- Volume 14 Issue 3
Recently there have been numerous advances in understanding the genetic basis of cancer which have resulted in more appropriate treatments. In this paper we describe the experience of the Burzynski Clinic, involved in treatment of numerous patients based on personalized approach using novel combinations for difficult-to-treat malignancies, with gynecological cancers. This retrospective study was conducted by extracting data from Burzynski Clinic's medical records and comprehensive review. Among the advanced refractory ovarian cancers cases (N=33), an objective response (OR) was found in 42.4%. We anticipate that with improved technology and novel therapeutics this rate will increase and adverse events will be reduced.
- Berek JS, Natarajan S (2007). Ovarian and Fallopian Tube Cancer. In. Berek JS, editor. Berek & Novak's Gynecology, 14th edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1458-1549.
- Berkenblit A, Seiden MV, Matulonis UA, et al (2004). A phase II trial of weekly docetaxel in patients with platinum-resistant epithelial ovarian, primary peritoneal serous cancer, or fallopian tube cancer. Gynecol Oncol, 95, 624-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2004.08.028
- Burzynski SR, Janicki TJ, Weaver RA, et al (2006). Targeted therapy with antineoplastons A10 and AS2-1 of high-grade, recurrent, and progressive brainstem glioma. Integrative Cancer Therapies, 5, 40-7. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735405285380
- Bolis G, Scarfone G, Giardina G, et al (2001). Carboplatin alone vs carboplatin plus epidoxorubicin as second-line therapy for cisplatin- or carboplatin-sensitive ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol, 81, 3-9. https://doi.org/10.1006/gyno.2001.6151
- Campos SM, Ghosh S (2010). A current review of targeted therapeutics for ovarian cancer. J Oncology, 2010, 149-362.
- Cannistra SA, Matulonis UA, Penson RT, et al (2007). Phase II study of bevacizumab in patients with platinum-resistant ovarian cancer or peritoneal serous cancer. J Clin Oncol, 25, 5180-6. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.12.0782
- Elias TD (2001). The Burzynski Breakthrough. Nevada City;Sheridan Books.
- Cantù MG, Buda A, Parma G, et al (2002). Randomized controlled trial of single-agent paclitaxel versus cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and cisplatin in patients with recurrent ovarian cancer who responded to first-line platinum-based regimens. J Clin Oncol, 20, 1232-7. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.20.5.1232
- Gordon AN, Fleagle JT, Guthrie D, et al (2001). Recurrent epithelial ovarian carcinoma: a randomized phase III study of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin versus topotecan. J Clin Oncol, 19, 3312-22.
- Mutch DG, Orlando M, Goss T, et al (2007). Randomized phase III trial of gemcitabine compared with pegylated liposomal doxorubicin in patients with platinum-resistant ovarian cancer. J Clin Oncol, 25, 2811-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.09.6735
- NCI (2012). Ovarian Epithelial Cancer Treatment: Recurrent or Persistent Ovarian Epithelial Cancer Treatment. Available at http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/ovarianepithelial/HealthProfessional/page6 Updated on February 13, 2013.
- NCI (2012). Cervical Cancer Treatment: Recurrent Cervical Cancer. Available at http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/cervical/HealthProfessional/page13 Updated on February 13, 2013.
- Parmar MK, Ledermann JA, Colombo N, et al (2003). Paclitaxel plus platinum-based chemotherapy versus conventional platinum-based chemotherapy in women with relapsed ovarian cancer: the ICON4/AGO-OVAR-2.2 trial. Lancet, 361, 2099-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)13718-X
- Pfisterer J, Plante M, Vergote I, et al (2006). Gemcitabine plus carboplatin compared with carboplatin in patients with platinum-sensitive recurrent ovarian cancer: an intergroup trial of the AGO-OVAR, the NCIC CTG, and the EORTC GCG. J Clin Oncol, 24, 4699-707. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.06.0913
- Rosenberg P, Andersson H, Boman K, et al (2002). Randomized trial of single agent paclitaxel given weekly versus every three weeks and with per oral versus intravenous steroid premedication to patients with ovarian cancer previously treated with platinum. Acta Oncol, 41, 418-24. https://doi.org/10.1080/028418602320404998
- ten Bokkel HW, Gore M, Carmichael J, et al (1997). Topotecan versus paclitaxel for the treatment of recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer. J Clin Oncol, 15, 2183-93.
- Synergistic Effects of PectaSol-C Modified Citrus Pectin an Inhibitor of Galectin-3 and Paclitaxel on Apoptosis of Human SKOV-3 Ovarian Cancer Cells vol.14, pp.12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7561
- Intra-Peritoneal Cisplatin Combined with Intravenous Paclitaxel in Optimally Debulked Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer Patients: An Izmir Oncology Group Study vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6165
- Evaluation of Effects of Metformin in Primary Ovarian Cancer Cells vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.6973