- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Plasma Vascular Endothelial Growth Factors A and C in Patients undergoing Prostatic Biopsy and TURP for Suspected Prostatic Neoplasia
- Singh, A.N. (Biochemistry Department, GSVM College) ;
- Gautam, Kirti A. (Pathology Department, King George Medical University) ;
- Dalela, D. (Urology Department, King George Medical University) ;
- Sankhwar, S.N. (Urology Department, King George Medical University) ;
- Natu, S.M. (Pathology Department, King George Medical University) ;
- Sankhwar, P.L. (Obst. and Gynaecology Department, King George Medical University) ;
- Srivastava, A.N. (Pathology Department, Era's Medical College and Hospitals)
- Published : 2013.03.30
Background: Formation of new blood vessels is necessary for the development and spread of neoplasms more than 1 mm3 in volume, angiogenesis being responsible for formation of new from pre-existing blood vessels. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) is pivotal and the best studied angiogenic factor in all human cancers. Therefore we designed this study to investigate the role of VEGF-A and VEGF-C in prostate cancer in comparison with BPH controls in a north Indian population. Methods: In this case-control study a total of 100 subjects were included on the basis of confirmed histopathological reports, out of which 50 were prostate cancer patients and the other 50 were BPH patients with PSA levels >2 ng/ml and abnormal digital rectal examination (DRE) findings during September 2009 to August 2011 from the Department of Urology, KGMU, Lucknow, India. Plasma levels of VEGF were determined using quantitative immunoassay (ELISA-enzyme linked immunosorbent assay). Statistical analysis was carried out using SPSS 15.0 version. Results: The mean age of prostate cancer (
- Brawer MK (2000). Prostate-specific antigen. Semin Surg Oncol, 18, 3-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2388(200001/02)18:1<3::AID-SSU2>3.0.CO;2-I
- Bok RA, Halabi S, Fei DT, et al (2001).Vascular endothelial growth factor and basic fibroblast growth factor urine levels as predictors of outcome in hormone-refractory prostate cancer patients: a cancer and leukemia group B study.Cancer Res, 61, 2533-6.
- Caine GJ, Lip GY, Stonelake PS, et al (2004). Platelet activation, coagulation and angiogenesis in 437 breast and prostate carcinoma. Thromb Haemost, 92, 185-90.
- Carmeliet P, Jain RK (2011). Principles and mechanisms of vessel normalization for cancer and other angiogenic diseases. Nat Rev Drug Discov, 10, 417-27. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrd3455
- Doll JA, Reiher FK, Crawford SE, et al (2001). Thrombospondin-1, vascular endothelial growth factor and fibroblast growth factor-2 are key functional regulators of angiogenesis in the prostate. Prostate, 49, 293-305. https://doi.org/10.1002/pros.10025
- Duque JL, Loughlin KR, Adam RM, et al (1999). Plasma levels of vascu¬lar endothelial growth factor are increased in patients with metastatic prostate cancer. Urology, 54, 523-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(99)00167-3
- Ferrara N, Mass RD, Campa C, et al (2007). Targeting VEGF-A to treat cancer and age-related macular degeneration. Annual Review of Medicine, 58. 491-504. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.med.58.061705.145635
- Francisco B, Francisco P, Pedro S (2010). Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and prostate pathology. Int Braz J Urol, 36, 430-38. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1677-55382010000400006
- Fukuda H, Tsuchiya N, Narita S, et al (2007). Clinical implication of vascular endothelial growth factor T-460C polymorphism in the risk and progression of prostate cancer. Oncol Rep, 18, 1155-63.
- George DJ, Halabi S, Shepard TF, et al (2001). Prognostic significance of plasma vascular endothelial growth factor levels in patients with hormone-refractory prostate cancer treated on Cancer Leukemia Group B 9480. Clin Cancer Res, 7, 1932-6.
- Green MM, Hiley CT, Shanks JH, et al (2007). Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in locally inyas ive in prostate cancer is prognostic for radiotherapy outcome. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 67, 84-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2006.08.077
- Haojie Li, Philip WK, Jing M, et al (2005). Prediagnostic Plasma Vascular Biomarkers Prev, 14, 1557-61.
- Jain L, Vargo CA, Danesi R, et al (2009). The role of vascular endothelial growth factor SNPs as predictive and prognostic markers for major solid tumors. Mol Cancer Ther, 8, 2496-508. https://doi.org/10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-09-0302
- Jie Y, Hong-Fei W, Li-Xin Q, et al (2006). Increased expressions of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), VEGF-C and VEGF receptor-3 in prostate cancer tissue are associated with tumor progression. Asian J Androl, 8, 169-75. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7262.2006.00120.x
- Jose L F D, Kevin R L, Rosalyn M A, et al. (2006). Measurement of plasma levels of vascular endothelial growth factor in prostate cancer patients: relationship with clinical Stage, gleason score, prostate volume, and Serum prostate-specific antigen. Clinics, 61, 401-8.
- Kohli M, Kaushal V, Spencer HJ, et al (2003). Prospective study of circulating angiogenic markers in prostate-specific antigen (PSA)-stable and PSA-progressive hormone-sensitive advanced prostate cancer. Urology, 61, 765-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(02)02424-X
- Kowanetz M, Ferrara N (2006). Vascular endothelial growth factor signaling pathways:therapeutic perspective. Clin cancer Res, 12, 5018-22. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-06-1520
- Majeed A, Babb P, Jones J, Quinn M (2000). Trends in prostate cancer incidence,mortality and survival in England and Wales 1971-1998. Br J Urol Int, 85, 1058-62. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1464-410x.2000.00661.x
- Mc Connell JD et al (1994). Benign prostatic hyperplasia diagnosis and treatment.Clinical practice guideline, Number 8AHCPR publication no94-0582 Rockville MD.
- Mori R, Dorff TB, Xiong S, et al (2010). The relationship between proangiogenic gene expression levels in prostate cancer and their prognostic value for clinical outcomes. Prostate, 70, 1692-700. https://doi.org/10.1002/pros.21204
- Nath A, Singh JK, Vendan SE, et al (2012). Elevated level of prostate specific antigen among postate cancer patients and high prevalence in the gangetic zone of Bihar, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 221-3. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.221
- Nicholson B, Theodorescu D (2004). Angiogenesis and prostate cancer tumor growth. J Cell Biochem, 91, 125-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.10772
- Peyromaure M, Camparo P, Badoual C, et al (2007). The expression of vascular endothelial growth factor is associated with the risk of cancer progression after radical prostatectomy. BJU Int, 99,1150-3. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2007.06734.x
- Peyromaure M, Goulvestre C, Fulla Y, et al (2005). Serum levels of vascular endothelial growth factor in patients undergoing prostate biopsy for suspicion of prostate cancer. Urology. 66, 687-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2005.03.082
- Rutjes AW, Reitsma JB, Di Nisio M, et al (2006). Evidence of bias and variation in diagnostic accuracy studies. CMAJ, 174, 469-76. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.050090
- Shah S, Jha B, Khanal MP (2011). Effects of Aging and Ethnicity on Serum Free Prostate Specific Antigen. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 12, 2509-12.
- Shariat SF, Anwuri VA, Lamb DJ, et al (2004). Association of preoperative plasma levels of vascular endothelial growth factor and soluble vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 with lymph node status and biochemical progression after radical pros-tatectomy. J Clin Oncol, 22, 1655-63. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.09.142
- Sitohy B, Nagy JA, Dvorak HF (2012). Anti-VEGF/VEGFR therapy for cancer: reassessing the target. Cancer Res, 72, 1909-14. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-11-3406
- Svatek RS, Jeldres C, Karakiewiez PI, et al (2009). Pretreatment of biomarker levels improve the accuracy of post-prostatectomy nomogram for prediction of biochemical recurrence. Prostate, 69, 886-94. https://doi.org/10.1002/pros.20938
Thompson IM, Pauler DK, Goodman PJ, et al (2004). Prevalence of prostate cancer among men with a prostate-specific antigen level
- Trapeznikova MF, Shibaev AN, Kazantseva IA, et al (2005). Vascular endothelial growth factor in patients with prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia. Vestn Ross Akad Med Nauk. 5, 14-6.
- Trapeznikova MF, Shibaeva AN, Ianshin AA, et al (2004). Vascular endothelial growth factor and insulin-like-growth factors in prostate cancer. Urologia, 1, 17-21.
- Voss M, Trojen L, Stiedler A, et al (2008). Serum vascular endothelial growth factor C level in patients with prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia. Anal Quant Cytol Histol, 30, 199-202.
- Van der Heul-Nieuwenhuijsen L, Hendriksen PJM, Van der Kwast TH, et al (2006). Gene expression profiling of the human prostate zones. BJU Int, 98, 886-97. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2006.06427.x
- WanQ, Diao X, Sun J, Chen Z (2011). Stromal cell-derived factor-1 and vascular endothelial growth factor as biomarkers for lymph node metastasis and poor cancer-specific survival in prostate cancer patients after radical prostatectomy. Urol Oncol, 31, 312-7.
- Walsh K, Sherwood RA, Dew TK, et al (1999). Angiogenic peptides in prostatic disease. BJU Int, 84, 1081-3.
- Weber DC, Tille JC, Combescure C, et al (2012). The prognostic value of expression of HIF1alpha, EGFR and VEGF-A, in localised prostate cancer for intermediate and high risk patients treated with radiation therapy with or without androgen deprivation therapy. Radiat Oncol, 7, 66. https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-717X-7-66
- West AF, O Donnell M, Charlton RG et al (2001). Correlation of vascular endothelial growth factor expression with fibroblast growth factor-8 expression and clinico-pathologic parameters in human prostate cancer. Br J Cancer, 85, 576-83. https://doi.org/10.1054/bjoc.2001.1971
- Wynendaele W, Derua R, Hoylaerts MF, et al (1999). Vascular endothelial growth factor measured in platelet poor plasma allows optimal separation between cancer patients and volunteers: a key to study an angiogenic marker in vivo? Ann Oncol, 10, 965-71. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008377921886
- Yancopoulos GD, Davis S, Gale NW, et al (2000). Vascular Specific growth factor and blood vessel formation. Nature, 407, 242-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/35025215
- Yamamoto Y, Toi M, Kondo S, et al (1996). Concentrations of vascular endothelial growth factor in the sera of normal controls and cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res, 2, 821-6.
- Zeng Y, Opeskin K, Baldwin ME, et al (2004). Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-3 by lymphatic endothelial cells is associated with lymph node metastasis in prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 10, 5137-44. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-03-0434
- Serum Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor-A (VEGF-A) as a Biomarker in Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Head and Neck Patients Undergoing Chemoradiotherapy vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3261
- Dysregulation of the vascular endothelial growth factor and semaphorin ligand-receptor families in prostate cancer metastasis vol.9, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12918-015-0201-z