- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the Relationships between Esophageal Cancer Cases and Climatic Factors Using a Geographic Information System (GIS): a Case Study of Ardabil province in Iran
- Ahari, Saeid Sadeghieh (Community Medicine, Ardabil University of Medical Science) ;
- Agdam, Fridoon Babaei (Geography Department, University of Mohaghegh Ardabili) ;
- Amani, Firouz (Biostatistics, Ardabil University of Medical Science) ;
- Yazdanbod, Abbas (Gastroenterology, Ardabil University of Medical Science) ;
- Akhghari, Leyla (General Practitioner, Ardabil University of Medical Science)
- Published : 2013.03.30
Esophageal cancer is a mjaor health problems in many parts of the world. A geographical information system (GIS) allows investigation of the geographical distribution of diseases. The purpose of the present study was to explore the relationship between esophageal cancer and effective climatic factors using GIS. The dispersion distribution and the relationship between environmental factors effective on cancer were measured using Arc GIS. The highest degree of spread was in Germi town and the least was in Ardabil city. There was a significant relationship between effective environmental factors and esophageal cancer in Ardabil province. The results indicated that environmental factors probably are influential in determining the incidence of esophageal cancer. Also, these results can be considered as a window to future comprehensive research on esophageal cancer and related risk factors.
- Ahmedin JD, Bray F, Melissa MC, et al (2011). Global Cancer Statistics. CA: A Cancer J Clinicians, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Brawer CA (2006). Basic mapping principles for visualizing cancer data using Geographic information systems (GIS). Am J Prev Med, 30, 25-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2005.09.007
- Cedric F, Garland D, William B, et al (2007). What is the doseresponse relationship between vitamin D and cancer risk. Nutrition Reviews, 65, 91-5. https://doi.org/10.1301/nr.2007.aug.S91-S95
- Diffey B (2004). Climate change, ozone depletion and the impact on ultraviolet exposure of human skin. Physics Med and Biology, 49, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/49/1/001
- Etemadi A, Sadjadi A, Semnani S, et al (2008). Cancer registry in Iran: a brief overview. Arch Iran Med, 11, 577-80.
- Grant WB (2010). An ecological study of cancer incidence and mortality rates in France with respect to latitude, an index for vitamin D production. Dermato Endocrinol, 2, 62-7. https://doi.org/10.4161/derm.2.2.13624
- Kamangar F, Dawsey SM, Saiedi F, et al (2007). Esophageal cancer in northeastern Iran: a review. Arch Iranian Med, 10, 70-82.
- Ke L (2002). Mortality and incidence trends from esophagus cancer in selected geographic areas of China circa 1970-90. Int J Cancer, 102, 271-4. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10706
- Kmet J, Mahboubi E (1972). Esophageal cancer in the Caspian littoral of Iran: Initial studies. Science, 175, 846-53. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.175.4024.846
- Keshavarzi B, Najmeddin A, Rahmani F, et al (2012). Quality of drinking water and high incidence rate of esophageal cancer in Golestan province of Iran: a probable link. Environmental Geochemistry and Health, 34, 15-26. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10653-011-9377-3
- Lappe JM,Travers D, Davies KM, et al (2007). Vitamin D and calcium supplementation reduces cancer risk: Results of a randomized trial. Am J Clin Nutr, 85, 1586-91.
- Launoy G, Milan C, Day NE, et al (1998). Diet and squamouscell cancer of the esophagus: French multicentre case-control study. Int J Cancer, 76, 7-12. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19980330)76:1<7::AID-IJC2>3.0.CO;2-4
- Miller JD (2001). Factors that affect the occurrence of fumonisin. Environ Health Perspect, 109, 321-4. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.01109s2321
- Mousavi SM (2009). Gastric Cancer in Iran 1966-2006. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 407-12.
- Mosavi-JA, Moini M, Mohagheghi MA, et al (2007). Clustering of childhood cancer in the inner city of Tehran metropolitan area: a GIS-based analysis. Int J Hygiene & Environ Health, 210, 113-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheh.2006.08.005
- Pierre BP, Quero L, Schlageter MH, et al (2012). Prognostic significance of anti-p53 and anti-KRas circulating antibodies in esophageal cancer patients treated with chemo radiotherapy. BMC Cancer, 12, 119-22. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-12-119
- Pedram A, Mahmodlou R, Enshayi A, et al (2011). Esophageal cancer in northwestern Iran. Indian J Cancer, 48, 165-9. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.82875
- Sadjadi A, Marjani H, Semnani Sh, et al (2010). Esophageal Cancer in Iran: A Review. Middle East J Cancer, 1, 5-14.
- Sadjadi A, Hislop TG, Bajdik Ch, et al (2009). Comparison of breast cancer survival in two populations: Ardabil, Iran and British Columbia, Canada. BMC Cancer, 9, 381-7. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-9-381
- Samadi F, Yazdanbod A, Fallah M, et al (2007). Survival rate of gastric and esophageal cancers in Ardabil province, North-West of Iran. Arch Iran Med, 10, 32-7.
- Sadjadi A, Nourae M, Mohagheghi MA, et al (2005). Cancer occurrence in Iran in 2002, an international perspective. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 359-63.
- Semnani S, Sadjadi A, Fahimi S, et al (2006). Declining incidence of esophageal cancer in the Turkmen plain, eastern part of the caspian littoral of Iran: aretrospective cancer surveillance. Cancer Detect Prev, 30, 14-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cdp.2005.11.002
- Wu K, Li K (2007). Association between esophageal cancer and drought in China by using geographic information system. Environ Int, 33, 603-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2007.01.001
- Overview of Cancer Registration Research in the Asian Pacific from 2008-2013 vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4461
- Geographic Distribution and Epidemiology of Lung Cancer During 2011 in Zhejiang Province of China vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5299
- Analysis of Relationships between Altitude and Distance from Volcano with Stomach Cancer Incidence Using a Geographic Information System vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.6889
- Epidemiology Characteristics and Trends of Incidence and Morphology of Stomach Cancer in Iran vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2757