- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Increased Migration and Local Invasion Potential of SiHa Cervical Cancer Cells Expressing Aquaporin 8
- Shi, Yong-Hua (Department of Pathology, Basic Medicine School of Xinjiang Medical University) ;
- Rehemu, Nijiati (Department of Pathology, Basic Medicine School of Xinjiang Medical University) ;
- Ma, Hong (Department of Pathology, Basic Medicine School of Xinjiang Medical University) ;
- Tuokan, Talafu (Department of Pathology, Basic Medicine School of Xinjiang Medical University) ;
- Chen, Rui (Department of Gynecology, Third Affiliated Hospital of Xinjiang Medical University) ;
- Suzuke, Lalai (Department of Pathology, Basic Medicine School of Xinjiang Medical University)
- Published : 2013.03.30
Overexpression of several aquaporins (AQPS) has been reported in different types of human cancer but roles in human carcinogenesis have yet to be clearly defined. Here, we up-regulated expression of the AQP8 gene in SiHa human cervical cancer cells with a lentivirus transfection system and investigated its effects as a potential therapeutic target for cervical cancer. Results showed AQP8 overexpression did not affect their substrate adherence and proliferation, but accelerated migration as assessed by transwell migration and wound healing assays. Moreover, AQP8 overexpression significantly enhanced local invasion of SiHa cells in nude mice. These findings altogether indicate that AQP8 overexpression increases migration of SiHa cells and probably participates in the process of tumor local invasion.
- Castellani S, DiGioia S, Trotta T, et al (2010). Impact of lentiviral vector-mediated transduction on the tightness of apolarized model of airway epithelium and effect of cationic polymer polyethylenimine. J Biomed Biotechnol, 2010, 103976.
- Chae YK, Kang SK, Kim MS, et al (2008). Human AQP5 plays a role in the progression of chronic myelogenous leukemia(CML). PLoS One, 3, e2594. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0002594
- Chen Z, Zhang Z, Gu Y, et al (2011). Impaired migration and cell volume regulation in aquaporin 5-deficient SPC-A1 cells. Respir Physiol Neurobiol, 176, 110-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resp.2011.02.001
- Farivar TN, Johari P, Shafei S, et al (2012). Lack of association between herpes simplex virus type 2 infection and cervical cancer--Taq Man realtime PCR assay findings. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 339-42. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.339
- Galamb O, Gyorffy B, Sipos F (2007). Identification of colorectal cancer, adenoma, and inflammatory bowel disease specific gene expression patterns using whole genomic -oligonucleotide microarray system. Orv Hetil, 148, 2067-79. https://doi.org/10.1556/OH.2007.28157
- Harlozinska A (2005). Progress in molecular mechanisms of tumor metastasis and angiogenesis. Anticancer Res, 25, 3327-33.
- Hu J, Verkman AS (2006). Increased migration and metastatic potential of tumor cells expressing aquaporin water channels. FASEB J, 20, E1228-36.
- Jablonski EM, Mattocks MA, Sokolov E, et al (2007). Decreased aquaporin expression leads to increased resistance to apoptosis in hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Lett, 250, 36-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2006.09.013
- Jiang Y(2009). Aquaporin-1 Activity of Plasma Membrane Affects HT20 Colon Cancer Cell Migration. IUBMB Life, 61, 1001-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/iub.243
- Kusayama M, Wada K, Nagata M, et al (2011). Critical role of aquaporin 3 on growth of human esophageal and oral squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Sci, 102, 1128-36. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2011.01927.x
- Li Q, Zhang W, Zhang B (2010). The correlation between the expression of AQP1 and angiogenesis ability in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi, 4, 1115-8.
- Saadoun S, Papadopoulos MC, Hara-Chikuma M, et al (2005). Impairment of angiogenesis and cell migration by targeted aquaporin-1 gene disruption. Nature, 434, 786-92. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature03460
- Verkman AS, Hara-Chikuma M, Papadopoulos MC(2008). Aquaporins new players in cancer biology. J Mol Med, 86, 523-29. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00109-008-0303-9
- Wang W, Li Q, Yang T, et al (2012). Expression of AQP5 and AQP8 in human colorectal carcinoma and their clinical significance. World J Surg Oncol, 13, 242.
- Xie Y, Wen X, Jiang Z, et al (2012). Aquaporin 1 and aquaporin 4 are involved in invasion of lung cancer cells. Clin Lab, 58, 75-80.
- Yao JF, Zhou CY, Wei LF, et al (2008). Expression of aquaporin-8 and bcl-2 protein in human cervical carcinoma and their correlations. Zhonghua Fu Chan Ke Za Zhi, 43, 205-8.
- Aquaporin 3 promotes prostate cancer cell motility and invasion via extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2-mediated matrix metalloproteinase-3 secretion vol.11, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2014.3097
- Aquaporin 8 Involvement in Human Cervical Cancer SiHa Migration via the EGFR-Erk1/2 Pathway vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6391
- RhoC Mediates Invasion and Migration of CaSki Cells Through the Rho-Associated Serine-Threonine Protein Kinase 1 Signaling Pathway vol.24, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1097/IGC.0000000000000053
- Differential Expression of Aquaporins in Cervical Precursor Lesions and Invasive Cervical Cancer vol.23, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1177/1933719116646202
- Ion channels or aquaporins as novel molecular targets in gastric cancer vol.16, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12943-017-0622-y
- Mechanisms of Aquaporin-Facilitated Cancer Invasion and Metastasis vol.6, pp.2296-2646, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fchem.2018.00135