- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Interpersonal Relationship Training Program Based on Emotional Intelligence in Nursing College Students
감성지능을 중심으로한 간호대학신입생의 대인관계 훈련프로그램의 효과
- Oh, Hyun Su (College of Nursing Science, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Kim, Hyeon-Young (College of Nursing Science, Kyung Hee University)
- Received : 2013.03.06
- Accepted : 2013.05.21
- Published : 2013.05.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to identify the effects of the interpersonal relationship training program based on emotional intelligence on interpersonal relationship, emotional intelligence, and self-esteem of nursing students. Methods: The study adopted a quasi-experimental study with a nonequivalent control group pre-post test. Total participants were 89 nursing students of S and K Universities. They were divided into the control (39 students) and experimental group (50 students). Participants went through the emotional intelligence program 100min which consisted of 100 minutes per session, once a week for total of 8 session from March 3th to April 21th, 2011. The contents were composed with interpersonal relationship training program to promote positive formation of emotional intelligence, interpersonal relationship, and self-esteem. All data were analyzed by SPSS 18.0 program. Results: The experimental group showed a significant increase of emotional intelligence (t=-3.17, p=.002) and interpersonal relationship (t=-3.07, p=.003). Conclusion: The interpersonal relationship training program based on emotional intelligence was effective in improving emotional intelligence and interpersonal relationship.
- Adams, G. R., & Fitch, S. A. (1982). Ego stage and identity status development: A cross-sequential analysis. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 43, 574-583. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.524
- Chae, H. C., Kim, Y. J., & Jong, K. Y. (2005). The effect of emotional intelligence improvement program for the early adolescents. Journal of Rehabilitation Psychology, 12(1), 47-85.
- Chang, J. J., & Kim, J. M. (2011). The effect of emotional awareness based expression training on emotional awareness, emotional expression, suppression of emotional expression and interpersonal relationship. Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 23(4), 861-884.
- Cho, H. K. (2000). The Effects of interpersonal relations development group counseling program based on object relations theory. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- Choi, J. H. (2009). Effects of emotional intelligence and ego-resilience on adjustment to college life. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed). New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Goleman, D. (1995). Emotional intelligence. New York: Bantom Books.
- Jeon, B. J. (1974). Self-esteem: A test of its measurability. Yonsei Nochong, 11, 107-129.
- Ju, J. S. (2006). The effects of the communication training program for university students' communication and human relationships. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungpook National University, Daegu.
- Kang, E. S., Cho, H. S., & Kang, Y. H. (2002). Effects of the group interpersonal training program of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy Psychiatry Mental Health Nursing, 11(4), 419-429.
- Kim, H. S. (2001). The effects of the career group counseling program based on REBT on the self-efficacy, interpersonal relations ability, career attitude scale, and disision making patterns of college students. Unpublished doctor's thesis, Konkuk University, Seoul.
- Kim, J. Y. (2007). The influences of emotional intelligence and ego-resilience on interpersonal problems in undergraduate students. Unpublished master's thesis, Chonbuk National University, Chonbuk.
- Kim, K. J., & Lee, J. H. (1999). The effects of the group counseling for the improvements of interpersonal relations of college students. Seowon University of Education, 17, 17-37.
- Kim, S. H. (2007). The theory and practice of self-assertiveness training for a self-development. Seoul: Hackjisa.
- Kim, S. K. (2003). The effect of a cognitive behavioral group program for improving interpersonal relationships. Journal of Adolescent Welfare, 5(2), 71-84.
- Lee, K. S., Lee, M. K., & Kim, K. H. (2006). Human Relation and Communication. Seoul: Hyunmoonsa.
- Lee, M. S., & Chae, P. K. (2012). The mediating effects of emotion regulation strategies on the relationship between self-esteem and interpersonal relationship abilities. Cognitive Behavior Therapy in Korea, 12(1), 63-75.
- Lee, S. K. (2007). The effect of group coaching on emotional intelligence and self-efficacy of the nurses. Unpublished Doctor's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Lee, S. L. (1999). The effect of the relationships improvement program for college students relationships improvement through MBTI. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- Mayer, J. D., Caruso, D. R., & Salovey, P. (2002). Emotional intelligence meets traditional standards for an intelligence. Intelligence, 27(4), 267-298.
- Park, H. S. (2010). The effects of emotional leadership program on emotional leadership, organizational commitment and job satisfaction of head nurses. Unpublished doctor's thesis, Gyeongsang National University, Gyeongnam.
- Park, Y. S. (2010). A study on the relationships of emotional intelligence, organizational commitment and prosocial service behaviors of a customer service representative in customer centers. Unpublished doctor's thesis, Chonnam National University, Chonnam.
- Schutte, N. S., Malouff, J. M., Hall, L. E., Haggerty, D. J., Cooper, J. T., Golden, C. S., et al. (1998). Development and validation of a measure of emotional intelligence. Personality and Individual Differences, 25, 167-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(98)00001-4
- Shin, H. J. (2000). The effect of the group counseling program for university students interpersonal relationship enhancement through under standing of relationship patterns. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- Song, M. J., & Lee, H. R. (2008). The development and effects of a human relationship training program using a university liberal-art course. The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherpy, 20(2), 269-291.
- Suh, M. K. (2011). The development and effectiveness of an emotional speech program. Unpublished doctor's thesis, Dongsin University, Chonnam.
- Whang, H. J., & Yoo, S. L. (2005). Effects of interpersonal relation skill program on interpersonal relation skills and self-esteem. Graduate School of Donga University, 30, 75-93.
- Wong, C. M., & Law, K. S. (2002). The effects of leader and follow emotional intelligence on performance and attitude: An exploratory study. The Leadership Quarterly, 13(3), 243-274. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1
- Yoo, K. S. (1999). Research on effect of emotional intelligence improvement program on the development of emotional intelligence & morality. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungbuk National University, Chungbuk.
- Yoon, Y. H., & Koh, M. S. (2004). A study on the effects of ET training for the development of interpersonal relationship and self-identity. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 10(3), 291-298.
- Factors Affecting Subjective Well-Being in Nursing Students vol.21, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.2.276