- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Expression and Significance of the Wip1 Proto-oncogene in Colorectal Cancer
- Li, Zong-Tao (Department of Surgery, Hebei Medical University) ;
- Zhang, Liu (Department of Surgery, Hebei Medical University) ;
- Gao, Xiao-Zeng (Department of Surgery, Hebei Medical University) ;
- Jiang, Xiao-Hua (Department of Surgery, Hebei Medical University) ;
- Sun, Li-Qian (Department of Surgery, Hebei Medical University)
- Published : 2013.03.30
Aim: To investigate the level of expression of proto-oncogene Wip1 and its physiological significance in colorectal cancer. Methods: Immunohistochemistry, semi-quantitative RT-PCR, and Western blotting were used to analyze Wip1 mRNA and protein expression in 120 cases of colorectal cancer and normal tissues to study relationships with clinical symptoms and disease prognosis. Results: The level of Wip1 protein expression was found to be significantly higher in colorectal cancer tissues (85% (102/120)) than in normal tissues (30% (36/120)) (P<0.05). The relative amount of Wip1 protein in colorectal cancer tissue was also found to be significantly higher (P<0.05) than in normal tissues (
- Aaron JS, Suet YL, Jane J, et al (2008). Micro RNA Expression Profiles Associated with prognosis and therapeutic outcome in colon adenocarcinoma. JAMA, 299, 425-36. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.299.4.425
- Bulavin DV, Demidov ON, Saito S, et al (2002). Amplification of PPM1D in human tumors abrogates p53 tumor-suppressor activity. Nat Genet, 31, 210-5. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng894
- Castellino RC, De Bortoli M, Lu X, et al (2008). Medulloblastomas overexpress the p53-inactivating oncogene WIP1/PPM1D. J Neurooncol, 86, 245-56. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11060-007-9470-8
- Ding PR, Wan DS, Pan ZZ, et al (2006). Prognostic analysis of 384 male patients with rectal cancer. Cancer, 25, 1158-61.
- Doucette TA, Yang Y, Pedone C, et al (2012). WIP1 enhances tumor formation in a sonic hedgehog-dependent model of medulloblastoma. Neurosurgery, 70, 1002-10.
- Fiscella M, Zhang H, Fan S, et al (1997). Wip1, a novel human prote in phosphatase that is induced in response to ionizing radiation in a p53 - dependent manner. Proc Natl A cad Sci USA, 94, 6048-53. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.94.12.6048
- Fuku T, Semba S, Yutori H, Yokozaki H (2007). Increased wildtype p53 induced phosphatase1 (Wipl or PPM1D) expression correlated with downregulation of checkpoint kinase2 in human gastric carcinoma. Pathol Int, 57, 566-71. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1827.2007.02140.x
- Hayashi R, Tanoue K, Durell SR, et al (2011). Optimization of a cyclic peptide inhibitor of Ser/Thr phosphatase PPM1D (Wip1). Biochemistry, 50, 4537-49. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi101949t
- Hirasawa A, Saito-Ohara F, Inoue J, et a1 (2003). Association of 17q21-q24 gain in ovarian clear cell adenocarcinomas with poor prognosis and identification of PPM1D and APPBP2 as likely amplification targets. Clin Cancer Res, 10, 1995-2004.
- Hu W, Feng Z, Modica I, et al (2010). Gene amplifications in well-differentiated pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors inactivate the p53 pathway. Genes Cancer, 1, 360-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/1947601910371979
- Le Cuezennec X, Bulavin DV (2010). WIP1 phosphatase at the crossroads of cancer and aging. Trends Biochem Sci, 35, 109-14,. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tibs.2009.09.005
- Liang C, Guo E, Lu S, et al (2012). Over-expression of wildtype p53-induced phosphatase 1 confers poor prognosis of patients with gliomas. Brain Res, 1444, 65-75,. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brainres.2011.12.052
- Loukopoulos P, Shibata T, Katoh H, et a1 (2007). Genome-wide array-based comparative genomic hybridization analysis of pancreatic adenocarcinoma, identification of genetic indicators that predict patient outcome. Cancer Sci, 98, 392-400. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2007.00395.x
- Lu X, Bocangel D, Nannenga B, et al (2004). The p53-induced oncogenic phosphatase PPM1D interacts with uracil DNA glycosylase and suppresses base excision repair. Mol Cell, 15, 621-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molcel.2004.08.007
- Lu X, Nannenga B and Donehower LA (2005). PPM1D dephosphorylates Chk1 and p53 and abrogates cell cycle checkpoints. Genes Dev, 19, 1162-74. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.1291305
- Park JY, Song JY, Kim HM, et al (2012). P53-Independent expression of wild-type p53-induced phosphatase 1 (Wip1) in methylmethane sulfonate-treated cancer cell lines and human tumors. Int J Biochem Cell Biol, 44, 896-904. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2012.02.013
- Ren WM, Zhang YY, Luo JF (2012). The PPM1D expression and significance in papillary thyroid carcinoma. Pro Bed Experim Pathol, 28, 623-6.
- Saito OF, Imoto I, Inoue J, et al (2003). PPM1D is a potential target for 17q gain in neurob lastoma. Cancer Res, 63, 1876-83.
- Satoh N, Maniwa Y, Bermudez VP, et al (2011). Oncogenic phosphatase Wip1 is a novel prognostic marker for lung adenocarcinoma patient survival. Cancer Sci, 102, 1101-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2011.01898.x
- Shreeram S, Demidov ON, Hee WK, et al (2006). Wip1 phosphatase modulates ATM-dependent signaling pathways. Mol Cell, 23, 754-64.
- Spinnler C, Hedstrom E, Li H, et al (2011). Abrogation of Wip1 expression by RITA-activated p53 potentiates apoptosis induction via activation of ATM and inhibition of HdmX. Cell Death Differ, 18, 1736-45. https://doi.org/10.1038/cdd.2011.45
- Wan D (2009). Epidemiologic trend of and strategies for colorectal cancer. Chin J Cancer, 9, 897-902.
- Wang P, Rao J, Yang H, Zhao H, Yang L (2011). Wip1 overexpression correlated with TP53/p14(ARF) pathway disruption in human astrocytomas. J Surg Oncol, 104, 679-84. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.22004
- Yu E, Ahn YS, Jang SJ, et al (2007). Over expression of the wip1 gene abrogates the p38 MAPK/P53/Wip1 pathway and silences p16 expression in human breast cancers. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 101, 269-78. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-006-9304-y
- DEPTOR Expression Negatively Correlates with mTORC1 Activity and Tumor Progression in Colorectal Cancer vol.15, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4589
- Down-regulated MYH11 Expression Correlates with Poor Prognosis in Stage II and III Colorectal Cancer vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7223
- WIP1 regulates the proliferation and invasion of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in vitro vol.35, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-2034-6
- Hedgehog Signaling in the Maintenance of Cancer Stem Cells vol.7, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers7030851
- Clinical significance of Wip1 overexpression and its association with the p38MAPK/p53/p16 pathway in NSCLC vol.15, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2016.6032
- Wip1 gene silencing enhances the chemosensitivity of human colon cancer cells vol.14, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2017.6361