- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Gynecological Cancer Services in Arab Countries: Present Scenario, Problems and Suggested Solutions
- Ortashi, Osman (Gynecology and Gynecology Oncology, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, United Arab Emirates University, UAE) ;
- Al Kalbani, Moza (Sultan Qaboos University Hospital)
- Published : 2013.03.30
Gynecological malignancies account for 9% of all female cancers worldwide. In the Arab countries Breast cancer is the leading cancer in women followed by cervical cancer. Ovarian cancer ranks as fourth leading cancer in women. There are huge differences in the available resources among Arab countries. However the challenges facing the provision of gynecological cancers services shared similarities like the cultural and religious background. Most of the gynecological cancers are diagnosed at a later stage in Arab countries due to the lack of reproductive health awareness especially among older women combined with the cultural stigma of seeking medical advice for gynecological symptoms. This article discusses the current situation of gynecological cancer services in Arab countries and suggests some practical solutions.
- Al-Kadri HM,Al-Awami SH, MadkhaliAM (2004). Assessment of risk factors of uterine cancer in Saudi patients with postmenopausal bleeding. Saudi Med J, 25, 857-61.
- Badrinath P, Ghazal-Aswad S, Osman N, Deemas E, McIlvenny S(2004). A study of knowledge, attitude, and practice of cervical screening among female primary care physicians in the United Arab Emirates. Hlth Care Women Int. 25, 663-70. https://doi.org/10.1080/07399330490458079
- Crawford R, Greenberg D (2012). Improvements in survival of gynaecological cancer in the Anglia region of England: are these an effect of centralisation of care and use of multidisciplinary management? BJOG. 119, 160-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2011.02961.x
- El-Hazmi MA, Warsy AS (1997). Prevalence of obesity in Saudi population. Ann Saudi Med, 17, 302-6.
- Engelen MJA, Kos HE, Willemse PHB et al (2006). Surgery by consultant gynecologic oncologists improves survival in patients with ovarian carcinoma. Cancer, 106, 589-98. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21616
- GAVI Alliance access at: http://www.gavialliance.org/index.aspx
- Globocan (2008). International Agency For Research on Cancer, World Health Organization. Accessible at: http://globocan.iarc.fr/
- Health Authority Abu Dhabi website (HAAD): available at:http://www.haad.ae/haad/ar/tabid/1214/Default.aspx.
- Ibrahim A, Rasch V, Pukkala E, Aro AR (2011). Predictors of cervical cancer being at an advanced stage at diagnosis in Sudan. Int J Womens Hlth, 3, 385-89.
- Lehtinen M, Paavonen J, Wheeler CM, et al (2012). Overall efficacy of HPV-16/18 AS04-adjuvanted vaccine against grade 3 or greater cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: 4-year end-of-study analysis of the randomised, double-blind PATRICIA trial. Lancet Oneal, 13, 89-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70286-8
- Ng SW, Zaghloul S, Ali HI, Harrison G, Popkin BM (2011). The prevalence and trends of overweight, obesity and nutritionrelated non-communicable diseases in the Arabian Gulf States. Obes Rev. 12, 1-13.
- Sahasrabuddhe VV, Parham GP, Mwanahamuntu MH, Vermund SH (2012). Cervical cancer prevention in low- and middleincome countries: feasible, affordable, essential. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 5, 11-7. https://doi.org/10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-11-0540
- Zaki A, Gaber A, Ghanem E, Moemen M, Shehata G (2011). Abdominal obesity and endometrial cancer in egyptian females with postmenopausal bleeding. Nutr Cancer. 63, 1272-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2011.615973
- Lack of Associations of the COMT Val158Met Polymorphism with Risk of Endometrial and Ovarian Cancer: a Pooled Analysis of Case-control Studies vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6181
- Breast Cancer in Bedouin-Arab Patients in Southern Israel: Epidemiologic and Biologic Features in Comparison with Jewish Patients vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7533
- Descriptive Epidemiology of Common Female Cancers in the North East India - a Hospital Based Study vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10735
- Integrative review of cervical cancer screening in Western Asian and Middle Eastern Arab countries vol.19, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/nhs.12374