- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Incidence Trends of Colorectal Cancer in the West of Iran During 2000-2005
- Abdifard, Edris (Students Research Committee, Kermanshah University Of Medical Sciences) ;
- Ghaderi, Shahab (Students Research Committee, Kermanshah University Of Medical Sciences) ;
- Hosseini, Saman (Students Research Committee, Kermanshah University Of Medical Sciences) ;
- Heidari, Mohammad (Department Of Epidemiology, Kermanshah University Of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2013.03.30
Background: Colorectal cancer is a main leading cause of cancer death in western countries. Although many studies have been conducted on incidence trends all over the world in recent years, information regarding changes in incidence of colorectal cancer in Iran is insufficient. The present study of colorectal cancer in the west of Iran during recent years was therefore performed. Materials and Methods: The registered data for colorectal cancer cases in National Cancer Registry System were extracted from the Ministry of Health and Medical Education, Center for Disease Control and Management. The codes from 18-21 among cancers were selected for colon and rectum cancers. Incidence rates were standardized directly using WHO population. The significance of incidence rate trends during 2000-2005 was tested through Poisson regression. Results: 762 cases of colorectal cancer were observed during 6 years in this region, with a gender ratio of men to women of 1.2. It increased from 65 cases in 2000 to 213 cases in 2005 or from 1.5 per100,000 per persons per year to 4.8. Significant increasing trends were evident in Kermanshah and Hamadan provinces; however, change did not reach significance in Ilam and Kurdistan provinces. Conclusions: Colorectal cancer has an increasing trend in the west of Iran. Although it seems that the increasing rate of colorectal cancer is due to increasing of cancer risk factors, some proportion may be related to the improvement of surveillance systems in Iran.
- Balducci L (2005). Epidemiology of cancer and aging. J Oncol Manag, 14, 47-50.
- Bhurgri Y, Kha NT, Kayani N (2011). Incidence and current trends of colorectal malignancies in an unscreened, low risk population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 703-8.
- Center MM, Jemal A, Ward E (2009). International trends in colorectal cancer incidence rates. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 18, 1688-94. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-09-0090
- Chen CJ, You SL, Lin LH, et al (2002). Cancer epidemiology and control in Taiwan: a brief review. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 32, 66-81. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hye138
- Cheung DY, Kim TH, Kim CW, et al (2008). The anatomical distribution of colorectal cancer in Korea: evaluation of the incidence of proximal and distal lesions and synchronous adenomas. Intern Med, 47, 1649-54. https://doi.org/10.2169/internalmedicine.47.1269
- Constance P, Valerie V, Calum M (2000). International Classification of Disease for Oncology, WHO, Geneva.
- De KI, Wong CS, Chia KS, et al (2008). Gender differences in the trend of colorectal cancer incidence in Singapore, 1968-2002. Int J Colorectal Dis, 23, 461-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-007-0421-9
- Denton M, Prus S, Walters V (2004). Gender differences in health: a Canadian study of the psychosocial, structural and behavioral determinants of health. Soc Sci Med, 58, 2585-600. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2003.09.008
- Franco A, Sikalidis AK, Solis Herruzo JA (2005). Colorectal cancer: influence of diet and lifestyle factors. Rev Esp Enferm Dig, 97, 432-48.
- Grocott P, Richardson A, Ambaum B, et al (2001). Nursing in colorectal cancer initiative: the audit phase. Part 2. Content validity of the audit tool and implications of the standards set for clinical practice. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 5, 165-73. https://doi.org/10.1054/ejon.2001.0140
- Haidari M, Nikbakht MR, Pasdar Y, et al (2012). Trend analysis of gastric cancer incidence in iran and its six geographical areas during 2000-2005. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3335-41. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3335
- Jackson-Thompson J, Ahmed F, German RR, et al (2006). Descriptive epidemiology of colorectal cancer in the United States, 1998-2001. Cancer, 107, 1103-11. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22007
- Jackson R (2007). An early selective Medline: Henry Stelwagon's 1916 textbook of dermatology 2. J Cutan Med Surg, 11, 191-4.
- Janout V, Kollarova H (2001). Epidemiology of colorectal cancer. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub, 145, 5-10. https://doi.org/10.5507/bp.2001.001
- Kotake K, Honjo S, Sugihara K, et al (2003). Changes in colorectal cancer during a 20-year period: an extended report from the multi-institutional registry of large bowel cancer, Japan. Dis Colon Rectum, 46, 32-43.
- Kuriki K, Tajima K (2006). The increasing incidence of colorectal cancer and the preventive strategy in Japan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 495-501.
- Mahmmod HM, Mahmood S (2012). Colorectal cancer in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: Need for Screening. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3809-13. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3809
- Missaoui N, Jaidaine L, Abdelkader AB, et al (2011). Colorectal Cancer in Central Tunisia: Increasing Incidence Trends over a 15-Year Period. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1073-6.
- Mousavi SM, Donlo M, Haj SM et al(2007). Iranian Annual National Cancer Registration Report 2005-2006. Ministry of Health and Medical Education, Office of Deputy Minister for Health ,Center for Disease Control Cancer Office.
- Mousavi SM, Somi MH (2009). Gastric cancer in Iran 1966-2006. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 407-12.
- Norat T, Bingham S, Ferrari P, et al (2005). Meat, fish, and colorectal cancer risk: the European prospective Investigation into cancer and nutrition. J Natl Cancer Inst, 97, 906-16. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/dji164
- Norat T, Riboli E (2003). Dairy products and colorectal cancer. a review of possible mechanisms and epidemiological evidence. Eur J Clin Nutr, 57, 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1601522
- Norgaard M, Iversen LH, Sorensen HT (2005). Colorectal cancer. Incidence and risk factors. Ugeskr Laeger, 167, 4157-9.
- O'Connell JB, Maggard MA, Liu JH, et al (2003). Rates of colon and rectal cancers are increasing in young adults. Am Surg, 69, 866-72.
- Pahlavan PS, Kanthan R (2006). The epidemiology and clinical findings of colorectal cancer in Iran. J Gastrointest Liver Dis, 15, 15-9.
- Parkin DM (2004). International variation. Oncogene, 23, 6329-40. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1207726
- Ponz de Leon M, Marino M, Benatti P, et al (2004). Trend of incidence, subsite distribution and staging of colorectal neoplasms in the 15-year experience of a specialized cancer registry. Annals of Oncol, 15, 940-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdh224
- Sung JJ, Lau JY, Goh KL, et al (2005). Increasing incidence of colorectal cancer in Asia: implications for screening. Lancet Oncol, 6, 871-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(05)70422-8
- Turkiewicz D, Miller B, Schache D, et al (2001). Young patients with colorectal cancer: how do they fare? ANZ J Surg, 71, 707-10. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1445-1433.2001.02272.x
- Wong MT, Eu KW (2007). Rise of colorectal cancer in Singapore: an epidemiological review. ANZ J Surg, 77, 446-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1445-2197.2007.04092.x
- Xie W CH,Chan MH, Mak K Ch, et al (2012). Trends in the Incidence of 15 Common Cancers in Hong Kong, 1983-2008. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3911-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3911
- Yang L, Parkin DM, Ferlay J, et al (2005). Estimates of cancer incidence in China for 2000 and projections for 2005. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14, 243-50.
- Yavari P, Hislop TG, Bajdik C, et al (2006). Comparison of cancer incidence in Iran and Iranian immigrants to British Columbia, Canada. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 86-90.
- Yee YK, Gu Q, Hung I, et al (2010). Trend of colorectal cancer in Hong Kong: 1983-2006. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 25, 923-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2009.06130.x
- Yiu HY, Whittemore AS, Shibata A (2004). Increasing colorectal cancer incidence rates in Japan. Int J Cancer, 109, 777-81. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.20030
- Gastrointestinal, Liver and Biliary Tract Pathology: A Histopathological and Epidemiological Perspective from Pakistan with a Review of the Literature vol.14, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6997
- Overview of Cancer Registration Research in the Asian Pacific from 2008-2013 vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4461
- Survival of Colorectal Cancer Patients in the Presence of Competing-Risk vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6253
- Outcome of Rectal Cancer in Patients Aged 30 Years or Less in the Pakistani Population vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6339
- Secondary Circulating Tumor Cells (CTCs) but not Primary CTCs are Associated with the Clinico-Pathological Parameters in Chilean Patients With Colo-Rectal Cancer vol.16, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.11.4745
- Risk Factors and Epidemiology of Gastric Cancer in Pakistan vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4821
- Increasing Trend in Colorectal Cancer Incidence in the Southeast of Iran 2003-2013: A Population Based Cancer Registry Study vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5257
- Temporal Epidemiological Assessment of Colorectal Cancer Incidence and Mortality in East Kazakhstan, 2004-2013 vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6413
- A Systematic Review Over the Incidence of Colorectal Cancer in Iran vol.3, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.17795/acr-25724
- Commonest Cancers in Pakistan - Findings and Histopathological Perspective from a Premier Surgical Pathology Center in Pakistan vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1061
- Survival of Colorectal Cancer in the Presence of Competing-Risks - Modeling by Weibull Distribution vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1193