaccin M, Indovina PL, Mazzei F, Pugliani L. Niobium/molybdenum K-edge filtration in mammography: contrast and dose evaluation. Phys. Med. Biol. 1996;41(9):1717-1726.
- Nazionale C. Effect of filtration and kVp on the energy spectrum of a mammographic X-ray beam. 1993.
- Atkins HL, Fairchild RG, Robertson JS, Greenberg D. Effect of absorption edge filters on diagnostic x-ray spectra. Radiology. 1975;115(2):431-437. https://doi.org/10.1148/115.2.431
- 허준, 김창균, 강홍석, 이인자. 각종 X선 흡수체에 관한 실험. 방사선기술과학. 1986;9(1):125-129.
- 김영근, 이경섭. 진단방사선영역에서 중원소 여과판의 물리적 특성. 대한전기학회 학술대회 논문집. 1999;7:1977-1979.
- The Evaluation of Space Dose Distribution for Digital Mammography Equipment vol.9, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2015.9.1.61
- A Convergence Study on Evaluation of Usefulness of Copper Additional Filter in the Digital Radiography System vol.13, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.351
- Dose Evaluation Using Mathematical Simulation of Radiation Exposure Body in Mammography System vol.8, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2014.8.4.155
- A Analysis of Effectiveness of Aluminium Filter in the added Compound Filtration by Detective Quantum Efficiency and Image Quality Evaluation vol.15, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.10.362