- Volume 14 Issue 3
Cancer, despite all the efforts, still causes one in five deaths worldwide. Surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy provide inadequate protection and instead affect normal cells along with cancer cells. The search for cancer cures from natural products (plants and animals) has been practice for over a decade and the use of purified chemical to treat cancer still continues. Several studies have been undertaken during last three decades to find the anti-cancerous property of various plant extract and toxins secreted by animals and micro-organism. These lead to the discovery of several promising molecule having anticancer activity, some of which are in clinical trial and may emerged to be a potential future drug in cancer therapy. In this study we have used penicillin to evaluate its anti-cancer activity. It shown significant effects at cellular and molecular levels against growth of HeLa and K562 cell lines.
- Baskar R, Lee KA, Yeo R, Yeoh KW (2012). Cancer and radiation therapy: current advances and future directions. Int J Med Sci, 9, 193-9. https://doi.org/10.7150/ijms.3635
- Basset P, Bellocq JP, Wolf C, et al (1990). A novel metalloproteinase gene specifically expressed in stromal cells of breast carcinomas. Nature, 348, 699-704. https://doi.org/10.1038/348699a0
- Blasius R, Reuter S, Henry E, et al (2006). Curcumin regulates signal transducer and activator of transcription (STAT) expression in K562 cells. Biochem Pharmacol, 72, 1547-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcp.2006.07.029
- Cornman I (1944). A selective lethal effect of penicillin on sarcoma cells growing with normal tissue in roller tube cultures. The Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology, Philadelphia.
- Diggins FW (1999). The true history of the discovery of penicillin, with refutation of the misinformation in the literature. Br J Biomed Sci, 56, 83-93.
- Dikshit R, Gupta PC, Ramasundarahettige C, et al (2012). Cancer mortality in India: a nationally representative survey. Lancet, 379, 1807-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)60358-4
- Gibbs WW (2003). Untangling the roots of cancer. Sci Am, 289, 56-65. https://doi.org/10.1038/scientificamerican0703-56
- Gomes A, Bhattacharjee P, Mishra R, et al (2010). Anticancer potential of animal venoms and toxins. Indian J Exper Biol, 48, 93-103.
- Hanahan D, Weinberg RA (2011). Hallmarks of cancer: the next generation. Cell, 144, 646-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2011.02.013
- Kaymaz BT, Selvi N, Saydam G, et al (2012). Methylprednisolone induces apoptosis by interacting with the JAK/STAT pathway in HL-60 and K-562 leukemic cells. Hematology, 17, 93-9. https://doi.org/10.1179/102453312X13221316477859
- Kazi A, Hill R, Long TE, et al (2004). Novel N-thiolated betalactam antibiotics selectively induce apoptosis in human tumor and transformed, but not normal or nontransformed, cells. Biochem Pharmacol, 67, 365-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcp.2003.09.017
- Kuhn D, Coates C, Daniel K, et al (2004). Beta-lactams and their potential use as novel anticancer chemotherapeutics drugs. Front Biosci: J Virtual Lib, 9, 2605-17. https://doi.org/10.2741/1420
- Li X, Li H, Li S, et al (2012). Ceftriaxone, an FDA-approved cephalosporin antibiotic, suppresses lung cancer growth by targeting Aurora B. Carcinogenesis, 33, 2548-57. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgs283
- Rouyer N, Wolf C, Chenard MP, et al (1994). Stromelysin-3 gene expression in human cancer: an overview. Invasion Metastasis, 14, 269-75.
- Siegel R, Ward E, Brawley O, Jemal A (2011). Cancer statistics, 2011: the impact of eliminating socioeconomic and racial disparities on premature cancer deaths. CA: Cancer J Clinicians, 61, 212-36. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20121
- Xing B, Rao J, Liu R (2008). Novel beta-lactam antibiotics derivatives: their new applications as gene reporters, antitumor prodrugs and enzyme inhibitors. Mini Reviews Med Chem, 8, 455-71. https://doi.org/10.2174/138955708784223558
- Antioxidant value and Antiproliferative Efficacy of Mitragynine and a Silane Reduced Analogue vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5659
- Cancer Therapy Using Antibiotics vol.06, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4236/jct.2015.610093
- Cytotoxic effects of new synthesis heterocyclic derivatives of Amoxicillin on some cancer cell lines vol.1003, pp.1742-6596, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1003/1/012012