- Volume 14 Issue 3
Background: Associations between the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) A1298C polymorphism and esophageal cancer risk have been reported in many articles recently, but results were controversial. Therefore the present meta-analysis was conducted to to provide a more precise estimation. Methods: Odds ratios (ORs) with 95% confidence intervals (CIs) were used to evaluate the strength of associations. Results: Finally, six case-control studies involving a total of 1,302 cases and 2,391controls for the A1298C polymorphism were included. The meta-analysis showed that significantly increased risk for Asians (CC versus AA, OR=3.799, 95%CI=1.541-9.365, P=0.004; CCversusCA+AA, OR=3.997, 95%CI=1.614-9.900, P=0.003) and Caucasians (CC versus AA, OR=1.797, 95%CI=1.335-2.418, P=0.000; CC+CA versus AA,OR=1.240, 95%CI=1.031-1.492, P=0.022; CCversusCA+AA, OR=1.693, 95%CI=1.280-2.240, P=0.000). In addition, there was an association with risk for both ESCC (CC versus AA, OR=2.529, 95%CI=1.688-3.788, P=0.000; CCversusCA+AA, OR=2.572, 95%CI=1.761-3.758, P=0.000) and esophageal adenocarcinoma (EAC) (CC versus AA, OR=1.592, 95%CI=1.139-2.227, P=0.007; CC+CA versus AA,OR=1.247, 95%CI=1.016-1.530, P=0.035; CCversusCA+AA, OR=1.466, 95%CI=1.069-2.011, P=0.018). Conclusion: This meta-analysis suggested associations of the A1298C polymorphism with increased risk of esophageal cancer in both Asians and Caucasians. In addition, we found that the MTHFR A1298C polymorphism might influence risk ofESCC and EAC in the overall studies.
- Chen J, Giovannucci E, Kelsey K, et al (1996). A methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase polymorphism and the risk of colorectal cancer. Cancer Res, 56, 4862-4.
- Dong LM, Potter JD, White E, et al (2008). Genetic susceptibility to cancer: the role of polymorphisms in candidate genes. JAMA, 299, 2423-36. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.299.20.2423
- de Cassia Carvalho Barbosa R, da Costa DM, Cordeiro DE, et al (2012). Interaction of MTHFR C677T and A1298C, and MTR A2756G gene polymorphisms in breast cancer risk in a population in Northeast Brazil. Anticancer Res, 32,4805-11.
- Ekiz F, Ormeci N, Coban S, et al (2012). Association of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T-A1298C polymorphisms with risk for esophageal adenocarcinoma, Barrett's esophagus, and reflux esophagitis. Dis Esophagus, 25, 437-41. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2050.2011.01262.x
- Fang, Y, Fu X, Zhou A, et al (2011). Systematic review on the relationship between genetic polymorphisms of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase and esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1861-6.
- Farrow DC, Vaughan TL, Sweeney C, et al (2000). Gastroesophageal reflux disease, use of H2 receptor antagonists, and risk of esophageal and gastric cancer. Cancer Causes Control, 11, 231-8. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008913828105
- Gao CM, Toshiro T, Wu JZ, et al (2004). [A case-control study on the polymorphisms of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase 1298A-->C and susceptibility of esophageal cancer]. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi, 25, 341-5.
- Higgins JP, Thompson SG, Deeks JJ, et al (2003). Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses. BMJ, 327, 557-60. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.327.7414.557
- Ibiebele TI, Hughes MC, Pandeya N, et al (2011). High intake of folate from food sources is associated with reduced risk of esophageal cancer in an Australian population. J Nutr, 141, 274-83. https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.110.131235
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Lau J, Ioannidis JP, Schmid CH, et al (1997). Quantitative synthesis in systematic reviews. Ann Intern Med, 127, 820-6. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-127-9-199711010-00008
- Li H, Xu WL, Shen HL, et al (2011). Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase genotypes and haplotypes associated with susceptibility to colorectal cancer in an eastern Chinese Han population. Genet Mol Res, 10, 3738-46. https://doi.org/10.4238/2011.December.14.8
- Lin J, Zeng R, Cao W, et al (2011). Hot beverage and food intake and esophageal cancer in southern China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2189-92.
- Mantel N, Haenszel WS (1959). Statistical aspects of the analysis of data from retrospective studies of disease. J Natl Cancer Inst, 22, 719-48.
- Peters JL, Sutton AJ, Jones DR, et al (2006). Comparison of two methods to detect publication bias in meta-analysis. JAMA, 295, 676-80. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.295.6.676
- Song C, Xing D, Tan W, et al (2001). Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase polymorphisms increase risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in a Chinese population. Cancer Res, 61, 3272-5.
- Stolzenberg-Solomon RZ, Qiao YL, Abnet CC, et al (2003). Esophageal and gastric cardia cancer risk and folate- and vitamin B(12)-related polymorphisms in Linxian, China. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 12, 1222-6.
- Umar M, Upadhyay R, Khurana R, et al (2010). Evaluation of MTHFR677C>T polymorphism in prediction and prognosis of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma: a case-control study in a northern Indian population. Nutr Cancer, 62, 743-9. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581003605961
- Wheeler JB, Reed CE (2012).Epidemiology of esophageal cancer. Surg Clin North Am, 92, 1077-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suc.2012.07.008
- Yu MC, Garabrant DH, Peters JM, et al (1988). Tobacco, alcohol, diet, occupation, and carcinoma of the esophagus. Cancer Res, 48, 3843-8.
- Zhang LW, Wu MB, Wang YP, et al (2008). Study on relationship between genetic polymorphisms in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase and risk of Kazakh's esophageal cancer in Xinjiang. Chin J Cancer Prevand Treat, 17, 1294-304.
- Zhang Y, Chen GQ, Ji Y, et al (2012). Quantitative assessment of the effect of MTHFR polymorphisms on the risk of lung carcinoma. Mol Biol Rep, 39, 6203-11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-011-1439-1
- Zhao P, Lin F, Li Z, et al (2011). Folate intake, methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase polymorphisms, and risk of esophageal cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2019-23.
- Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase Polymorphisms and Susceptibility to Esophageal Cancer in Chinese Populations: a Meta-analysis vol.15, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1345
- C1420T Polymorphism of Cytosolic Serine Hydroxymethyltransferase and Risk of Cancer: a Meta-analysis vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2257
- Quantitative assessment of the association between MTHFR rs1801131 polymorphism and risk of liver cancer vol.35, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-013-1046-y
- Role of +405C>G and +936C>T Polymorphisms of the Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Gene and Risk of Esophageal Cancer in the Kashmiri Population vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.97
- Cumulative evidence for association between genetic polymorphisms and esophageal cancer susceptibility: A review with evidence from meta-analysis and genome-wide association studies pp.20457634, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.1972