- Volume 49 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development of a metal-halide lamp's electronic ballast
메탈핼라이드 집어등용 전자식 안정기 개발
- Park, Seong-Wook (Fisheries System Engineering Division, National Fisheries Research & Development Institute) ;
- Bae, Bong-Seong (Fisheries System Engineering Division, National Fisheries Research & Development Institute)
- Received : 2013.02.26
- Accepted : 2013.04.03
- Published : 2013.05.31
Jigging and angling fishery is prevalent in the East Sea of Korea and this fishery needs many lamps to attract the fish. And the fishing boat uses 24~47 ballasts by the vessel's tonnage to turn on the fishing lamp. A 3.5kW magnetic-type ballast being currently used at many fishing boats can drive two 1.5kW metal-halide lamps. Meanwhile, this ballast has large weight (25kg) and volume. Therefore it is one of reason for the over-consumption of energy and the fire, resulted from overheat and electrical short, occurs occasionally because the ballast is installed at narrow and hot engine room. In addition, most of magnetic ballast has several problems such as periodic condenser replacement, low energy efficiency and making lamp short life, etc. So it is necessary to improve or develop newly the electronic ballast, which has to be smaller, lighter and more efficient. An electronic ballast was designed for the fishing boat by considering duration and electromagnetic interference in the study. Its weight and volume are respectably 40% and 66% compared to current ballast on the basis of PCB. The metal-halide lamp's spectrum of the designed ballast was nearly same to that of the current ballast in the test of lighting. In particular, the light stability was improved and there isn't any radio interference. As mentioned above, it is expected that the developed electronic ballast can replace current magnetic ballast because of many advantages related to energy-saving.
Grant : 채낚기용 고효율 집어시스템 기술 개발
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- An HC, Bae BS, Lee KH, Park SW and Bae JH, 2012. Operating Performance of hair-tail angling vessel using the LED and metal halide fishing lamp combination. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 48, 337-345. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.4.337
- Bae BS, Jeong EC, Park HH, Chang DS and Yang YS, 2008. Behavioral characteristic of Japanese flying squid, Todarodes pacificus to LED light. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 44, 294-303. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2008.44.4.294
- Bae BS, Park BJ, Jeong EC, Yang YS, Park HH, Chun YY and Chang DS, 2009. Design and performance evaluation of fish-luring system using the air-cooled LED lamp for jigging and angling boat. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 45, 85-95. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2009.45.2.085
- Bae BS, An HC, Kwon KJ, Park SW, Park CD and Lee KH, 2011. Design and performance estimation of fish-luring system using the water cooling typed LED lamp. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 47, 79-87. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.2.079
- Choi SJ, 2006. Radiation and Underwater Transmission Characteristics of a high-luminance light-emitting diode as the light source for fishing lamps. J Kor Fish Soc 39, 480-486. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2006.39.6.480
- Choi SJ, 2008. Comparison of radiation characteristics and radiant quantities per unit electrical power between high luminance light emitting diode and fishing lamp light source. J Kor Fish Soc 41, 511-517. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2008.41.6.511
- Kim KN, Park JY and Choi YM, 2010. Electronic Ballast Design Driven by Low Frequency Square Wave for High Power MHL. JPE 15, 394-400. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2010.15.5.394
- Lee BJ, Kim KN and Park JY, 2008. Protection circuit design of electronic ballast for MHD lamps. JIEIE 22, 1-6.
Lee DG, Park, SW, Yang, YS, Kim HJ and Xu GC, 2011. A lew
$CO_2$laser with precise output and minamal fluctuation by adopting a high-frequency LCC resonant converter. JEET 6, 842-848.
- Park CY and Lee BJ, 2008. A study on electronic ballast for 1[kW] metal-halide lamp developed by eliminating acoustic resonance using frequency modulation method. JIEIE 22, 10-18. https://doi.org/10.5207/JIEIE.2008.22.2.010