- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Two Chemotherapy Regimens, Anthracycline-based and CMF, on Breast Cancer Disease Free Survival in the Eastern Mediterranean Region and Asia: A Meta-Analysis Approach for Survival Curves
- Zare, Najaf (Department of Biostatistics, Research Center of Infertility, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Ghanbari, Saeed (Department of Biostatistics, Research Center of Infertility, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Salehi, Alireza (Department of Biostatistics, Faculty of Medical Science, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2013.03.30
Background: To compare the effects of two adjuvant chemotherapy regimens, anthracycline-based and cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, fluorourical (CMF) on disease free survival for breast cancer patients in the Eastern Mediterranean region and Asia. Methods: In a systematic review with a multivariate mixed model meta-analysis, the reported survival proportion at multiple time points in different studies were combined. Our data sources were studies linking the two chemotherapy regimens on an adjuvant basis with disease free survival published in English and Persian in the Eastern Mediterranean region and Asia. All survival curves were generated with Graphdigitizer software. Results: 14 retrospective cohort studies were located from electronic databases. We analyzed data for 1,086 patients who received anthracycline-based treatment and 1,109 given CMF treatment. For determination of survival proportions and time we usesb the transformation Ln (-Ln(S)) and Ln (time) to make precise estimations and then fit the model. All analyses were carried out with STATA software. Conclusions: Our findings showed a significant efficacy of anthracycline-based adjuvant therapy regarding disease free survival of breast cancer. As a limitation in this meta-analysis we used studies with different types of anthracycline-based regimens.
- Al-Moundhri M, Al-Bahrani B, Pervez I, et al (2004).The outcome of treatment of breast cancer in a developing country-oman. The Breast, 13, 139-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2003.10.001
- Arends L.R, Myriam Hunink M.G, Stijnen Th (2008).Metaanalysis of summary survival curve data. Statistics in Med, 27, 4381-96. https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.3311
- American Cancer Society (2010).Breast cancer facts & figures .Atlanta; American Cancer Society, Inc.
- Arkoob K, Al-Nsour M, Al-Nemry O, Al-Hajawi B (2010). Epidemiology of breast cancer in women in Jordan: patient characteristics and survival analysis. East Mediterr Hlth J, 16, 1032-8.
- Abbas H, Elyamany A, Salem M, et al (2011). The optimal sequence of radiotherapy and chemotherapy in adjuvant treatment of breast cancer. Int Arch Med, 4, 35-42. https://doi.org/10.1186/1755-7682-4-35
- Wang SH, Yanxia S, Yuan ZH, et al (2011). Classical CMF regimen as adjuvant chemotherapy for triple-negative breast cancer may be more effective compared with anthracycline or taxane-based regimens. Med Oncol, 11, 9964-72.
- Yan PW, Huang XE (2010). Clinical comparison of safety and efficacy of vinorelbine/epirubicin (NE) with fluorouracil/epirubicin/ cyclophosphamide (FEC). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1115-8.
- Zhang J, Yan LIU (2008). HER2 over-expression and response to different chemotherapy regimens in breast cancer. J Zhejinang University Science, 9, 5-9. https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.B073003
- Brunner, Suddarth's (2008). Textbook of medical-surgical nursing. 11th Edition, chapter 1.
- Dear KBG (1994). Iterative generalized least squares for metaanalysis of survival data at multiple times. Biometrics, 50, 989-1002. https://doi.org/10.2307/2533438
- Duolao W, Ameet B, Felicity C (2006). A Practical Guide to Design, Analysis, and Reporting Clinical Trials. London Remedica, chapter 38.
- Dersimonian R, Kacher R (2007). Random-effect model for meta-analysis of clinical trials: an update. Contemp Clinical Trials, 28, 105-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cct.2006.04.004
- Di Leo A, Desmedt C, Bartlett J, et al (2011). HER2 and TOP2A as predictive markers for anthracycline-containing chemotherapy regimens as adjuvant treatment of breast cancer: a meta-analysis of individual patient data. Lancet Oncol, 12, 1134-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70231-5
- Faradmal J, Kazemnejad A, Khoda BR, Hajizade E, Gohari MR (2010). Comparing three adjuvant chemotherapy regimens after modified radical mastectomy in breast cancer patients using log-logistic model. Sci J Semnan Univ Med Sci, 11, 279-86.
- Hedges LV, Vevea JL (1998). Fixed and random effects model in meta-analysis. Psychological Methods, 3, 486-504. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.3.4.486
- Ismaili N, Mellas N, Masbah O, et al (2009). Concurrent chemoradiotherapy in adjuvant treatment of breast cancer. Radiat Oncol, 4, 12-25. https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-717X-4-12
- Ismaili N, Elmajjaoui S, Lalya I, et al (2010). Anthracycline and concurrent radiotherapy as adjuvant treatment of operable breast cancer: a retrospective cohort study in a single institution. BMC Res Notes, 3, 247-57.
- Kleinbaum D (2004). Survival analysis a self- learning text. Springer.
- Kuru B, Camlibel M, Dine S, et al (2005). A comparison of the outcomes of non-randomized chemotherapy regimens in node positive breast cancer. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 3, 363-71.
- Katalinic A, Pritzkuleit R, Waldmann A (2009). Recent trends in breast cancer incidence and mortality in Germany. Breast Care, 4, 75-80. https://doi.org/10.1159/000211526
- Kim K, Chie EK, Han W, et al (2011).Concurrent versus sequential administration of CMF chemotherapy and radiotherapy after breast-conserving surgery in early breast cancer. Tumori, 97, 280-5.
- Lian-Fang Li, Xiao-Jing Xu, Zhao Y, et al (2008). Integrated gene expression profile predicts prognosis of breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 113, 231-7.
- Mousavi SM, Montazeri A, Mohagheghi MA, et al (2007). Breast cancer in iran: an epidemiological review. The Breast J, 13, 383-91. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4741.2007.00446.x
- Sakakibara M, Nagashima T, Kadowaki M, et al (2009). Clinical significance of axillary microresiduals after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer patients with cytologically proven metastases. Ann Surg Oncol, 16, 2470-8. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-009-0612-4
- Wong ZW, Ang PCS (2008). Phase I/II study of gemcitabine with pegylated liposomal doxorubicin as first-line therapy in asian women with metastatic breast cancer. The Breast, 17, 517-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2008.03.009
- High-throughput screen identifies disulfiram as a potential therapeutic for triple-negative breast cancer cells: Interaction with IQ motif-containing factors vol.12, pp.18, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4161/cc.26063
- Comparing Role of Two Chemotherapy Regimens, CMF and Anthracycline-Based, on Breast Cancer Survival in the Eastern Mediterranean Region and Asia by Multivariate Mixed Effects Models: a Meta-Analysis vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5655