- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Statistical Modelling and Forecasting of Cervix Cancer Cases in Radiation Oncology Treatment: A Hospital Based Study from Western Nepal
- Sathian, Brijesh (Department of Community Medicine, Manipal College of Medical Sciences) ;
- Fazil, Abul (Department of General Medicine, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University) ;
- Sreedharan, Jayadevan (Research Division, Gulf Medical University) ;
- Pant, Sadip (Department of Internal Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences) ;
- Kakria, Anjali (Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University) ;
- Sharan, Krishna (Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University) ;
- Rajesh, E. (School of Behavioural Sciences, Mahatma Gandhi University) ;
- Vishrutha, K.V. (Department of Physiology, Srinivas Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre) ;
- Shetty, Soumya B. (Department of Community Medicine, Srinivas Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre) ;
- Shahnavaz, Shameema (Department of Physiology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University) ;
- Rao, Jyothi H. (Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Srinivas Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre) ;
- Marakala, Vijaya (Department of Biochemistry, Srinivas Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre)
- Published : 2013.03.30
Background: To estimate the numbers and trends in cervix cancer cases visiting the Radiotherapy Department at Manipal Teaching Hospital, Pokhara, Nepal, statistical modelling from retrospective data was applied. Materials and Methods: A retrospective study was carried out on data for a total of 159 patients treated for cervix cancer at Manipal Teaching Hospital, Pokhara, Nepal, between
- Balaiah D, Shahina B, Saritha N, et al (2012). Awareness of cervical cancer among couples in a slum area of Mumbai. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4901-3. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.4901
- Beyer WH (1976). Standard Mathematical Tables, 24th ed. Cleveland, OH: CRC Press.
- Bradley J, Barone M, Mahe C, et al (2005). Delivering cervical cancer prevention services in low-resource settings. Int J Gynaecol Obstet, 89, 21-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijgo.2005.01.013
- Chambers JM, Cleveland WS, Kleiner B, et al (1983). Graphical Methods for Data Analysis. Boston: Duxbury Press.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide. GLOBOCAN 2008: IARC cancer Base No.10 [Internet]. Lyon, France: International agency for research on cancer. Available from: http://globocon.iarc.fr. Accessed on Jan 10, 21012.
- Joy T, Sathian B, Bhattarai C, Chacko J (2011). Awareness of cervix cancer risk factors in educated youth: a crosssectional, questionnaire based survey in India, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1707-2.
- Nepal demographic and health survey 2006 (2007). Population Division, Ministry of Health and Population.
- Nene B, Jayant K, Arrossi S, et al (2007). Determinants of women's participation in cervical cancer screening trial, Maharashtra, India. Bulletin of the World Heath Organization, 85, 264-72. https://doi.org/10.2471/BLT.06.031195
- Petrie A, Sabin C (2000). Medical Statistics at a Glance, 1st Ed. London, Blackwell Science. pp 71-4.
- Quinn M, Babb P, Jones J, Allen E (1999). Effect of screening on incidence of and mortality from cancer of cervix in England: evaluation based on routinely collected statistics. BMJ, 318, 904-8. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.318.7188.904
- Raychaudhuri S, Mandal S (2012). Socio-demographic and behavioural risk factors for cervical cancer and knowledge, attitude and practice in rural and Urban Areas of North Bengal, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1093-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1093
- Sitakan N, Wannapa S, Supat S, et al (2012). Risk factors for cervical cancer in Northeastern Thailand: Detailed analysis of sexual and smoking behavior. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5489-95 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5489
- Sathian B, Sreedharan J, Sharan K, et al (2010). Statistical modelling technique in forecasting of palliative oncotherapy load in hospitals. Nepal J Epidemiol, 1, 38-43.
- Sathian B, Bhatt CR, Jayadevan S, et al (2010). Prediction of cancer cases for a hospital in Nepal: a statistical modelling. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 441-5.
- Sathian B, Sreedharan J, Sharan K, et al (2010). Forecasting breast cancer cases requiring radiotherapy at a teaching hospital in Nepal. J Clin and Diagnostic Res, 4, 2378-83.
- Sathian B (2011). Statistical modelling of HIV/AIDS in Nepal: a necessary enquiry. Nepal J Epidemiol, 1, 74-6.
- Sathian B, Sreedharan J, Mittal A, et al (2011). Statistical modelling and forecasting of reported HIV cases in Nepal. Nepal J Epidemiol, 1, 107-11.
- United Nations Secretariat (2008). World fertility patterns 2007 [wall chart]., Population Division, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, New York.
- United Nations (2005), Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division. World Contraceptive 2005 (http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/contraceptive2005/WCU2005.htm)
- UNAIDS/WHO (2008). 2008 Report on the global AIDS epidemic.
- Willoughby BJ, Faulkner K, Stamp EC, Whitaker CJ (2006). A descriptive study of the decline in cervical screening coverage rates in the North East and Yorkshire and the Humber regions of the UK from 1995-2005. J Public Health (Oxf), 28, 355-60. https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdl062
- WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic, 2008 (2008) - The MPOWER package. Tobacco Free Initiative, World Health Organization. (http://www.who.int/tobacco/mpower/gtcr_download/en/index.html)
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2010). Human papillomavirus infection and cervical cancer.. Available at: www.who.int/vaccine_research/diseases/hpv. Accessed February 21.
- Xiu-Zhen X, Kun S, Baoxia C, et al (2012). Clinical and pathological factors related to the prognosis of chinese patients with stage Ib to IIb cervical cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5505-10. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5505
- Comparison of Effects of Hemoglobin Levels Upon Tumor Response among Cervical Carcinoma Patients Undergoing Accelerated Hyperfractionated Radiotherapy versus Cisplatin Chemoradiotherapy vol.16, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.10.4285
- Malignant Neoplasm Burden in Nepal - Data from the Seven Major Cancer Service Hospitals for 2012 vol.16, pp.18, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.18.8659
- Trend of Cancer Incidence in Nepal from 2003 to 2012 vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2171