- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Oral Cancer Awareness and its Determinants among a Selected Malaysian Population
- Ghani, Wan Maria Nabillah (Oral Cancer Research and Coordinating Centre (OCRCC), Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya) ;
- Doss, Jennifer Geraldine (Oral Cancer Research and Coordinating Centre (OCRCC), Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya) ;
- Jamaluddin, Marhazlinda (Dental Research & Training Unit, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya) ;
- Kamaruzaman, Dinan (Oral Cancer Research and Coordinating Centre (OCRCC), Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya) ;
- Zain, Rosnah Binti (Oral Cancer Research and Coordinating Centre (OCRCC), Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya)
- Published : 2013.03.30
Objective: To assess oral cancer awareness, its associated factors and related sources of information among a selected group of Malaysians. Methods: A cross-sectional survey was conducted on all Malaysian ethnic groups aged
Supported by : University of Malaya
- Amarasinghe HK, Usgodaarachchi US, Johnson NW, Lalloo R, Warnakulasuriya S (2010). Public awareness of oral cancer, of oral potentially malignant disorders and of their risk factors in some rural populations in Sri Lanka. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, 38, 540-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2010.00566.x
- Ariyawardana A, Vithanaarachchi N (2005). Awareness of oral cancer and precancer among patients attending a hospital in Sri Lanka. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 58-61.
- Balaram P, Sridhar H, Rajkumar T, et al (2002). Oral Cancer in Southern India: The Influence of Smoking, Drinking, Paan-Chewing and Oral Hygiene. Int J Cancer, 98, 440-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10200
- Bandura A (1977) Self-efficacy toward a unifying theory of behavioral change. Psychol Rev, 84, 191-215 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- Canto MT, Horowitz AM, Goodman HS, et al (1998). Maryland veterans' knowledge of risk factors for and signs of oral cancers and their use of dental services. Gerodontology 15, 79-86. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.1998.00079.x
- Cruz GD, Le Geros RZ, Ostroff JS, et al (2002). Oral cancer knowledge, risk factors and characteristics of subjects in a large oral cancer screening program. J Am Dent Assoc, 133, 1064-71. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2002.0330
- De Stefani E, Bofetta P, Deneo-Pellegrini H, et al (2007). The effect of smoking and drinking in oral and pharyngeal cancers: a case-control study in Uruguay. Cancer Letters 246, 282-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2006.03.008
- De Stefani E, Bofetta P, Ronco AL, et al (2005). Dietary patterns and risk of cancer of the oral cavity and pharynx in Uruguay. Nutr Cancer, 51, 132-9. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327914nc5102_2
- Devadiga A, Prasad KV (2010). Knowledge about oral cancer in adults attending a dental hospital in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1609-13.
- Doss JG, Thomson WM, Drummond BK, Raja Latifah RJ (2011). Validity of the FACT-H&N (v 4.0) among Malaysian oral cancer patients. Oral Oncol, 47, 648-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2011.04.023
- Drummond SN, Gomez RS, Motta Noronha JC, et al (2005). Association between GSTT1 gene deletion and the susceptibility to oral squamous cell carcinoma in cigarette smoking subjects. Oral Oncol, 41, 515-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2004.12.014
- Elango JK, Sundaram KR, Gangadharan P, et al (2009). Factors affecting oral cancer awareness in a high-risk population in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 627-30.
- Ghani WM, Razak IA, Yang YH, et al (2011). Factors affecting commencement and cessation of betel quid chewing behaviour in Malaysian adults. BMC Public Hlth, 11, 82. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-11-82
- Hay JL, Ostroff JS, Cruz GD, et al (2002). Oral cancer risk perception among participants in an oral cancer screening program. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 11, 155-8.
- Horowitz AM, Nourjah P, Gift HC (1995). US adult knowledge of risk factors and signs of oral cancers: 1990. J Am Dent Asoc 126, 39-45. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1995.0022
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics.CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Johnson NW (2003). Aetiology and risk factors for oral cancer. In 'A textbook of oral cancer', Eds Dunitz M London, pp 33-75.
- Johnson NW, Bain CA (2000). Tobacco and oral health. Br Dent J, 189, 200-6.
- Lawoyin JO, Aderinokun GA, Kolude B, Adekoya SM, Ogundipe BF (2003). Oral cancer awareness and prevalence of risk behaviours among dental patients in south-western Nigeria. Afr J Med Sci, 32, 203-7.
- Lin WJ, Jiang RS, Wu SH, Chen FJ, Liu SA (2011). Smoking, alcohol, and betel quid and oral cancer: a prospective cohort study. J Oncol, 525, 976.
- Lohavanichbutr P, Houck J, Fan W, et al (2009). Genome wide gene expression profiles of HPV-positive and HPV-negative oropharyngeal cancer: potential implications for treatment choices. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 135, 180-8. https://doi.org/10.1001/archoto.2008.540
- Lowry RJ, Craven MA (1999). Smokers' and drinkers' awareness of oral cancer: a qualitative study using focus groups. Br Dent J, 187, 668-70.
- Lu CY (2009). Observational studies: a review of study designs, challenges and strategies to reduce confounding. Int J Clin Pract, 63, 691-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-1241.2009.02056.x
- Omar ZA, Ali ZM, Tamin NSI (2006). Malaysian Cancer Statistics- Data and Figure Peninsula Malaysia 2006. National Cancer Registry, Ministry of Health Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.
- Pakfetrat A, Falaki F, Esmaily HO, Shabestari S (2010). Oral cancer knowledge among patients referred to Mashhad Dental School, Iran. Arch Iran Med 13, 543-8.
- Peker I, Alkurt MT (2010). Public awareness level of oral cancer in a group of dental patients. J Contempt Dent Prac, 11, 49-56.
- Petty S, Scully C (2007). Oral cancer knowledge and awareness: primary and secondary effects of an information leaflet. Oral Oncol, 43, 408-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2006.04.010
- Prayman E, Yang YH, Warnakulasuriya S (2009). Oral cancer awareness of patients attending health centres in Trinidad. Int J Clin Dent, 2, 1-11.
- Rogers SN, Hunter R, Lowe D (2011a). Awareness of oral cancer in the Mersey region. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 49, 176-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2010.04.004
- Rogers SN, Vedpathak SV, Lowe D (2011b). Reasons for delayed presentation in oral and pharyngeal cancer: the patient perspective. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 49, 349-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2010.06.018
- Schwarzer R, Luszczynska A (2005). Self- Efficacy Beliefs of Adolescents. Information Age Publishing.
- Srikanth Reddy B, Doshi D, Padma Reddy M, et al (2011). Oral cancer awareness and knowledge among dental patients in South India. J Craniomaxillofac Surg, 40, 521-4.
- Tan BS, Ng KH, Esa R (2001). Health beliefs in oral cancer: Malaysian estate Indian scenario. Patient Educ Couns 42, 205-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0738-3991(00)00121-X
- Warnakulasuriya S (2009). Global epidemiology of oral and oropharyngeal cancer. Oral Oncol, 45, 309-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2008.06.002
- Warnakulasuriya KA, Harris CK, Scarrott DM, et al (1999). An alarming lack of public awareness towards oral cancer. Br Dent J, 187, 319-22.
- West R, Alkhatib MN, McNeill A, Bedi R (2006). Awareness of mouth cancer in Great Britain. Br Dent J, 200, 167-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4813197
- World Health Organization (1984). Control of cancer in developing countries. Bull of Wld Hlth Org, 62, 817-30.
- Yen TT, Lin WD, Wang CP, Wang CC, Liu SA (2008). The association of smoking, alcoholic consumption, betel quid chewing and oral cavity cancer: a cohort study. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol, 265, 1403-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-008-0659-z
- Zain RB, Ikeda N, Razak IA, et al (1997). A National Epidemiological survey of Oral Mucosal Lesions in Malaysia. Comm Dent Oral Epidemiol, 25, 377-83. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1997.tb00959.x
- Incidence of Adverse Transition in Smoking Stages among Adolescents of Kinta, Perak vol.14, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6769
- Association between the TP53 codon 72 polymorphism and risk of oral squamous cell carcinoma in Asians: a meta-analysis vol.14, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-14-469
- Awareness of Cancer and Cancer Screening by Korean Community Residents vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4939
- Effectiveness of an Intervention Program on Knowledge of Oral Cancer among the Youth of Jazan, Saudi Arabia vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.1913
- Assessing Oral Cancer Knowledge in Romanian Undergraduate Dental Students vol.29, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-014-0659-1
- Knowledge and Opinions Regarding Oral Cancer among Yemeni Dental Students vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1765
- Oral Cancer Awareness of the General Public in Saudi Arabia vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3377
- Oral cancer awareness and knowledge among residents in the Oporto city, Portugal vol.7, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/jicd.12158
- A cross-sectional survey of the Maltese general public on medication wastage vol.38, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11096-015-0233-x
- Oral Cancer Awareness Among Dental Patients in Omdurman, Sudan: a cross-sectional Study vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12903-017-0351-z
- RŪKANČIŲ STUDENTŲ ŽINIOS APIE RŪKYMO ĮTAKĄ BURNOS SVEIKATAI vol.27, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5200/sm-hs.2017.002
- Public awareness of oral cancer among adults in Jakarta, Indonesia pp.20411618, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jicd.12379
- Multi-ethnic variations in the practice of oral cancer risk habits in a developing country pp.1354523X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/odi.12995
- Patterns and Determinants of Attitudes towards Genetic Risk of Cancer: Case Study in a Malaysian Public University vol.2018, pp.2314-6141, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/4682431