- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Potential Predictors of Sensitivity to Pemetrexed as First-line Chemotherapy for Patients with Advanced Non-Squamous NSCLCs
- Lu, Yan-Yan (Department of Chemotherapy, the Affiliated Jiangsu Cancer Hospital of Nanjing Medical University & Jiangsu Institute of Cancer Research) ;
- Huang, Xin-En (Department of Chemotherapy, the Affiliated Jiangsu Cancer Hospital of Nanjing Medical University & Jiangsu Institute of Cancer Research) ;
- Xu, Lin (Department of Thoracic Surgery, the Affiliated Jiangsu Cancer Hospital of Nanjing Medical University & Jiangsu Institute of Cancer Research) ;
- Liu, De-Gan (Department of Oncology, Xinghua People's Hospital) ;
- Cao, Jie (Department of Chemotherapy, the Affiliated Jiangsu Cancer Hospital of Nanjing Medical University & Jiangsu Institute of Cancer Research) ;
- Wu, Xue-Yan (Department of Chemotherapy, the Affiliated Jiangsu Cancer Hospital of Nanjing Medical University & Jiangsu Institute of Cancer Research) ;
- Liu, Jin (Department of Chemotherapy, the Affiliated Jiangsu Cancer Hospital of Nanjing Medical University & Jiangsu Institute of Cancer Research) ;
- Xiang, Jin (Department of Research, the Affiliated Jiangsu Cancer Hospital of Nanjing Medical University & Jiangsu Institute of Cancer Research)
- Published : 2013.03.30
Background: Pemetrexed (PEM) is effective in first-line treatment for patients with non-squamous non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). However there are currently no definitive determinants to certify which patients could benefit from PEM. To improve the efficacy of PEM combined with platinum as first-line therapy for advanced non-squamous NSCLC, we conducted this retrospective study to detect potential determinants of this regimen. Methods: We recruited 109 patients with advanced non-squamous NSCLC who received PEM with a platinum as first-line therapy from June 2006 to February 2013 in Jiangsu Cancer Hospital. Multiple variables (age, sex, smoking, degree of cell differentiation, hemoglobin, platinum drugs combined, positions of metastasis) were selected. Logistic regression analysis was used to analyse relationships between these variables and tumor response. Result: In univariate analysis, we found that age and platinum significantly influenced the results of PEM therapy (P<0.05). In multivariable analysis, no factors were independently significant. Conclusion: Our analysis did not suggest that the age, sex, metastasis of liver or other organs, hemoglobin, smoking history and pathological differentiation are associated with the response of PEM. We should conduct further analyses with larger sample size to reconfirm this issue.
Pemetrexed;non-squamous NSCLC;platinum chemotherapy;age;China
- Ardizzoni A, Boni L, Tiseo M, et al (2007). Cisplatin- versus carboplatin-based chemotherapy in first-line treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer, an individual patient data meta-analysis. J Natl Cancer Inst, 99, 847-57. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djk196
- Eismann U, Oberschmidt O, Ehnert M, et al (2005). Pemetrexed: mRNA expression of the target genes TS, GARFT and DHFR correlates with the in vitro chemosensitivity of human solid tumors. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther, 43, 567-9. https://doi.org/10.5414/CPP43567
- Esteban E, Casillas M, Cassinello A, et al (2009). Pemetrexed in first-line treatment of non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Treat Rev, 35, 364-73 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2009.02.002
- Gao LL, Huang XE, Zhang Q, et al (2011). A Cisplatin and vinorelbine (NP) regimen as a postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy for completely resected breast cancers in China, final results of a phase II clinical trial. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 77-80.
- Giovannetti E, Mey V, Nannizzi S, et al (2005). Cellular and pharmacogenetics foundation of synergistic interaction of pemetrexed and gemcitabine in human non-small-cell lung cancer cells. Mol Pharmacol, 68, 110-8.
- Gong P, Huang XE, Chen CY, et al (2012). Comparison of complications of peripherally inserted central catheters with ultrasound guidance or conventional methods in cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1873-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1873
- Huang XE, Li CG, Li Y, et al (2011). Weekly TP Regimen as a Postoperative Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Completely Resected Breast Cancer in China, Final Result of a Phase II Trial. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2797-800.
- Jiang Y, Huang XE, Yan PW, et al (2010). Validation of Treatment Efficacy of a Computer-assisted Program for Breast Cancer Patients receiving Postoperative Adjuvant Chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1059-62.
- Jusko WJ (1978). Role of tobacco smoking in pharmacokinetics. J Pharmacokinet Biopharm, 6, 7-39. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01066061
- Klein R, Wielage R, Muehlenbein C, et al (2010). Costeffectiveness of pemetrexed as first-line maintenance therapy for advanced nonsquamous non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol, 5, 1263-72. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e3181e15d16
- Li CG, Huang XE, Li Y, Lu YY (2011). Clinical observations on safety and efficacy of OxyContin administered by rectal route in treating cancer related pain. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2477-8.
- Li CG, Huang XE, Xu L, Li Y, Lu YY (2012). Clinical application of serum tumor associated material (TAM) from non-small cell lung cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 301-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.301
- Li CG, Huang XE, Li Y (2011). Phase II trial of irinotecan plus nedaplatin (INP) in treating patients with extensive stage small cell lung cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 487-90.
- Li Y, Yan PW, Huang XE, Li CG (2011). MDR1 gene C3435T polymorphism is associated with clinical outcomes in gastric cancer patients treated with postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2405-9.
- Liu W, Li SY, Huang XE, et al (2012). Inhibition of tumor growth in vitro by a combination of extracts from Rosa roxburghii Tratt and Fagopyrum cymosum. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2409-14. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2409
- Marino P, Pampallona S, Preatoni A, Cantoni A, Invernizzi F (1994). Chemotherapy vs supportive care in advanced nonsmall-cell lung cancer. Results of a meta-analysis of the literature. Chest, 106, 861-5. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.106.3.861
- Pfister DG, Johnson DH, Azzoli CG, et al (2004). American Society of Clinical Oncology treatment of unresectable non-small-cell lung cancer guideline, update 2003. J Clin Oncol, 22, 330-53.
- Reck M, von Pawel J, Zatloukal P, et al (2009). Phase III trial of cisplatin plus gemcitabine with either placebo or bevacizumab as first-line therapy for nonsquamous nonsmall-cell lung cancer, AVAil. J Clin Oncol, 27, 1227-34. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.14.5466
- Rodrigues-Pereira J, Kim JH, Magallanes M, et al (2011). A randomized phase 3 trial comparing pemetrexed/carboplatin and docetaxel/carboplatin as first-line treatment for advanced, nonsquamous non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol, 6, 1907-14. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e318226b5fa
- Rossing TH, Rossing RG (1982). Survival in lung cancer. An analysis of the effects of age, sex, resectability, and histopathologic type. Am Rev Respir Dis, 126, 771-7.
- Scagliotti G, Hanna N, Fossella F, et al (2009). The differential efficacy of pemetrexed according to NSCLC histology, a review of two Phase III studies. Oncologist, 14, 253-63. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2008-0232
- Shu J, Li CG, Liu YC, et al (2012). Comparison of serum tumor associated material (TAM) with conventional biomarkers in cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2399-403. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2399
- Sozzi G, Sard L, De Gregorio L, et al (1997). Association between cigarette smoking and FHIT gene alterations in lung cancer. Cancer Res, 57, 2121-3.
- Therasse P, Arbuck SG, Eisenhauer EA, et al (2000). New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, National Cancer Institute of the United States, National Cancer Institute of Canada. J Natl Cancer Inst, 92, 205-16. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/92.3.205
- Xu HX, Huang XE, Li Y, et al (2011). A clinical study on safety and efficacy of Aidi injection combined with chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2233-6.
- Xu HX, Huang XE, Qian ZY, et al (2011). Clinical observation of Endostar combined with chemotherapy in advanced colorectal cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3087-90.
- Xu JW, Li CG, Huang XE, et al (2011). Ubenimex capsule improves general performance and chemotherapy related toxicity in advanced gastric cancer cases. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 985-7.
- Xu T, Xu ZC, Zou Q, Yu B, Huang XE (2012). P53 Arg72Pro polymorphism and bladder cancer risk--meta-analysis evidence for a link in Asians but not Caucasians. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2349-54. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2349
- Yan PW, Huang XE, Jiang Y, et al (2010). A clinical comparison on safety and efficacy of Paclitaxel/Epirubicin (NE) with Fluorouracil/Epirubicin/Cyclophosphamide (FEC) as postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1115-8.
- Yan PW, Huang XE, Yan F, et al (2011). Influence of MDR1 gene codon 3435 polymorphisms on outcome of platinum-based chemotherapy for advanced non small cell lung cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2291-4.
- Yu DS, Huang XE, Zhou JN (2012). Comparative study on the value of anal preserving surgery for aged people with low rectal carcinoma in Jiangsu, China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2339-40. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2339
- Zhang LQ, Huang XE, Wang J, et al (2011). The cyclin D1 G870A polymorphism and colorectal cancer susceptibility, a meta-analysis of 20 populations. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 81-5.
- Zhang XZ, Huang XE, Xu YL, et al (2012). Phase II study on voriconazole for treatment of Chinese patients with malignant hematological disorders and invasive aspergillosis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2415-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2415
- Zhou JN, Huang XE, Ye Z, et al (2009). Weekly paclitaxel/Docetaxel combined with a paltinum in the treatment of advanced non-samll cell lung cancer, a study on efficacy, safety and pre-medication. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 1147-50.
- Zhou Q, Shi Y, Chen J, et al (2011). [Long-term survival of personalized surgical treatment of locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer based on molecular staging]. Zhongguo Fei Ai Za Zhi, 14, 86-106.
- Clinical Observation and Prognostic Analysis of Pemetrexed plus Platinum as First-line Treatment in Patients with Advanced Non-small Cell Lung Cancer vol.14, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6267
- Role of MYH Polymorphisms in Sporadic Colorectal Cancer in China: A Case-control, Population-based Study vol.14, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6403
- Colorectal Cancer Screening in High-risk Populations: a Survey of Cognition among Medical Professionals in Jiangsu, China vol.14, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6487
- Pemetrexed as a Component of First-, Second- and Third-line Chemotherapy in Treating Patients with Metastatic Lung Adenocarcinoma vol.14, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6663
- Experimental Study of Endostar Injection Concomitant with Cryoablation on Lung Adenocarcinoma A549 Xenografts vol.14, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6697
- Phase II Study on Pemetrexed-based Chemotherapy in Treating Patients with Metastatic Gastric Cancer not Responding to Prior Palliative Chemotherapy vol.14, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.2703
- Phase II Study on Breast Conservative Surgery Plus Chemo- and Radiotherapy in Treating Chinese Patients with Early Staged Breast Cancer vol.14, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3747
- Serum Tumor Markers, Hypoxia-Inducible factor-1α HIF-1α and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor, in Patients with Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Before and after Intervention vol.14, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3851
- Potential Therapeutic Efficacy of Curcumin in Liver Cancer vol.14, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3855
- Hsa-miR-181a-5p Expression and Effects on Cell Proliferation in Gastric Cancer vol.14, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3871
- Serum CEA Level Change and Its Significance Before and after Gefitinib Therapy on Patients with Advanced Non-small Cell Lung Cancer vol.14, pp.7, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4205
- Clinical Observations on the Association Between Diagnosis of Lung Cancer and Serum Tumor Markers in Combination vol.14, pp.7, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4369
- Risk Assessment on Anastomotic Leakage after Rectal Cancer Surgery: An Analysis of 753 Patients vol.14, pp.7, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4447
- Variation of Blood T Lymphocyte Subgroups in Patients with Non- small Cell Lung Cancer vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4671
- ) Combined with Chemotherapy in Treating Patients with Advanced Lung Adenocarcinoma vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4791
- Clinical Study on Mannan Peptide Combined with TP Regimen in Treating Patients with Non-small Cell Lung Cancer vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4801
- Acidic Pelvic Drainage as a Predictive Factor For Anastomotic Leakage after Surgery for Patients with Rectal Cancer vol.14, pp.9, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5441
- Further Study on Pemetrexed based chemotherapy in Treating Patients with Advanced Gastric Cancer (AGC) vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6587
- v6 and E-cadherin and Lymphatic Metastasis in Non-small Cell Lung Cancer vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2221
- Analysis of CEA Expression and EGFR Mutation Status in Non-small Cell Lung Cancers vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3451
- Anti-Proliferation Effects and Molecular Mechanisms of Action of Tetramethypyrazine on Human SGC-7901 Gastric Carcinoma Cells vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3581
- Efficacy of Bifidobacterium Tetragenous Viable Bacteria Tablets for Cancer Patients with Functional Constipation vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10241
- Clinical Evaluation of Tumor Markers for Diagnosis in Patients with Non-small Cell Lung Cancer in China vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4891
- Analysis on Early Detection of Lung Cancer by PET/CT Scan vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2215
- Radioactive Seed Implantation and Lobaplatin Chemotherapy Are Safe and Effective in Treating Patients with Advanced Lung Cancer vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.4003
- Clinical Evaluation and Therapeutic Monitoring Value of Serum Tumor Markers in Lung Cancer vol.31, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5301/jbm.5000177